The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

On 5/29/2021 at 11:12 PM, beekay414 said:

Not the greatest performance from Haney. Not sure he's ready for Garcia, Davis, Loma or Lopez yet.

He probably schools Garcia. Davis is an interesting fight. He loses to Loma and Lopez imo 

On 5/21/2021 at 8:44 PM, jrry32 said:

He wasn't even the greatest fighter of his generation. And he has a puncher's chance of beating Spence.

As far as being technically-skilled or having the best record, that’s true. No one else (in any era) has accomplished what he has in the sport, however.

On 6/7/2021 at 2:18 AM, NYRaider said:

After seeing that I'm convinced I could KO Floyd.

You're delusional lol. Floyd wasn't trying to knock the dude out. If he embarrasses him, he's not getting another massive pay day. 

• Like 2

Shakur is Uber talented. Just a superior boxer through and through. I’m afraid he might lack elite power and the desire to take risks which could land him in BooBoo Andrade territory. He was masterful, but I’m sure many causal fans were turned off by him tonight. On to Inoue.

On 6/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, jrry32 said:

You're delusional lol. Floyd wasn't trying to knock the dude out. If he embarrasses him, he's not getting another massive pay day. 

Floyd said he's not even interested in taking another bout after that one. IIRC Showtime Boxing just signed Logan and Jake so I'm sure the promotion told him to just let him survive so that they could sell more PPV's going forward with those two.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, jrry32 said:

I agree with you in premise that no random FFer is knocking out Floyd (lolol), but the idea Floyd wasn't trying to KO Paul is crazy too. Floyd is certainly never going to be at a shortage of sellable fights, both easy and challenging. He's arguably more marketable too if he is KOing people instead of fighting his usual, defensive style.

The reason he doesn't press these bigger amateurs is because he's intelligent and knows the easiest path to victory is to walk them down, let them wear themselves out, lose any chance of KO power early, and push the pace after a few rounds. So his window for a KO is shorter (and again, was fighting a dude 35lbs heavier who's only goal was to hug and survive 8 rounds).

Not to mention, if this logic was true then Floyd wouldn't have KO'd Tenshin in the first and destroyed his Japanese marketability. 

12 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I agree with you in premise that no random FFer is knocking out Floyd (lolol), but the idea Floyd wasn't trying to KO Paul is crazy too. Floyd is certainly never going to be at a shortage of sellable fights, both easy and challenging. He's arguably more marketable too if he is KOing people instead of fighting his usual, defensive style.

The reason he doesn't press these bigger amateurs is because he's intelligent and knows the easiest path to victory is to walk them down, let them wear themselves out, lose any chance of KO power early, and push the pace after a few rounds. So his window for a KO is shorter (and again, was fighting a dude 35lbs heavier who's only goal was to hug and survive 8 rounds).

Not to mention, if this logic was true then Floyd wouldn't have KO'd Tenshin in the first and destroyed his Japanese marketability. 

If he was trying to KO Paul, he would have KO'd Paul. Ask yourself why Floyd didn't start going to the body to get himself some clean, easy shots at Paul's face when Paul got fatigued halfway through the fight. There was zero chance Paul, even with all the hugging, could have defended himself if Floyd was going all out.

Floyd was playing around out there. As for Tenshin, I never saw the fight and don't know what happened in the run up to it. He might have had a reason for making a point in that one. 

29 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

If he was trying to KO Paul, he would have KO'd Paul. Ask yourself why Floyd didn't start going to the body to get himself some clean, easy shots at Paul's face when Paul got fatigued halfway through the fight. There was zero chance Paul, even with all the hugging, could have defended himself if Floyd was going all out.

Floyd was playing around out there. As for Tenshin, I never saw the fight and don't know what happened in the run up to it. He might have had a reason for making a point in that one. 

I 100% agree Floyd was not going "all out" (like, he was down on the scorecards and only going for a KO or was going to sacrifice defensive fundamentals to go ultra-offensive) or even that he was treating Paul like a real threatening fight. I can even get on board with the take that Floyd was "playing around out there".

I'm just saying I don't think he was like pulling his punches or keeping him standing intentionally (like a reverse-fix haha) in order to secure future revenue. I think he's just older, retired, was fighting a big dude, was never a HUGE puncher, and was just gonna cruise control to a win. He was fighting not to lose.

Maybe we are saying the same thing, I just don't think a boring decision benefits him more than a KO financially and I don't think him not going to the body enough in the mid rounds is substantial proof of Floyd intentionally avoiding a KO. Seems like just goofing around, as you suggested. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I 100% agree Floyd was not going "all out" (like, he was down on the scorecards and only going for a KO or was going to sacrifice defensive fundamentals to go ultra-offensive) or even that he was treating Paul like a real threatening fight. I can even get on board with the take that Floyd was "playing around out there".

I'm just saying I don't think he was like pulling his punches or keeping him standing intentionally (like a reverse-fix haha) in order to secure future revenue. I think he's just older, retired, was fighting a big dude, was never a HUGE puncher, and was just gonna cruise control to a win. He was fighting not to lose.

Maybe we are saying the same thing, I just don't think a boring decision benefits him more than a KO financially and I don't think him not going to the body enough in the mid rounds is substantial proof of Floyd intentionally avoiding a KO. Seems like just goofing around, as you suggested. 

More or less. I'm saying that Floyd could have KO'd him if that was the goal, but he was fine getting paid a ton of money to play around. He wasn't unwilling to knock Paul out. But he wasn't trying to do it either.

• Like 1