The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

So a pretty solid night of boxing on Saturday. Broner vs Garcia should be interesting and entertaining in stretches. Intriguing fight. Broner struggles with pressure fighters which Garcia obviously isn't. But he is more skilled than Broner and could crack. The question is how he will look at 140 with Broner having the big size advantage? 

Also excited to seeing the Miller-Washington fight and Jermall Charlo returning to action.

Then the following week we have arguably the best fighter in the planet in Lomachenko fighting on ESPN. Two weeks following that another guy who has a claim to being the best in Crawford will be fighting Indongo in the rare undisputed championship match up with all four belts on the line.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

Conor should have worn a CJ Watson jersey during one of the press conferences.

So there are rumors that Joshua/Klitschko will take place in Vegas on PPV? Really? PPV? I mean obviously it will be on PPV in the UK, but in the states as well? Joshua may be the biggest worldwide star in boxing right now but the PPV will likely tank with him actually never fighting in the states before. Put on HBO/SHO, and then try to fight Wilder on PPV next year.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Conor should have worn a CJ Watson jersey during one of the press conferences.

So there are rumors that Joshua/Klitschko will take place in Vegas on PPV? Really? PPV? I mean obviously it will be on PPV in the UK, but in the states as well? Joshua may be the biggest worldwide star in boxing right now but the PPV will likely tank with him actually never fighting in the states before. Put on HBO/SHO, and then try to fight Wilder on PPV next year.

How big is Joshua in the US? I would have thought after their first fight his profile would have grown exponentially. He's huge over here. 

I mean he's still going to have to fight in the states first on prime time to become a star. The ratings were good for the Klitschko fight but just not enough to have a PPV. Then again, Hearn probably is banking on still doing 1+ million in the UK and just hoping it gets to 200k in the states.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Joshua fighting Klitchsko again, there's a lot on the line for AJ and Klitchsko will be hungry to go out on a high after being within a whisker of finishing the job last time. 

I hope Joshua has been working on his stamina rather than just doing bicep curls these past few months. 

Klitschko had a rematch clause so not much Joshua could do there. But I think in the rematch he makes easier work of the old legend. Joshua learned a lot in that fight and fought through crazy amount of adversity especially during the mid rounds before taking over. He showed the mental toughness that was lacking from a guy he is often compared to in Frank Bruno. 

Joshua beats Klitschko then has to fight his mandatory in Pulev around February. After that hopefully the fight with Wilder gets made. 

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Klitschko had a rematch clause so not much Joshua could do there. But I think in the rematch he makes easier work of the old legend. Joshua learned a lot in that fight and fought through crazy amount of adversity especially during the mid rounds before taking over. He showed the mental toughness that was lacking from a guy he is often compared to in Frank Bruno. 

Joshua beats Klitschko then has to fight his mandatory in Pulev around February. After that hopefully the fight with Wilder gets made. 

If Wilder is still holding his belt.

I hope Joshua unifies the division.

Wilder wants to fight Luis Ortiz which would be a great fight but Don King is being stubborn as hell and isn't taking step aside money so we will be stuck with a unnecessary rematch with Stiverne. He should win that fight fairly easy and then probably fights someone else before the Joshua showdown. I think there is a good chance he still has the belt should he face Joshua around April/May of 18.

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilder wants to fight Luis Ortiz which would be a great fight but Don King is being stubborn as hell and isn't taking step aside money so we will be stuck with a unnecessary rematch with Stiverne. He should win that fight fairly easy and then probably fights someone else before the Joshua showdown. I think there is a good chance he still has the belt should he face Joshua around April/May of 18.

WIll anyone fight Ortiz before he retires?

He's signed with Haymon so he will be in the Wilder sweepstakes. I mean that is Wilder's next fight if they could some how convince old raggedy Don King to step aside. But as always, Don will make it as hard as possible and continue to drag this on. Damn shame.

But if Wilder does get the Ortiz fight next, good chance he's not holding on to the belt for long.