2018 GB Packer free agents

squire12

Just now, Cadmus said:

T. Benjamin (who has a reasonable long-term contract). 

It's reasonable, but it's not a good contract for a guy who plays 53% of the snaps at $7M.  It's not totally fair to do this, but that's like paying $11M a year salary if you project him to a full starter's snaps (like Keenan Allen's).

They can cut him and save 4.5M next year.

7 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

They can choose to trade him for less than the tender. 

LAC has like $40M in cap space for 2018.  There list of FA is not that significant from my quick look at it.  

A 2nd round tender is less than $3M.  They can easily afford to keep Williams and there are enough teams that would be in the market for a tall fast outside WR that would likely be willing to pay more than GB.

LIS, I would really like Tyrell Williams in GB, but there are a few items that need to happen for that to become reality

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

LAC has like $40M in cap space for 2018.  There list of FA is not that significant from my quick look at it.  

A 2nd round tender is less than $3M.  They can easily afford to keep Williams and there are enough teams that would be in the market for a tall fast outside WR that would likely be willing to pay more than GB.

LIS, I would really like Tyrell Williams in GB, but there are a few items that need to happen for that to become reality

I think he means that they can trade him for less pick compensation than the tender even if they tender him at the 2nd round level.

so tender him, he signs tender, and then trade for 4th round pick.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I think he means that they can trade him for less pick compensation than the tender even if they tender him at the 2nd round level.

so tender him, he signs tender, and then trade for 4th round pick.

I know they can, but why would they trade him for less when he is likely more valuable to another team or themselves at a higher amount.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I know they can, but why would they trade him for less when he is likely more valuable to another team or themselves at a higher amount.

How much do you think he's worth?  He's not really a complete player, and he already plays with a great QB so I don't think you can project him to be a lot better here or anywhere else.

27 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

How much do you think he's worth?  He's not really a complete player, and he already plays with a great QB so I don't think you can project him to be a lot better here or anywhere else.

I think he is a $5-7M per year player.   

6'3", 200+  40 time = 4.43   Really solid agility numbers as well.  His production in 2016 was pretty dang good.  

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       36 27 193 114 1877 16.5 12 80 3.2 52.1                 1877 12 1 10
2015 23 SDG   16 4 0 5 2 90 45.0 1 80 0.5 22.5 40.0%               90 1 0 1
2016 24 SDG WR 16 16 12 119 69 1059 15.3 7 51 4.3 66.2 58.0%               1059 7 0 9
2017 25 LAC WR 16 16 15 69 43 728 16.9 4 75 2.7 45.5 62.3%               728 4 1  

Just now, squire12 said:

I think he is a $5-7M per year player.   

6'3", 200+  40 time = 4.43   Really solid agility numbers as well.  His production in 2016 was pretty dang good.  

Games Receiving Rushing        
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Rush Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Career       36 27 193 114 1877 16.5 12 80 3.2 52.1                 1877 12 1 10
2015 23 SDG   16 4 0 5 2 90 45.0 1 80 0.5 22.5 40.0%               90 1 0 1
2016 24 SDG WR 16 16 12 119 69 1059 15.3 7 51 4.3 66.2 58.0%               1059 7 0 9
2017 25 LAC WR 16 16 15 69 43 728 16.9 4 75 2.7 45.5 62.3%               728 4 1  

the #'s are good.  I agree that he's a nice player, and one who I'd want on any NFL team.

I was thinking draft pick compensation.  You think he's worth more than the 4th that @Cadmus proposed.  Or is he worth the 2nd round tender he's likely to receive?  Probably not IMO since you still gotta  pay him the monies.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

the #'s are good.  I agree that he's a nice player, and one who I'd want on any NFL team.

I was thinking draft pick compensation.  You think he's worth more than the 4th that @Cadmus proposed.  Or is he worth the 2nd round tender he's likely to receive?  Probably not IMO since you still gotta  pay him the monies.

For LAC, I think they use the 2nd round tender.  Last year, I think that was just a bit under $3M for the 1 year.  I think LAC would be foolish to deal him for a 4th, from GB perspective, I would love it.   Getting that type of player for a 4th round pick would be awesome.  Young outside WR that has a few years of production.  There is just so much $$ out there and there are teams that are in need of playmakers on the outside.  CHI, BUF, BAL, CAR, DAL, KC, SF, CLE (has so many picks and cap space)

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

For LAC, I think they use the 2nd round tender.  Last year, I think that was just a bit under $3M for the 1 year.  I think LAC would be foolish to deal him for a 4th, from GB perspective, I would love it.   Getting that type of player for a 4th round pick would be awesome.  Young outside WR that has a few years of production.  There is just so much $$ out there and there are teams that are in need of playmakers on the outside.  CHI, BUF, BAL, CAR, DAL, KC, SF, CLE (has so many picks and cap space)

I'm still thinking of it as...

4th round pick plus you have to pay him like 5-7 mil per year, as you said. 

Guys on the last year of their deal don't have very much trade value, even if they are league superstars.  See Garrappolo, Jimmy; Jones, Chandler; and many others.

• 3 weeks later...

In depth article on all the work the draft scouts do as well as the pro personnel guys. GB and many other teams are undergoing lots of change on the coaching side and that means some players will fit better/worse than last year. GB will be scouring other rosters and they'll be scouring ours- looking for any players who might be cut loose. Especially for teams changing schemes. Impacts not only the free agents, but any guys that don't fit the new regime/scheme

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24/16195480/life-of-pro-scouts

"Sometimes, well-established pro personnel departments look to take advantage of the turmoil a regime change creates for another franchise. “I know when we were at the Eagles, we always put extra attention on new staff,” McCartney said. “New coaching staffs — sometimes they’re making their full evaluation on their 53-man roster without seeing their team play a true game. So, new staffs can make mistakes with existing players that get off to a slow start with the new scheme or whatever. So, we put a little bit of extra attention on teams with new staffs.”

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

In depth article on all the work the draft scouts do as well as the pro personnel guys. GB and many other teams are undergoing lots of change on the coaching side and that means some players will fit better/worse than last year. GB will be scouring other rosters and they'll be scouring ours- looking for any players who might be cut loose. Especially for teams changing schemes. Impacts not only the free agents, but any guys that don't fit the new regime/scheme

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/24/16195480/life-of-pro-scouts

"Sometimes, well-established pro personnel departments look to take advantage of the turmoil a regime change creates for another franchise. “I know when we were at the Eagles, we always put extra attention on new staff,” McCartney said. “New coaching staffs — sometimes they’re making their full evaluation on their 53-man roster without seeing their team play a true game. So, new staffs can make mistakes with existing players that get off to a slow start with the new scheme or whatever. So, we put a little bit of extra attention on teams with new staffs.”

Think San Francisco.

3 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

What do you guys think of bringing back Lacy on a 1 year - 2mil deal? Think of a RB room with Jones - Williams - Lacy. Lacy coming in and punching it 10 times a game as a power back would be nice. Just a thought.

On paper, I wouldn’t mind it. In practice, I’m saying no. The difference, I don’t think Lacy cares much about being an NFL RB outside of the pay check and that’s not something I want around my locker room if I’m Gute. 

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

On paper, I wouldn’t mind it. In practice, I’m saying no. The difference, I don’t think Lacy cares much about being an NFL RB outside of the pay check and that’s not something I want around my locker room if I’m Gute. 

Lacy hasnt exactly lite it up for a few years now. Vet minimum? Maybe. Otherwise, I say lets give Mays a chance to disown his rookie season.

Archived