The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

10 hours ago, Herbie_Hancock said:

Apparently manny vs money 2.0 will take place in december 

Thoughts? 

I think Money who looked like utter crap vs McGregor may catch his first loss. Such a stupid move by him. He loses and a large part of his legacy gets ruined. Losses in boxing aren't everything, but if Manny beats him, will be hard to argue Mayweather being placed above him in the all time rankings. Manny already is a record 8x division champion and has a monster resume'. Stay retired Money!

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think Money who looked like utter crap vs McGregor may catch his first loss. Such a stupid move by him. He loses and a large part of his legacy gets ruined. Losses in boxing aren't everything, but if Manny beats him, will be hard to argue Mayweather being placed above him in the all time rankings. Manny already is a record 8x division champion and has a monster resume'. Stay retired Money!

Ha, I don't think TBE trained particularly hard for nor took McGregor seriously. Using that to judge how he'd fight against Manny is unwise.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Ha, I don't think TBE trained particularly hard for nor took McGregor seriously. Using that to judge how he'd fight against Manny is unwise.

I mean I'm sure he didn't take McGregor that serious and ended up carrying him a bit, but his timing was still off. I didn't think he looked good vs Berto either and that was three years ago. 

Pacman while not in his prime can still fight. Got robbed vs Horn and looked good against Matthysse. I'm sure the pay day will be good, but don't know if it is worth the risk at this point.

And I hate the fight happening in December as it further delays the Wilder/Fury fight.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean I'm sure he didn't take McGregor that serious and ended up carrying him a bit, but his timing was still off. I didn't think he looked good vs Berto either and that was three years ago. 

Pacman while not in his prime can still fight. Got robbed vs Horn and looked good against Matthysse. I'm sure the pay day will be good, but don't know if it is worth the risk at this point.

And I hate the fight happening in December as it further delays the Wilder/Fury fight.

Eh, I have no reason to doubt Floyd.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Eh, I have no reason to doubt Floyd.

We shall see. And if it is even a bit close, he may end up getting robbed to set up the trilogy lol.

End of the day though, boxing is at a good point right now. Some really good match ups taking place. Not sure we need this rematch. The WW division in particular has some killers in it. Let the youngsters battle it out. Floyd made plenty of money and won't go broke for a long long long long time, if he ever does go broke.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We shall see. And if it is even a bit close, he may end up getting robbed to set up the trilogy lol.

Well, he got 50-0 so I wouldn't doubt him going the major money route lol. After all, he's a business man. 

Edited by beekay414

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good points, and Pacquiao is a whole different animal to come back against after a long layoff than a MMA fighter making his professional boxing debut.
     He absolutely got robbed against Horn (though Horn looked better than originally advertised in that fight) -- and even though Matthysse was probably done, the way in which Pacquiao beat him looked as if Manny had slightly recaptured some of the old magic. Floyd will definitely go into the fight as the favorite, but I expect this to be a more competitive fight than the first one. Plus, Floyd might be under more pressure to give the fans a bit more action (i.e., take more risks) after what happened in the first go-around. I believe Floyd when he said he was carrying McGregor to give the fans their money's worth -- but if he wasn't and he actually was being tagged by a guy making his professional boxing debut, that doesn't bode well for Mayweather.
     Isn't Fury/Wilder being planned for November?

Edited by IdigtheRaiders!

11 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Good points, and Pacquiao is a whole different animal to come back against after a long layoff than a MMA fighter making his professional boxing debut.
     He absolutely got robbed against Horn (though Horn looked better than originally advertised in that fight) -- and even though Matthysse was probably done, the way in which Pacquiao beat him looked as if Manny had slightly recaptured some of the old magic. Floyd will definitely go into the fight as the favorite, but I expect this to be a more competitive fight than the first one. Plus, Floyd might be under more pressure to give the fans a bit more action (i.e., take more risks) after what happened in the first go-around. I believe Floyd when he said he was carrying McGregor to give the fans their money's worth -- but if he wasn't and he actually was being tagged by a guy making his professional boxing debut, that doesn't bode well for Mayweather.
     Isn't Fury/Wilder being planned for November?

Got pushed back to December. But if Mayweather/Pacquiao rematch takes place in December? Not sure if how they can put the fight in December then, may have to push it back to January.