2018 Draft, players we like

ericsvibe

The next position I'm going to address is WR. Even if Landry returned, the Dolphins still need a dominant Alpha WR. Parker just doesn't have it. The WR's I'm going to list will all fit a specific mold. Big bodied WR's who are just great football players. We already have 2 speed WR's with Stills and Grant. Parker is a big boundary possession WR. We need that Alpha playmaker. For this reason, Ridley isn't going to be on my list. We won't be running an offense that throws over the top multiple times a game, so Ridley would be limited, just like Stills has been. 

Courtland Sutton, WR MSU

6-4, 216 lbs

If the Dolphins go WR in the first round, this is the only player I feel would be worth the selection. Sutton is a physical, ball catching machine. When you watch him play, you can see that he uses his size very well. He has fantastic, strong hands, can make impossible catches, and snatches the ball out of the air. He also has the speed to get behind the defense, and has excellent ball tracking ability to get to errant throws. He catches the ball at the highest point, and fights for the reception. He is very hard to tackle and runs with speed and power. He is also a very good route runner, and knows how to get open. Sutton is a very effective blocker, he just doesn't go through the motions. On the Dolphins, Sutton would make an instant impact, and fill a need that has escaped the Dolphins going all the way back to the 90's. The only negative is that Sutton isn't going to make it out of the top 15, so the Phins would have to use a first round pick, and wouldn't be able to trade back to land him. Watch the video below, it clearly shows his body control, ability to make catches away from his frame, ability to under stand angles and fight back to the ball, very exiting player to watch.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:24 AM, cddolphin said:

Dolphins need to draft a QB this year. Round 3 or later. The only 'developmental' option behind Tannehill has been Doughty, who couldn't even see the field ahead of Cutler, Moore, or friggin' Fales.

I'd say round three or earlier. Exhibit A is Brandon Doughty.

On 12/29/2017 at 10:23 AM, cddolphin said:

6) Developmental WR - I do NOT want to re-sign Landry for more than $11.5m / year, nor do I want to franchise tag him for a whopping $16m. DvP, Stills, Grant, Carroo are all under contract for next season.

The Offense was pathetic with Landry, so you want to cut bait on him if its more than 11.5 mil? So who fill that production? Certainly not Parker who can't stay healthy or Carroo who can't find the field.

Consider this that man has more catches than ANYONE in the first four years of his career that includes Hall of famers and you don't think he's worth more than Devante Adams who's making 14.5 mil a season? I dont see him signing for any less than that because he's a better player. Take into account QB play hasn't helped him one bit and all he does is produce.

Last point does anyone think that Ryan Tannehill is worth 17 mil a season? I don't, yet that's his salary and it will escalate to 20 mil per if they keep him through this extension, go figure.

12 minutes ago, Daryl said:

The Offense was pathetic with Landry, so you want to cut bait on him if its more than 11.5 mil? So who fill that production? Certainly not Parker who can't stay healthy or Carroo who can't find the field.

Consider this that man has more catches than ANYONE in the first four years of his career that includes Hall of famers and you don't think he's worth more than Devante Adams who's making 14.5 mil a season? I dont see him signing for any less than that because he's a better player. Take into account QB play hasn't helped him one bit and all he does is produce.

Yes I do. Bad teams don't git gud by over-paying severely for luxury players, not when they have the 4th lowest amount of cap space. I love Landry. I hate some of his decisions, but I love him as a player and he is a valuable piece.

Nor do I. I fully expect him to clear $14m annually in free agency. Bears, 49ers, Browns are all realistic destinations.

12 minutes ago, Daryl said:

Last point does anyone think that Ryan Tannehill is worth 17 mil a season? I don't, yet that's his salary and it will escalate to 20 mil per if they keep him through this extension, go figure.

You realize that figure makes him the 17th-highest paid QB? It's less than Sam Bradford. It's a shade more than Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton. How much do you think average QBs are going for nowadays? Tannehill, based on his performance, is absolutely worth an average QB contract, which is exactly what he is signed for.

If Keenum, Bortles, and Foles can take their squads to conference championships, Tannehill has the same ability with a more complete team around him. Period.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Yes I do. Bad teams don't git gud by over-paying severely for luxury players, not when they have the 4th lowest amount of cap space. I love Landry. I hate some of his decisions, but I love him as a player and he is a valuable piece.

Nor do I. I fully expect him to clear $14m annually in free agency. Bears, 49ers, Browns are all realistic destinations.

You realize that figure makes him the 17th-highest paid QB? It's less than Sam Bradford. It's a shade more than Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, Andy Dalton. How much do you think average QBs are going for nowadays? Tannehill, based on his performance, is absolutely worth an average QB contract, which is exactly what he is signed for.

If Keenum, Bortles, and Foles can take their squads to conference championships, Tannehill has the same ability with a more complete team around him. Period.

No I did not realize it made him the 17th highest paid and he's average at his best 37-40 (wins) is the measuring stick not the talent he has because he may never live up to his own god given ability. So your logic is pay an average player his market value but not a very good player? I dont grasp that concept at all but to each their own.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Bad teams also fail to retain their own good players so they're stuck in the hamster wheel constantly drafting to fill needs that they themselves created. Bottom line you don't get better by jettisoning your most talented players. Look at the continuing Minnesota has, that defense has been together for three straight seasons and counting

15 hours ago, Daryl said:

No I did not realize it made him the 17th highest paid and he's average at his best 37-40 (wins) is the measuring stick not the talent he has because he may never live up to his own god given ability. So your logic is pay an average player his market value but not a very good player? I dont grasp that concept at all but to each their own.

My logic is paying a good QB (49 TDs - 27 INTS over his last 32 games... judging a QB by his W-L record is ESPN-level surface analysis) a fair price for a premium position is more necessary to be competitive than having an elite slot WR. Especially when he wants to be made a top-4 paid WR. Tannehill vs Landry is apples to oranges. Paying Landry $14m+ would mean less resources for other holes this team has. Keep in mind Miami has the 4th-lowest cap space this year. Hard decisions will be an inevitable part of this offseason.

15 hours ago, Daryl said:

Bad teams also fail to retain their own good players so they're stuck in the hamster wheel constantly drafting to fill needs that they themselves created. Bottom line you don't get better by jettisoning your most talented players. Look at the continuing Minnesota has, that defense has been together for three straight seasons and counting

I couldn't agree more as a general rule. I think Landry is an exception, however. The cost is too prohibitive for this team, this year. He's a fierce player and it's a damned tough call. I understand the debate and desire to keep him.

Minnesota also has $47 million in cap space, about 5x what Miami is working with.

Minnesota's GM has really put together quite the squad, mostly through the draft. I wonder who their GM is... oh it's Rick Spielman who's been with the team since Miami canned him last decade.

giphy.gif

I'll post a couple of draft related nuggets here. The Dolphins brain trust talked about what "type" of QB they want going forward. The words they used were, "balanced style of play, dynamic personality, a proven winner in high school and college, stats speak for themselves, proven on field leadership, take no prisoners attitude". They also said that at this point, the college tape speaks for its self, all they wanted to observe in Mobile is how the players interacted with each other, their demeanor especially with the coaching staff, and how well they listened to instruction.

I think that this statement puts Baker Mayfield on the Dolphins radar. I didn't think that the Dolphins would be interested, however, Baker's statement on social media, coupled with what the Dolphins are saying, makes sense. Sources in Mobile state that Rosen, Darnold, and Allen will be drafted in the top 10, with Rudolph another strong possibility. They state that some teams are scared that Mayfield will be too big of a media distraction, and that Jackson is still too raw. The same GM's are stating that they believe that Mayfield and Jackson will be drafted in the first round. Mayfield has stated that he doesn't have a problem being a back up for a couple of years while he learns the NFL game, and he has interviewed extremely well. 

Even beyond the QB front, the Dolphins want more players with "swagger". Internally, the Phins brain trust felt that too many players were just going through the motions. The statements Gase made all year about a lack of leadership speaks to this. Many players on the team just didn't gel, there were too many loners in the building. Tannehill has never been able to rally the team, with many players lukewarm about him. We have heard this for 5 years, but it seems to be that Gase is tired of it, and wants to get players with passion. Mayfield would definitely bring that.

On 1/26/2018 at 7:32 AM, ericsvibe said:

I'll post a couple of draft related nuggets here. The Dolphins brain trust talked about what "type" of QB they want going forward. The words they used were, "balanced style of play, dynamic personality, a proven winner in high school and college, stats speak for themselves, proven on field leadership, take no prisoners attitude". They also said that at this point, the college tape speaks for its self, all they wanted to observe in Mobile is how the players interacted with each other, their demeanor especially with the coaching staff, and how well they listened to instruction.

I think that this statement puts Baker Mayfield on the Dolphins radar. I didn't think that the Dolphins would be interested, however, Baker's statement on social media, coupled with what the Dolphins are saying, makes sense. Sources in Mobile state that Rosen, Darnold, and Allen will be drafted in the top 10, with Rudolph another strong possibility. They state that some teams are scared that Mayfield will be too big of a media distraction, and that Jackson is still too raw. The same GM's are stating that they believe that Mayfield and Jackson will be drafted in the first round. Mayfield has stated that he doesn't have a problem being a back up for a couple of years while he learns the NFL game, and he has interviewed extremely well. 

Even beyond the QB front, the Dolphins want more players with "swagger". Internally, the Phins brain trust felt that too many players were just going through the motions. The statements Gase made all year about a lack of leadership speaks to this. Many players on the team just didn't gel, there were too many loners in the building. Tannehill has never been able to rally the team, with many players lukewarm about him. We have heard this for 5 years, but it seems to be that Gase is tired of it, and wants to get players with passion. Mayfield would definitely bring that.

I agree.  I stated in a thread a couple months back that I thought Gase would either love or hate Mayfield and there would be no in between.  I think some teams will see him as a Johnny Manziel while others see him as a Drew Brees.  I think more teams will see Mayfield as a first round pick right now than a second, so even if Gase hates Mayfield it’s smart to show a ton of interest to try to entice a trade.

On 1/25/2018 at 10:04 AM, cddolphin said:

My logic is paying a good QB (49 TDs - 27 INTS over his last 32 games... judging a QB by his W-L record is ESPN-level surface analysis) a fair price for a premium position is more necessary to be competitive than having an elite slot WR. Especially when he wants to be made a top-4 paid WR. Tannehill vs Landry is apples to oranges. Paying Landry $14m+ would mean less resources for other holes this team has. Keep in mind Miami has the 4th-lowest cap space this year. Hard decisions will be an inevitable part of this offseason.

I couldn't agree more as a general rule. I think Landry is an exception, however. The cost is too prohibitive for this team, this year. He's a fierce player and it's a damned tough call. I understand the debate and desire to keep him.

Minnesota also has $47 million in cap space, about 5x what Miami is working with.

Minnesota's GM has really put together quite the squad, mostly through the draft. I wonder who their GM is... oh it's Rick Spielman who's been with the team since Miami canned him last decade.

giphy.gif

I agree with your thinking to a degree, I just don't see how they plan to get better if they dont pay Landry. From what I understand he wants to be paid like a Top 10 WR not top 4 and I don't think thats asking too much.

Consider this Adams in GB plays with a Hall of Fame QB and his numbers are no where near Landry's number and I said before he's not even their #1. I think we can agree that's Jordy.  As you know GB is forking over 14.2mil for a decent WR he's good but I take Landry over him any day. 

The criticism of Landry was he didn't score TD's this yr he has 9 so it's changed to his YPC are terrible but in this offense and what he's asked to do thats what you get. It seems like they just move the finish line on him every time he proves his worth. 

Think about this Landry the heart and soul of that offense made less than 8 non starters last season, including Sam Young! That's insane and I fully understand him wanting to get paid.

I hope both side work it out but I'm telling you if they let him get away we won't win six games. They will have created another hole with no solution in sight. Parker is soft as Baby poo and carroo is unproven.  That means throwing another draft pick at it when we have enough needs as it is.

At this point all we can do is sit back and see what happens my friend.

The next WR I am going to list is going to be a middle to late first round pick. So the Dolphins could trade back and still be able to select this player. Again I am listing players who will be a clear upgrade over what we currently have, that meet the size requirements I feel are lacking on the Dolphins.

Equanimeous Saint Brown

6-4, 205 lbs

When you watch tape of ESB, the first thing that pops out is how smooth an athlete he is. He is very fluid, and for a WR with his size and catch radius, the way he runs is just fun to watch. He is an excellent route runner, and knows how to get open. He has great acceleration and long speed, with big fluid strides. He has fantastic hand eye coordination, with the elite body control to come down with errant throws. He has strong hands and can make contested catches. The only negative on ESB, is that he had a limited route tree. This was due to the offense, not because of any shortcomings from ESB. ESB also tracks passes extremely well, making tiny adjustments in his route to get to the pass. Unlike some of the other large frame WR's I'm going to list, ESB is a deep threat. I see him as a Randy Moss type of player. I know that is big praise, but if ESB was on an offense that targeted him more, he could have doubled his production in college, easily. The main negatives for ESB all derive themselves from what he was asked to do in college. He was never asked to contribute allot to the run game, so he needs to work on his blocking. He needs to gain some muscle mass, at least 10 lbs. ESB would fight for extra yardage in college, in the NFL with his size, he needs to learn to just go down once wrapped up, or to dip out of bounds. He could be a liability with strips as NFL defenders are way bigger, way stronger. We even saw this with Kenyon Drake this year. Overall, ESB is worth a first round pick. Someone better draft him before NE, because ESB on the Patriots would be a nightmare.

Archived