Offseason Discussion

deuces22wild

How much would you guys pay for Butler? If they win Sunday, he'll have 3 Superbowl rings under his belt. It has been stated that Grimes would love to come back, but I don't know if it is true. Just like the other thread don't think we want just VHIII and Smith and a Rookie as our CB's.

58 minutes ago, xlfrosti said:

How much would you guys pay for Butler? If they win Sunday, he'll have 3 Superbowl rings under his belt. It has been stated that Grimes would love to come back, but I don't know if it is true. Just like the other thread don't think we want just VHIII and Smith and a Rookie as our CB's.

Don't ever pay for past performances, only moving forward...

Here is a recent article I read about his 2017 play:

A restricted free agent in 2017, Butler earned $3.9 million after a reported offseason trade to New Orleans never materialized. Now 27, Butler may have priced himself out of the Patriots' plans. He ranked fifth among all cornerbacks in 2016, according to PFF, but stumbled to 48th this season. In fact, he was the lowest-rated Patriots' defensive back with at least 700 snaps.

With that being said, I think he's a bounce-back candidate, but I think there are better FA options out there...

I would prefer Talib over all other CBs in the market including Grimes.  I respect Grimes, but the last CB I can remember being effective over 34 was Mike Haynes from the Raiders. Grimes turns 35 in July.   Usually CBs with longevity transition to safety the last couple of years.  Amazing how Talib can go to the Pats and Broncos and not be a problem.  I need to see some more alpha personalities on this roster that actually won past the regular season.

6 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I would prefer Talib over all other CBs in the market including Grimes.  I respect Grimes, but the last CB I can remember being effective over 34 was Mike Haynes from the Raiders. Grimes turns 35 in July.   Usually CBs with longevity transition to safety the last couple of years.  Amazing how Talib can go to the Pats and Broncos and not be a problem.  I need to see some more alpha personalities on this roster that actually won past the regular season.

Newman's been balling the last few years and he's almost 40.

50 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Newman's been balling the last few years and he's almost 40.

So  I stand corrected 2 CBs over the last 25 years.  ?  However, I believe Newman has been playing slot CB for a number of years.  Not a long track record of CBs playing outside well past 34.  I'll include Ronde, but his last season was at safety.  I would prefer only paying 1 CB very good money in free agency.  I want devote a bunch of cap dollars to both lines.  It makes no sense to me to have two over 30 FA CBs make a combined 20 million or more against the cap.  Hence if  I can only take one, I 'll take Talib.  

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm telling you guys right now, Trumaine Johnson should be on our radar...

He's legit...

The Rams have ~$40M in cap space. If Donald doesn't demand a new contract (and get it), they might be able to tag him again. Assuming they don't work out a long term deal.

But I'd agree. He's one of my top CB targets, assuming the Bears keep Fuller. Even if we convince Bounce to come back for a year, I'd kinda like to bring in a FA CB. We resign McClain and we have a set that looks something like:

Outside: Bounce, FA, R Smith

Slot: VHIII, McClain

I think we could do a lot worse. We'd also be able to focus completely on the trenches on both sides. And RB.

Gilmore got like $12M from the Pats. Butler is gonna get a similar contract. Talib's current contract pays him $11M, but a FA contract would be close to $12M. That's just the market for top tier FA CBs. Either pay it or don't. And I'd rather pay it.

Current CB contracts honestly make Revis' contract look like a steal. $16M for a CB who literally eliminated a receiver from the game would've been absolutely worth it. Too bad we paid him $16M to play zone.

I think they need to sign 3 new dlinemen and Im not even counting resigning McDonald who I want back.  I agree with the need for CB, but with this team playing so much zone I think the need  for a 2nd safety is worse at the moment.  Conte and Tandy are back ups.  It would be nice to solidfy the middle of the field as opposed to lots of open grass last season.

52 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I think they need to sign 3 new dlinemen and Im not even counting resigning McDonald who I want back.  I agree with the need for CB, but with this team playing so much zone I think the need  for a 2nd safety is worse at the moment.  Conte and Tandy are back ups.  It would be nice to solidfy the middle of the field as opposed to lots of open grass last season.

That's where Minkah Fitzpatrick comes in...

Archived