2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

I would love for Evans to come back to Green Bay.  But at the same time, I want Madison, McCray, and Amichia to have every opportunity to win that job and be a starting G for the next 7 or so years.  They are 23, 25, and 23 years of age, while Evans is 34.  I don't think Evans is done, but he is not the future.  I doubt any of them will be ready to be a full time starter this season, so I would probably bring back Evans.  Groom Madison for RG next season, make McCray the Super-Sub, and give Amichia one more season to see if he can maximize his athletic potential.

At this point in their careers, are Fleener and Kendricks much different? They had quite similar stats last season.  IMO we don't need 3 veteran TEs on the roster.  Try to develop one of the younger players, a 3rd TE is not likely to get a lot of playing time with the offense anyway.  That rookie will cost significantly less money as well.

I still would feel more comfortable with adding a veteran pass rusher.  Tamba Hali, Ahmad Brooks, Elvis Dumerville, Conor Barwin, Cliff Avril, Robert Ayers, maybe Lamarr Houston or Charles Johnson, are all free agents that can probably help the position.  None of our current back-ups have shown that they are even ready to have significant playing time, let alone the eventual start when one, or both, of Matthews and Perry inevitably get injured.  I like letting players have a chance to develop, as is evident by the first two positions discussed in this post.  But this is a position that plays 4 deep without any injuries.  Are we ready for Biegel and Gilbert starting week 5 at Detroit because Matthews stepped on a lego and Perry has a splinter?

5 hours ago, Joe said:

Why not bring Fleener into camp at least? At worst, we kick the tires and send him on his merry way...

I wouldn’t take reps from the young guys away. You know what you’ll get with Fleener so let the young guys fail first. Fleener seems like a last resort to me. 

4 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:
10 hours ago, Joe said:

Why not bring Fleener into camp at least? At worst, we kick the tires and send him on his merry way...

I wouldn’t take reps from the young guys away. You know what you’ll get with Fleener so let the young guys fail first. Fleener seems like a last resort to me. 

Hi Ted

17 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The writer is a former OL and OL coach and he's paid to offer his insights on the Packers. Does a pretty decent job of it too, his post-game analysis usually picks up on several things that fans miss watching it live. I think you misunderstood what he wrote

He made a comparison to the two players at this stage in their development . Justin McCray wasn't a rookie, he came out in 2014 and was with the Titans, then did a stint in Arena league before coming to GB last year. So the comparison isn't about rookie Lane Taylor or rookie Justin McCray - its about them at this stage in their respective development arcs -  a couple years out of college. 

Interesting...I thought McCRay was an UDFA last year.  Had no clue he was older.  Yah, he's 25 already.  Makes me happier as he should take the leap and be able to lock down that RG position.  

If looking at him like a third year player compared to Taylor...then I can get behind his statement.

8 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I still would feel more comfortable with adding a veteran pass rusher.  Tamba Hali, Ahmad Brooks, Elvis Dumerville, Conor Barwin, Cliff Avril, Robert Ayers, maybe Lamarr Houston or Charles Johnson, are all free agents that can probably help the position.  None of our current back-ups have shown that they are even ready to have significant playing time, let alone the eventual start when one, or both, of Matthews and Perry inevitably get injured.  I like letting players have a chance to develop, as is evident by the first two positions discussed in this post.  But this is a position that plays 4 deep without any injuries.  Are we ready for Biegel and Gilbert starting week 5 at Detroit because Matthews stepped on a lego and Perry has a splinter?

Any gas left in those tanks?  Gotta think if Hali had any, Reid would have used him last year.  I thought Brooks was meh last year, and meh is better than a lot of what we have.   Dumerville had 6.5 sacks in 13 games last year, I'd take that.  I think Barwin is done, all you get there is locker room presence.  Avril is now a radio guy in Seattle.  Never thought much of Houston and Johnson was done a couple years ago.  

31 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Any gas left in those tanks? 

Here's my 2 cents on that crew

Hali- knees are shot, no use to GB

Ahmad Brooks- back injury, GB knows how good/bad it is, might be able to help GB

Elvis- seems like a possibility. Definitely on the short side for a team that covets length, but ya can't be too picky at this juncture

Barwin- waiting on LA and LA is busy trying to get Donald deal done. Rams need help at OLB, but may not be able to pay him. Could help GB

Avril career is over

Ayers is interesting, 4 game PED suspension to start season, but I think he fits the RUSH position for Pettine and might be lower cost

In the interview with Pettine, he said he's run his defense both ways: with mirror images at OLB and with one that's more of a 4-3 end and 1 that's more 3-4 OLB

He will adapt to what's available, but he's also tuned in to the concept of Perry being the kind of guy who needs to go forward, not dropping into coverage.

OLB 3 candidates currently Biegel, Gilbert and one other guy with a well-beaten horse. GB doesn't have much cash so we'll see what's even possible

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Any gas left in those tanks?  Gotta think if Hali had any, Reid would have used him last year.  I thought Brooks was meh last year, and meh is better than a lot of what we have.   Dumerville had 6.5 sacks in 13 games last year, I'd take that.  I think Barwin is done, all you get there is locker room presence.  Avril is now a radio guy in Seattle.  Never thought much of Houston and Johnson was done a couple years ago.  

I do not know.  Most likely they are running pretty low.

I did not know that Avril was now doing radio.  xD

At least we aren't looking for a starter at this juncture.  Maybe Gilbert and Biegel made strides this offseason.  

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's my 2 cents on that crew

Hali- knees are shot, no use to GB

Ahmad Brooks- back injury, GB knows how good/bad it is, might be able to help GB

Elvis- seems like a possibility. Definitely on the short side for a team that covets length, but ya can't be too picky at this juncture

Barwin- waiting on LA and LA is busy trying to get Donald deal done. Rams need help at OLB, but may not be able to pay him. Could help GB

Avril career is over

Ayers is interesting, 4 game PED suspension to start season, but I think he fits the RUSH position for Pettine and might be lower cost

In the interview with Pettine, he said he's run his defense both ways: with mirror images at OLB and with one that's more of a 4-3 end and 1 that's more 3-4 OLB

He will adapt to what's available, but he's also tuned in to the concept of Perry being the kind of guy who needs to go forward, not dropping into coverage.

OLB 3 candidates currently Biegel, Gilbert and one other guy with a well-beaten horse. GB doesn't have much cash so we'll see what's even possible

Great write ups...agree with them.  Except for Barwin...I'm not sure if he can still play anymore...

Looked up his stats..played in 14 games.  26 tackles, 8 assists, 5 sacks.

For reference, looked up Nick Perry stats and Ahmad Brooks stats.

Perry...played in 12 games.  23 tackles, 15 assists.  7 sacks.

Ahmad Brooks...played in 12 games, 13 tackles, 6 assists.  1.5 sacks.

Certainly appears that I was wrong and that Barwin can still play...and he's a known leader/great locker room guy.  Thinking I'd put him at the top of the list.  Certainly he'd help out.

Good people - this thread is for discussing free agents currently on our roster.  There's another free agency thread that's for discussing players from other teams that could make for interesting prospects for GB.  Not trying to sound like a mod or board police - it's just easier to keep track of discussions this way and it eliminates redundancy.  Gracias!

Archived