The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

Ward will be back. He's waiting for the next big fight he could take. As good as the LHW division is, there really isn't anyone for him at the present time. Stevenson is locked up with Alvarez and who knows if he would ever take on Ward, Bivol/Gvozdyk/Beterbiev are good but unproven with no name value, and then Jack is going to be locked up for a bit. That's why Ward was trying to secure a fight with Bellew. 

If GGG ever comes up to 175, expect Ward to start contemplating "coming out of retirement."

Not likely but lets see. Even if he comes up to 168, Ward may come out of retirement to meet him at a catchweight. This is why I was ticked GGG didn't take on Ward before he moved up to LHW. Ward could have had wins over Kessler/Froch/Abraham/Kovalev/Dawson/GGG on his resume. That would have been an insane resume. And if GGG beat Ward, he would have gotten his career defining win. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not likely but lets see. Even if he comes up to 168, Ward may come out of retirement to meet him at a catchweight. This is why I was ticked GGG didn't take on Ward before he moved up to LHW. Ward could have had wins over Kessler/Froch/Abraham/Kovalev/Dawson/GGG on his resume. That would have been an insane resume. And if GGG beat Ward, he would have gotten his career defining win. 

I just don't see it. Ward is such a larger man, height, reach and natural weight, GGG would be a massive underdog.

GGG at that time when the fight was being talked about was not THAT big of a underdog. Now he would as he hasn't looked all that dominant against two quality yet inferior fighters to Ward. Still would be a solid win for him.

My P4P list after Ward's retirement:

1. Crawford

2. Lomachenko

3. GGG

4. Kovalev

5. Rigo

6. Canelo

7. Garcia

8. Inoue

9. Usyk

10. Spence/Thurman

9 hours ago, texans_uk said:

That's a bit disappointing. 

He's fought the best in his respective divisions I guess. 

Would have liked to see him fight Stevenson or Jack at LHW. 

Sounds like he's tired of the gruelling training required. 

Where does he rank? He was a great Super Middleweight. 

Ward would have made Jack look like an amateur, but Stevenson/Ward would have been a great send-off fight for Andre

• Like 1

Loma is going to have a BIG size advantage but I still think Rigo is the better puncher. He's going to have to be sharp and on his game, but Loma's activity and size probably ends up overwhelming him. 

Jack is turning into one of the most underrated fighters in the game. Ward beats him, but I bet Jack would have a decent showing. I think styles wise, the Stevenson fight may be easier. Ward would take the left hand away as he did the right hand with Kovalev, but unlike Kovalev, Stevenson doesn't have a killer jab.

Really good fights indeed. Zurdo and Valdez showed their flaws, but entertaining performances. 

Opposite of Fury vs Parker which was a terrible fight. Then to top it off, you had two terrible scorecards in 118-110. Gives anyone some flashbacks?? I don't have a problem with Parker winning, but at best 7-5 or if you are really being nice, 8-4. Fury made Parker look amateurish in spots, but didn't throw nearly enough. 

In other news, Danny Jacobs just signed a deal with Mathchroom and HBO. That's huge. Hearn signs his first USA fighter and clearly will be in the HBO business. Top Rank leaving to ESPN made this possible. Jacobs had to go to HBO to get the rematch with GGG or a fight with Canelo.