We Really Are Spoiled (Brandin Cooks)

TomRalph

8 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

Let's be realistic for a second here. The Patriots are lining him up as the X receiver 98% of the time, a position that just isn't a focal point of the offense. Pair that with Brady's deep ball issues and 65/1000/7 is an impressive output. 

It WASNT, but without Hogan/Edelman/Gronk  Cooks needs to step up to be the focal point, and he had opportunities to do that and didnt. Dont get me wrong, Cooks had a good year and is a very very good WR, but he is not a #1 on this team. 

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

It WASNT, but without Hogan/Edelman/Gronk  Cooks needs to step up to be the focal point, and he had opportunities to do that and didnt. Dont get me wrong, Cooks had a good year and is a very very good WR, but he is not a #1 on this team. 

You're right. He's not a #1 WR on this team and that's not his fault, nor is it indicative of his talent. He's a top 10 WR in the league based on his talent alone. When did the Patriots ever use an X/Flanker as the focal point of an offense, especially when needed? Moss is the exception and you know why....

I think the Patriots could do a better job of moving him around and scheming him the ball. Where are all the high percentage routes? He's being used purely as an intermediate option and deep element. Cooks' rookie year is a good example of his flexibility when the Saints used him in similar fashion to what we see with Edelman. Let's not forget how much Brady has struggled throwing him the ball. He literally lost ~300 yards and 3-4 TDs on that alone....

1) I am in agreement that he's not an "elite" #1 WR. There's not a lot of guys I'd take over him, however. I think he's really good fit for this offense.

2) I think too many expected him to fill the "Edelman role" when Julian went down. He's not that type of WR. I think he was brought in to be a complement to Julian. They play completely different roles. I'm excited to see both of them in this offense.

3) If he's been a disappointment, he's been a damn good disappointment. 65 catches, over 1,000 yards and 7 TD's. I think his impact goes further than what shows up on the box score each week. Teams have to always account for his speed and his big play ability. It opens up stuff and provides a trickle down effect for the O. I feel like he's drawn a fair amount of PI's this year.

4) People forget this guy is only 24 years old. Pretty crazy considering he just finished his 4th season in the NFL.

Nah I think he's been 100% worth it.  He creates a lot of space for us because of his vertical threat which is great for our space RB's like Lewis and White.  

Plus we've been conditioned to fall in love with WR's that catch a higher volume of shorter passes with a higher completion rate so, I don't think we fully appreciate deep vertical threats as much as we should because we always think that the lower completion % sucks.  

Archived