Offseason Discussion

deuces22wild

Saints signed WR Cameron Meredith today, as he was an RFA and Bears didn't match their offer.

That's a good signing by them. He looked really good until he got hurt. He'll be one of the better secondary weapons in the NFL when he's fully healed.

I hate this pick-up. He's an upgrade big time on Snead.

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Saints signed WR Cameron Meredith today, as he was an RFA and Bears didn't match their offer.

That's a good signing by them. He looked really good until he got hurt. He'll be one of the better secondary weapons in the NFL when he's fully healed.

I hate this pick-up. He's an upgrade big time on Snead.

Chicago has been there all the way though his surgery and rehab. Gotta think they know something we don't. $5M per is chump change compared to what other WRs are making.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Chicago has been there all the way though his surgery and rehab. Gotta think they know something we don't. $5M per is chump change compared to what other WRs are making.

Honestly, I think it's some of both. About the cap moving forward. They gave big money to Allen Robinson (ironically coming off an ACL injury too) and had to match Kyle Fuller's RFA offer + they probably don't think he'll be near the level he was before when healthy.

45 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I agree, ACL injuries are all not the same.  I thought Jaqueis Smith would bounce back.  ?

Looks like the 49ers might be in the LB market again in the draft. What a shame:

49ers LB Reuben Foster was charged with felony domestic violence by the Santa Clara DA on Thursday.

The charge stems from an incident in February in which Foster was accused of dragging his live-in girlfriend and punching her "8 to 10 times" during a dispute. In addition to the domestic violence charge, Foster is accused of forcefully attempting to prevent the reporting of a crime, possession of an assault weapon, and misdemeanor possession of a large capacity weapon magazine. According to the DA, he is facing more than 11 years in prison if convicted.

7 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

OG - Sweezy

RB - Barber 

CB - Smith 

S - Conte 

Rank 1-4 who should be starting.

Oof. Should, as in who deserves it? Or should as in who we can live with?

Deserves

1. Conte
  2. Barber
  3. Smith
  4. Sweezy

We can live with

1. Sweezy
  2. Conte
  3. Barber
  4. Smith

I'd feel most comfortable overall with Sweezy starting. He's meh. But we can hide that with good play from everyone else on the line. Conte has started most of the last two years. I'd prefer an upgrade, or even a rookie. But if he starts again this year, whatevs.

I really don't want Barber or Smith starting. I don't know that Barber's a guy who can carry the ball 20 times a game. And he's one of those guys who's kinda decent at most things but not really great at anything. I'd be worried if we had to rely on him for 16 games.

I think Ryan Smith is a reserve outside CB at this point. He was really up and down last year. It's not his fault he essentially lost his rookie year because we tried to convert him to safety. But I'd be concerned if he had to start a bunch of games again. We play our starting CBs like 90+% of the time. And I'm fine with him filling in the difference. But no more, please.

Good question. I hope we can address these four spots with our first four picks.

I still don’t get the hate for Conte. He’s not great but he’s not horrible. We’re talking like he’s Sabby P. 

Ryan smith i still have hope for. Remember this secondary had zero pass rush help. Mike smith was running every coverage and front in the book to just try something. 

Honestly we can get by with : 

1. Conte 

2. Smith 

3. Barber

4. Sweezy. 

13 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

OG - Sweezy

RB - Barber 

CB - Smith 

S - Conte 

Tough question lol. But here it goes.

1. Barber

2. Smith

3. Conte

4. Sweezy

Barber in good shape is underrated. Smith in year 2 will make a leap IMO and could “start” at slot. Conte is an ok S #3 but isn’t the worst ever if he starts. Sweezy has a good hard nose mentality but with injuries and pass blocking problems is a completely liability. We need the lines on O and D to ball this year if we want to make the playoffs and can’t be weak there.

14 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

OG - Sweezy

RB - Barber 

CB - Smith 

S - Conte 

1. Sweezy

2. Barber

3. Conte

4. Smith

Ryan Smith has not showing anything that he is a capable starter. Him and Conte suck cannot be hidden. Sweezy and Barber lack of talent can be masked though.

When analyzing the secondary, I have a hard time being overly critical on Smith when there was no pass rush and the defensive scheme is mainly zone.  Plus, they played him at safety his rookie season.  He got roasted by Julio sure with that pass rush generating 0 sacks in the game.  I m not suggesting his is All Pro, but I reserve judgment until I see an average pass rush from this team.

Archived