The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

You have to wonder what McGregor's strategy will really be. I honestly think he's going to take a page out of Maidana's book and pressure Floyd relentlessly. Maidana's the one that gave him the most trouble in recent memory and you'd have to think that McGregor possesses more power than him. You know what I mean? I think you can counter Mayweather's boxing prowess with brute force if your in Conor's shoes. He's one of the fighters that size that can actually pull it off with power. I mean, what does he have to lose? You can't go 12 with Floyd and expect to win if you're McGregor. Will be interesting to watch but I know this, I'm much more geeked about the fight after seeing that Paulie footage come out. Looks waaaaaaaaaaaay better in the ring than expected (that was definitely the aim his camp took btw). 

2 weeks.

Yeah, I mean I don't take much from that clip anyways. Even if a punch landed, it was clear Paulie was off balance due to Conor pulling his head down and he never even threw a big punch. I am inclined to believe Paulie there that it was more so a push. I mean Joe Cortez ruled it a no KD anyways. 

As for Conor implementing the Maidana game plan? I don't think so. It takes years to develop that type of style. I see McGregor actually trying to set traps and counter Floyd and then walk him down if he hurts him. As for Floyd, I think he will try to work the body early and often. The body jab will be the key and then he will try to throw the left hook over the jab Ala Ward vs Dawson. 

In that "knockdown" clip, I didn't like how McGregor was throwing those slapping punches. With his size and power, he should have tried to sit down on his punches more. 

My prediction hasn't changed at all. I always thought McGregor had solid boxing skills anyways. But obviously Floyd is different level. The question to me is if this goes 12 round or does Floyd stop him in the mid to late rounds? 

8 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Talking about this clip?

Cuz yeah, that straight left knocked the spit out of Paulie.

Yep that clip right there. First off Paulie is doing the shoulder roll against a southpaw who throws nothing but straight lefts. What the hell is he doing trying to take the right hand away? LOL, that was a rookie mistake by Paulie and probably was fatigued as hell by then. Hope Dana posts another similar clip today. 

Indongo's awkwardness and him being unknown makes this interesting. He will have the size over Crawford and has solid pop. But I as well think Crawford is on another level. I think it will be competitive early on before Crawford takes over like always.

So looks like Lara vs Andrade will be mandated by the WBA. Love that fight. Won't be all that pleasing in terms of action, but very well could be the top two 154 pounders in the world. Then end of September and early October we will be getting Trout vs Hurd, Lubin vs Charlo and JRock vs Harrison. This is a stacked division and the best are fighting the best. Having a mini tourney here would be great.