The Official Boxing Thread IV - Golovkin vs Alvarez

J-ALL-DAY

Definitely. He was super close with his trainer and was devastated when he passed. It's a combination of things, but he just had gone up one division too much. These guys at 115 are bigger and stronger than him and he's known to not take care of his body in between fights. He probably should still be fighting at 112.

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely. He was super close with his trainer and was devastated when he passed. It's a combination of things, but he just had gone up one division too much. These guys at 115 are bigger and stronger than him and he's known to not take care of his body in between fights. He probably should still be fighting at 112.

Yea. It was pretty rough watching his gf run away frantically while on camera. Just a devastating loss that hurts more after him getting robbed in the 1st fight.

Funny how that works huh? Fighters that don't get the nod in the first controversial fight, usually end up losing the 2nd....Tarver vs RJJ is obviously the opposite :(.

Man, I had no idea the Canelo/GGG card starts at 5 pm PST. That means the main event will be taking place around 7:45-8:00 which is pretty cool. I hate late main events.....Granted, I'm on the West Coast and probably shouldn't be complaining LOL.

You guys are insane in the UK staying up so late for fights. My cousin from London called me right before the Mayweather/McGregor fight and was telling me he was wide awake and hadn't even taken any naps that day and it was like 4 am LOL. 

Can't wait for the fight though. Always have given GGG the edge, but Canelo up close will be able to win a lot of the exchanges. GGG needs to fight at range and is there to be had with inside combinations. Easier said than done though with his great footwork and jab. I'll go with GGG either late stoppage or close but clear decision.

This may be the biggest match up in boxing in terms of how big it is, but I don't believe either is a top 3 P4P fighter. For me, Ward/Crawford/Lomachenko stand alone in that department. 

19 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Funny how that works huh? Fighters that don't get the nod in the first controversial fight, usually end up losing the 2nd....Tarver vs RJJ is obviously the opposite :(.

Man, I had no idea the Canelo/GGG card starts at 5 pm PST. That means the main event will be taking place around 7:45-8:00 which is pretty cool. I hate late main events.....Granted, I'm on the West Coast and probably shouldn't be complaining LOL.

From what I'm seeing, it should start at 10:50/11 EST. 

Edit: nvm I gotcha

Edited by Blazer026

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You guys are insane in the UK staying up so late for fights. My cousin from London called me right before the Mayweather/McGregor fight and was telling me he was wide awake and hadn't even taken any naps that day and it was like 4 am LOL. 

Can't wait for the fight though. Always have given GGG the edge, but Canelo up close will be able to win a lot of the exchanges. GGG needs to fight at range and is there to be had with inside combinations. Easier said than done though with his great footwork and jab. I'll go with GGG either late stoppage or close but clear decision.

This may be the biggest match up in boxing in terms of how big it is, but I don't believe either is a top 3 P4P fighter. For me, Ward/Crawford/Lomachenko stand alone in that department. 

Same here, I just can't think of a single Canelo opponent that has prepared him for what he'll be facing in Golovkin. Triple G has fought the best that the current Middleweight division has to offer (and has beaten all of them), while Canelo has knocked out guys who would lose to most of GGG's victims. I won't be stunned if Canelo wins this fight decisively and without question, but I will be slightly surprised.

Yeah, Canelo hasn't fought anyone with the style of GGG, but overall I think he has been in with the more talented fighters. The two most talented fighters GGG  has been up against have been Brook and Jacobs. Not surprisingly, but both were able to land quite a bit and have a lot of success. Many people thought Jacobs edged it, but at worse it was super competitive pick-em type of fight. And then Brook up until he got stopped was more than holding his own. I would say Canelo is up there with those two in terms of skills. He's a better combination puncher than Brook/Jacobs, but does he have the footwork that Jacobs had to get away from GGG's power shots? He's going to get hit with the jab, that is a given. 

Yeah, I don't think Canelo will hurt GGG to the chin. GGG may have the best chin in the business. But GGG didn't like it too much when Jacobs went to the body. Canelo will have to mix his combinations up body to head. If he had better footwork then I would probably pick him to win. I'm really interested in seeing Charlo with GGG if he beats Canelo. Now that fight could go either way.