The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got back from a 2-week long field exercise along with the entire 2nd Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division (side note: you don't know what cold is until you do a Mountain Peak outdoor exercise at Fort Drum in upstate New York in the winter.....).

Watched Fury/Wilder II. Gotta give props to Fury, the Gypsy King is back. After everything he's been through after beating Klitschko, it's incredible to see him back on top. IMHO, he's the clear-cut favorite to beat Joshua. As for Wilder, he needs a new trainer who can add some technical skill to his lethal power. His mental state after defeat will go a long way in determining how he recovers from this. The minute I saw blood pouring out of his ear, I knew it was only a matter of time. If Wilder uses this loss to give himself a lot more determination and grit to get better and come back, then bring on the rubber match (preferably AFTER Fury/Joshua, though). I still think he's realistically capable of knocking Fury the spark out, so it will come down to whether or not he can come back mentally stronger from defeat.

Random thought: Would anyone be interested in seeing Rigondeaux move down or Gonzalez move up to see a Roman Gonzalez/Guillermo Rigondeaux matchup? Both guys are showing that rumors of their demise were exaggerated, and their respective styles would make for an intriguing fight (IMHO).

On 3/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I'm a bit late to the party, but I just got back from a 2-week long field exercise along with the entire 2nd Brigade of the 10th Mountain Division (side note: you don't know what cold is until you do a Mountain Peak outdoor exercise at Fort Drum in upstate New York in the winter.....).

Watched Fury/Wilder II. Gotta give props to Fury, the Gypsy King is back. After everything he's been through after beating Klitschko, it's incredible to see him back on top. IMHO, he's the clear-cut favorite to beat Joshua. As for Wilder, he needs a new trainer who can add some technical skill to his lethal power. His mental state after defeat will go a long way in determining how he recovers from this. The minute I saw blood pouring out of his ear, I knew it was only a matter of time. If Wilder uses this loss to give himself a lot more determination and grit to get better and come back, then bring on the rubber match (preferably AFTER Fury/Joshua, though). I still think he's realistically capable of knocking Fury the spark out, so it will come down to whether or not he can come back mentally stronger from defeat.

Random thought: Would anyone be interested in seeing Rigondeaux move down or Gonzalez move up to see a Roman Gonzalez/Guillermo Rigondeaux matchup? Both guys are showing that rumors of their demise were exaggerated, and their respective styles would make for an intriguing fight (IMHO).

I rather see Inoue vs Rigondeaux. Chocolatito is already a small 115 pounder. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

If pacman wants to actually fight GGG that'd be nuts. Probably just a rumor though

No chance that fight happens but prayers for Pacquiao if it did lol.

So looks like we should be starting to get the big names out soon. Spence vs DSG is rumored for the fall, Davis vs LSC in September, Lomachenko vs Lopez in October, Joshua vs Pulev in November, Canelo vs potentially Callum Smith in September and Charlo vs Derevyanchenko sometime in the fall. 

Now, let's see how many of these fights actually happen due to Covid. Damn near two fights a card are falling apart for TR cards due to someone testing positive a few days before the fight. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No chance that fight happens but prayers for Pacquiao if it did lol.

So looks like we should be starting to get the big names out soon. Spence vs DSG is rumored for the fall, Davis vs LSC in September, Lomachenko vs Lopez in October, Joshua vs Pulev in November, Canelo vs potentially Callum Smith in September and Charlo vs Derevyanchenko sometime in the fall. 

Now, let's see how many of these fights actually happen due to Covid. Damn near two fights a card are falling apart for TR cards due to someone testing positive a few days before the fight. 

.....but what if (WHAT IF) Pacquiao actually beats Triple G and becomes the IBF/IBO middleweight champion? He will have held titles in 9 (!!!) different weight classes. Is that enough to surpass Ali as the GOAT?

Showtime's upcoming schedule is pretty sick. Time to get the big boys back in action now. Canelo vs Callum Smith is the word for September which is a good fight. Spence vs Danny Garcia may be announced next week and hopefully soon we get word on Lomachenko vs Lopez. 

• 5 weeks later...