The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

On 14/07/2019 at 8:20 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

@lomaxgrUK Dubois looking more and more like the real deal. What a great performance vs Gorman. UK just continues to put out top HWs. He may be challenging for a title soon enough. 

Stevenson fought a bum but he's ready for a title shot himself. He wants Warrington and I think he handles him with ease. More likely he gets Frampton for the vacant WBO strap. 

Can't wait for Thurman vs Pacquiao. Not sure who to pick yet but it’s a really tight one. Crazy how at the age of 40 that Pacquiao is still alive against top WWs. Legend! 

Dubois is an excellent prospect. Love his demeanor in the ring too, although you just never know how good they are mentally until they get roughed up. That said, he's still raw and only 21. His footwork definitely needs improving; needs to develop counter footwork when his opponent comes in towards him. It will be Joe Joyce next for him which will be a great fight to watch.

Stevenson - Warrington in Leeds would be awesome. The former has far, far, far more skills and athleticism. But, he's never come close to fighting in an environment that Leeds fans bring when Josh is fighting. Can he handle the pressure as well as Errol did in Sheffield? Not everyone can.

The long layoff scares me with Thurman. I also get worried every time he talks he seems to mention he's not going to be in boxing for long. Is his heart still in it after his injuries?

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Dubois is an excellent prospect. Love his demeanor in the ring too, although you just never know how good they are mentally until they get roughed up. That said, he's still raw and only 21. His footwork definitely needs improving; needs to develop counter footwork when his opponent comes in towards him. It will be Joe Joyce next for him which will be a great fight to watch.

Stevenson - Warrington in Leeds would be awesome. The former has far, far, far more skills and athleticism. But, he's never come close to fighting in an environment that Leeds fans bring when Josh is fighting. Can he handle the pressure as well as Errol did in Sheffield? Not everyone can.

The long layoff scares me with Thurman. I also get worried every time he talks he seems to mention he's not going to be in boxing for long. Is his heart still in it after his injuries?

I saw some interview with Frank Warren yesterday and he said he doesn't think Joyce's team wants the Dubois fight as they are lining up to get a title shot...Which is crazy but whatever lol.

Dubois certainly has time on his side but he looked great on Saturday. I loved how poised he was and how he never let Gorman get in the fight. Gorman was waiting for counter opportunities but Dubois hardly gave him any chances as he controlled the distance from the opening bell. I'd say be end of next year he will be ready for a title shot. 

Warrington looked bad against Kid Galahad but that could have been a styles match up issue for him. I think Stevenson with his southpaw stance and skills will be too much for either him or Frampton. But you are right, Stevenson hasn't fought a legitimate test yet and Warrington will test him.

Thurman is an interesting character. Never know what he is thinking, but the lay offs certainly don't help. Will favor him slightly on Saturday but definitely can see him losing. Terrific match up!

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

What a f'n legend Manny Pacquiao is. Hell of a fight and a very good performance by the senator. He's likely to get the winner of Spence/Porter next and it will probably end bad for him. But who cares, he turned back the clock tonight in the first half of the fight and gave it to Thurman and did just enough in the 2nd half of the fight to hold on. 

Respect......

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What a f'n legend Manny Pacquiao is. Hell of a fight and a very good performance by the senator. He's likely to get the winner of Spence/Porter next and it will probably end bad for him. But who cares, he turned back the clock tonight in the first half of the fight and gave it to Thurman and did just enough in the 2nd half of the fight to hold on. 

Respect......

I want Mayweather to come back and put that old man in his place. 

If he fights Spence, he's gonna die in the ring. 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I want Mayweather to come back and put that old man in his place. 

If he fights Spence, he's gonna die in the ring. 

Floyd looked super washed against McGregor. His reflexes looked off and he lost some speed. Now, there are stories that Floyd hardly trained for McGregor and didn't take the fight serious at all, but he shouldn't have missed as bad as he did with some of his shots. Don't think Floyd could beat Pacquiao right now.

Yeah, Spence has to get by Porter first. But if he does, then he will give it to Pacquiao. He will be able to jab him from the inside and just beat him up on the inside. Spence is currently my favorite fighter so I would root for him, but I'd be a little sad if he really puts it on Pacquiao lol. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Respect......

He is simply a freak of nature. Kudos to Thurman for staying tough and making somewhat of a comeback, but Manny simply outfought and out-boxed him using his movement and footwork. Incredible for a 40 year old man to have that kind of speed still.

1 minute ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

He is simply a freak of nature. Kudos to Thurman for staying tough and making somewhat of a comeback, but Manny simply outfought and out-boxed him using his movement and footwork. Incredible for a 40 year old man to have that kind of speed still.

Rounds wise, I actually ended up having it 6-6, but gave Pacquiao the edge with the KD. Maybe one round too generous for Thurman, but clearly from the 6th round on the fight changed. Thurman started landing his right hand and got back in the fight. But the body shot Manny landed in the 10th round clinched the fight for him. At that point Thurman had won like three of the last four rounds, if not the last four rounds and had all momentum. 

Hell of a fight though indeed. Thurman showed his toughness staying in there and gutting it out. He's not the same fighter he was three years ago though. The long layoffs have killed some of his prime. Sad but true. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Floyd looked super washed against McGregor. His reflexes looked off and he lost some speed. Now, there are stories that Floyd hardly trained for McGregor and didn't take the fight serious at all, but he shouldn't have missed as bad as he did with some of his shots. Don't think Floyd could beat Pacquiao right now.

Yeah, Spence has to get by Porter first. But if he does, then he will give it to Pacquiao. He will be able to jab him from the inside and just beat him up on the inside. Spence is currently my favorite fighter so I would root for him, but I'd be a little sad if he really puts it on Pacquiao lol. 

You could tell Floyd didn't train for that fight. It was a sparring session for him. I wouldn't use that as any gauge to his current abilities. Never doubt TBE. 

Spence walks through Porter and then ends Pacman's career. That I have no doubt. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

You could tell Floyd didn't train for that fight. It was a sparring session for him. I wouldn't use that as any gauge to his current abilities. Never doubt TBE. 

Spence walks through Porter and then ends Pacman's career. That I have no doubt. 

Yeah, I mean if he truly didn't train at all then that would help explain why his timing was off. I mean late in the fight obviously he started beating the crap out of McGregor, but early on it was a bit disgusting lol. 

Sign me up for the rematch. Would still be a HUGE fight. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I mean if he truly didn't train at all then that would help explain why his timing was off. I mean late in the fight obviously he started beating the crap out of McGregor, but early on it was a bit disgusting lol. 

Sign me up for the rematch. Would still be a HUGE fight. 

Gotta keep the people hooked. Especially if he wanted another easy $300 Million in the rematch lol

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rounds wise, I actually ended up having it 6-6, but gave Pacquiao the edge with the KD. Maybe one round too generous for Thurman, but clearly from the 6th round on the fight changed. Thurman started landing his right hand and got back in the fight. But the body shot Manny landed in the 10th round clinched the fight for him. At that point Thurman had won like three of the last four rounds, if not the last four rounds and had all momentum. 

Hell of a fight though indeed. Thurman showed his toughness staying in there and gutting it out. He's not the same fighter he was three years ago though. The long layoffs have killed some of his prime. Sad but true. 

I actually agree with that. I had it 7-to-5 for Manny, but 6-to-6 would have been just as fair. Either way, Pacquiao wins due to the knockdown.
     I also agree that Pacquiao would probably beat Floyd in the rematch. Not only will Pacquiao be highly motivated to win the rematch, Floyd has quite of a bit of ring rust that he would have to work off. He may have masked it against McGregor (who landed some surprisingly good shots in that fight) and Nasukawa, but Pacquiao is a whole different animal than those guys and will be fresher because of his activity. TBH, Floyd hasn't really looked all that great since fighting Manny.
     Manny can beat Porter, but he isn't beating Crawford or Spence Jr at this point. I hope they don't put him in with either of those guys. That said: If Pacquiao fights and actually beats Spence Jr, he will go down as one of the best to ever do it from any era (perhaps even more so than Floyd).

I’ve never liked Pacquiao, but damn, what a freak of nature the man is. Still so quick at 40. I’ve definitely gotta give the legend his due. Very impressive.

That said, he ought to stay away from Spence if he knows what’s right for him. 

Edited by malak1

10 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I actually agree with that. I had it 7-to-5 for Manny, but 6-to-6 would have been just as fair. Either way, Pacquiao wins due to the knockdown.
     I also agree that Pacquiao would probably beat Floyd in the rematch. Not only will Pacquiao be highly motivated to win the rematch, Floyd has quite of a bit of ring rust that he would have to work off. He may have masked it against McGregor (who landed some surprisingly good shots in that fight) and Nasukawa, but Pacquiao is a whole different animal than those guys and will be fresher because of his activity. TBH, Floyd hasn't really looked all that great since fighting Manny.
     Manny can beat Porter, but he isn't beating Crawford or Spence Jr at this point. I hope they don't put him in with either of those guys. That said: If Pacquiao fights and actually beats Spence Jr, he will go down as one of the best to ever do it from any era (perhaps even more so than Floyd).

Thurman is usually a fast starter who slows down in the 2nd half of the fight. Did the opposite yesterday. I do have to give him props for weathering the early storm and coming back to make it competitive. It's funny, while he is 10 years younger than Pacquiao, you could make a case he was more out of his prime than Pacquiao entering the fight. Thurman simply isn't the same fighter he was before the injuries and in his lone comeback fight, he almost got stopped by a journeyman. 

Pacquiao is already one of the best to ever do it. Even though Mayweather beat him, there is a good case to be made that Pacquiao is the greater fighter. I wouldn't make that case, but it is there and completely legitimate.

If Pacquiao beats Spence, then he is in the top 3-5 ALL TIME. That would be completely insane and beyond legendary. But the more likely scenario is him taking an absolute beating and retiring after the fight.