Mock

DudeWhat???

5 hours ago, DudeWhat??? said:

Kind of sort of...lol "- Notre Dame is entering its fourth year as a quasi-member of the ACC in football, playing five games per year against league teams while still maintaining its independent status. ... "

Personally i think they should keep this set...stay independent ...do quasi membership

and i agree with you that teddy could be a game manager..much like Alex smith who also limited by his arm.

Alex Smith is much better than Bridgewater, but yes, he is basically a game manager even if he does post 100+ QB rates compared to the 80-something that Bridgewater manages to put up.  I'm curious where Alex Smith goes next year if he's cut in favor of Mahomes.

3 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Exactly. I was talking with Viking fans the other day about just that.  I said how I watched Cowher's elite rosters fail to get over the hump for over a decade because they had no QB.  Vikings have been the same thing in that time span, except their rosters haven't consistently been that great nor have they had the coach like Cowher.  But the 1 good year of Favre, 1 good year of Cunningham (Moss's rookie year), etc, should show them what real QBing can do for your team.  I said I'd rather burn a 1 on a rookie than waste more years with a mediocre game manager like Bridgewater if I'm the Vikings, or the Steelers after Ben leaves.  Go big or go home.  

That's the problem...in our fear of being mediocre or average we completely forget the teams that go big every three to 4 years...Blaine to Blaine...From Tavaris to Ponder ...Bradford and so on..over 50% of first round QB's don't pan out and that's including the ones picked in the top 3...We don't want to be them either. I would never want to have a bad year to get a QB since your chances are still slim...Stop Gap and patience and development got us this far...no way we become like the..."others" lol i wont even call them teams lol...Cowhers rosters were not failures...he made it to the super bowl and had our team in the playoffs  on a regular basis...with like Neil Tomzack Kordell and Maddox....it wasn't pretty but it would be better than reaching for the weedens, quins tebows smiths manuels lockers leinharts jacksons and so on...i say we don't panic and go stop gap with a side of development.

51 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Alex Smith is much better than Bridgewater, but yes, he is basically a game manager even if he does post 100+ QB rates compared to the 80-something that Bridgewater manages to put up.  I'm curious where Alex Smith goes next year if he's cut in favor of Mahomes.

of course smith is much better than Teddy..teddy has only played a year or two...right? Meanwhile Alex as you mentioned is possibly on to his next team....it took alex 5 years to get to the playoffs...he was horrible for half a decade...and it took teddy one year to break some franchise records and by the second year he took the vikings to the playoffs...so yes...alex is better now...but i am not making any conclusions. And do we know if alex smith is being cut for sure? what if Mahomes stinks it up? what about Coach Reid...what's his say...i'm not so sure...but hey...it wouldn't be the first time.

27 minutes ago, DudeWhat??? said:

of course smith is much better than Teddy..teddy has only played a year or two...right? Meanwhile Alex as you mentioned is possibly on to his next team....it took alex 5 years to get to the playoffs...he was horrible for half a decade...and it took teddy one year to break some franchise records and by the second year he took the vikings to the playoffs...so yes...alex is better now...but i am not making any conclusions. And do we know if alex smith is being cut for sure? what if Mahomes stinks it up? what about Coach Reid...what's his say...i'm not so sure...but hey...it wouldn't be the first time.

Well, the Vikings have an elite defense (#1 across the board almost this year) and had a RB that everyone thinks is so great (I always felt Adrian was an over-rated moron that hurt the QB and entire offense as much as he helped).  You can't compare his situation with the horrible 9ers that were so bad they drafted Smith #1 overall.  Bridgewater never broke any meaningful records.  You do realize that the Vikings have only drafted 2 or 3 QBs in the first round their entire franchise right?  Daunte Culpepper, who was an idiot.  Christian Ponder who was a pure scrub.  Teddy Bridgewater who is a game manager at best.  Then they had 9th rounders like Brad Johnson, cast offs like McMahon, ~40 year old Favre, ~37 year old Randall Cunningham, ~40 year old Warren Moon, etc, off the top of my head.  Not to mention the likes of Gus Frerotte, etc.  Fran Tarkenton was the only franchise QB they ever had, and that was back in the era when passing stats were a fraction of what they are today.  

That's my long-winded way of explaining why most records related to QB in MN mean next to nothing.  1 year of Favre, 1 year of Cunningham throwing to Moss, 1 year of Culpepper putting up meaningless stats, and 1 guy from the antiquated offenses of the early 70s....not much competition.  

And yes, I realize that Bridgewater was not a finished product.  But I did see enough of him to know that Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are BOTH better QBs than him.  Bradford was outstanding last year in a horrible situation.  But his knees are shot it seems.  Keenum is balling.

59 minutes ago, DudeWhat??? said:

That's the problem...in our fear of being mediocre or average we completely forget the teams that go big every three to 4 years...Blaine to Blaine...From Tavaris to Ponder ...Bradford and so on..over 50% of first round QB's don't pan out and that's including the ones picked in the top 3...We don't want to be them either. I would never want to have a bad year to get a QB since your chances are still slim...Stop Gap and patience and development got us this far...no way we become like the..."others" lol i wont even call them teams lol...Cowhers rosters were not failures...he made it to the super bowl and had our team in the playoffs  on a regular basis...with like Neil Tomzack Kordell and Maddox....it wasn't pretty but it would be better than reaching for the weedens, quins tebows smiths manuels lockers leinharts jacksons and so on...i say we don't panic and go stop gap with a side of development.

Well, you know, it is extremely rare in my lifetime for the Steelers to even pick as high as #11.  Now imagine the last 13 years without Big Ben!  YUCK!  The first dozen + years of my Steelers-fandom with crap at QB was enough.  I don't want to even think about the last 25+ years with crap at QB.  

They were failures if we didn't win a SB.  Losing SB XXX to the Cowgirls thanks to that loser O'Donnell was one of the worst days of my life.  My senior year of high school.  Awful.  Losing to the Cheatriots in the AFCC all those times.  Awful.  That is failure.  

I do agree that I'd rather have Cowher's rosters, with the 1st rounders turning into quality players in various positions other than QB, and winning a lot, over being the Browns or something.  But Ben Roethlisberger and watching other franchise QBs should have taught us that you need a QB to win it all.  I can think of 2 times in this modern era where teams won a SB without a legit QB....and one of those times was Brad Johnson who was a much better QB than Tomczak, O'Donnell, Brister and Stewart.  

Btw, since we're (I believe) in the thread about drafting Lamar Jackson, this is as good of time as any to bring up Slash.  My cousin played at CU with Slash.  I was a HUGE fan of him, when he was SLASH.  When he was masquerading as a QB, not so much.  I am going to go watch that bowl game of Louisville that I recorded earlier, but from what little I've seen out of him, he's a scrub that is a great athlete but a terrible QB.  That's pretty much what Kordell was.  Great athlete, and thus why I loved him as SLASH.  Bad QB due to inaccuracy and trouble processing information and being a traditional pocket QB.  

15 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

Based on just seeing him and not knowing his combine measureables, I think this is a good bet.   Though I'd love it if he could get him in the 3rd.  

Chief, you never got your Bucky Hodges, maybe Christmas comes late for you in the 2018 draft.  :D

>:(I STILL think he has the ability to make a team. Anybody THAT big and THAT fast should make a roster. No he doesn't have the best hands but does Bryant? But I guess that's why I'm not a GM/HC.

3 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

>:(I STILL think he has the ability to make a team. Anybody THAT big and THAT fast should make a roster. No he doesn't have the best hands but does Bryant? But I guess that's why I'm not a GM/HC.

He didn't make a roster?  Haven't followed his career.  That is surprising.  I wasn't as high on him as you were but I thought he had some good talent.  

Just now, JLambert58 said:

He didn't make a roster?  Haven't followed his career.  That is surprising.  I wasn't as high on him as you were but I thought he had some good talent.  

He got cut by a few teams and I think is on a couch somewhere now. He may be on a PS idk. He's a hometown boy and a standup guy from what I've heard so I'm a little more "invested" I guess. 

I always thought Hodges looked like a scrub.  I hated the way he played.  He certainly checked the boxes and looked the part as far as measurables go, but he didn't play anything like that.  He's just a big, athletic guy, not a football player.  I saw him play in the preseason for the Vikes and he did make a few catches, but it was just wide open against scrubs that didn't cover him much.  The GM of the Vikes said he was misused in college and that made me think he had a chance, but he never amounted to anything.  I really did at least expect him to catch on with the PS, but he must be considered really hopeless if the German guy lasted a full season on a PS last year and he couldn't catch on for more than 6 weeks with Carolina's PS......this is the same team that was without Greg Olsen for a lot of the season too remember.  

Archived