Week 17 GDT(Win and In Edition): Jaguars(10-5) vs Titans(8-7)

TitanSlim

20 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Just gonna drop this here. 

I know the fans and defense will show up, only question is if the offense will. I was at the week 2 game against Jax and it was so fun watching us dismantle them in all 3 phases....man that feels like so long ago.

4 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

You know what is so pathetic about Mularkey....and further evidence that he is out of touch with the game? Everyone can see that a healthy Murray is slow and only can gain yards through a gaping hole...one that any NFL RB can run through, everyone except Mularkey that is!!! We all can see that he will not be 100% but he is either considering playing him at less than 100% or he thinks that the idea he might play is even concerning to the Jags.

He is so delusional about Murray. Either 1) He actually believes that a 75% Murray is so impactful that he would consider playing him Sunday, or 2) He thinks that Murray is still so effective that the Jags are actually concerned that he might play. 

With Murray out, we're about to find out what Henry is all about.  

I agree with most (all?) of the board that Henry is the best ball carrier on the roster...  but I still don't think he's the better RB, especially not if we run the offense that most posters want us to run.  That's always been my issue with Henry... his strengths seem to be counterproductive to what Mariota's stengths seem to be... hurry up, no huddle, predominantly out of the shotgun style offense.  Murray is by far the better all around option, giving the offense versatility that Henry doesn't.  The proof?.. is in the pudding.  Murray has played 646 snaps this year... getting 184 carries... or running the ball 28% of his snaps... or one carry every 3.5 snaps.  Henry, on the other hand, has ran the ball 148 times in 346 snaps... 42 % of the time, or a carry every 2.3 carries.  

As far as running effectiveness, in spite of the seemingly far apart as the YPC stat is, they haven't been that different on a snap per snap basis.  I'm not going to just flat out dismiss Henry's 2 long 4th Q runs... he finished those runs, and delivered that knockout punch with both.  But on a per carry basis, those 2 runs skew his ypc.  Take away those 2 snaps, and Henry averages 3.7 ypc... .1 more than Murray.  That means that on a snap per snap basis, they're essentially the same runner.  We don't have to look too far to find more examples of this.  The past 3 games, Henry has gone 8-20, 7-19, and 8-25... not very effective games.  But take away his long gains from each game, and eh's looking at 7-11, 6-9, and 7-15.  This tells me that he has one run that gets a good gain... but then does nothing the rest of his snaps.  Is that really what we want from a RB?  Is that what defines a good big back?

I think RB is one of the biggest needs going into next offseason.  I really like Lewis from NEP... or a back of similar style.  I wouldn't be upset if we targetted a more rounded RB early in the draft... first 2-3 rounds... someone who can do it all... block, catch, run... leaving Henry in the same role he has today... not more, not less...

100% agree that RB is a big need. Make no mistake, I am not one that thinks that Henry is leaps and bounds ahead of Murray all around. I do however think that a diminished Murray is worse than a healthy David Fluellen. I am of a mind that at this point in his career Murray is better suited in a supporting role and not a good fit to play along side Henry. We need a third down pass catching and route running RB to pair with Henry.

Also it might be slightly unfair to say that Henry "can't do" what Murray does...he has never been asked to start and be the start to finish primary back. We shall find out Sunday...then we can say it!!

2 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I hope Muhammad gets in a couple of plays we need a guy with his speed out there I hope he gets in the game at some point 

This coaching staff has been holding down my AAT all year long. I hope my little speedster breaks one for us and endears himself in the hearts of Titans fans for an eternity! B|

Certainly not banking on it...but I kinda think that Jax comes out gets a couple of Defensive stops and a score or two, then pulls the main guys with some positive mojo. Can't see them going all out and risk us beating them (since we are a second half team) for a second time, and allowing our confidence to grow. We just don't seem to start playing until we are down 10pts.

I can see the Titans getting a psychological advantage coming out of this game. Titans beat them week 2 with all the starters healthy for the Jags while we were down 2 starters (Cyp and Davis was hurt halfway through the game)

I don’t think the Jags take their starters out of the game because they are winning (they will if they are blowing us out obviously) I can honestly see the Titans getting after Bortles and roughing him and Fournette up a little bit and the Titans forcing the Jags to sit starters because the Titans dictated it.

If the Titans do in fact play well against the starters you would have to think going into Saturday the Jags would have to be questioning themselves and start to have some doubts creep in. Hell didn’t Jackson and a few players getting into it on the sidelines in SF? If the Titans can bring it to the Jags on Sunday then next Saturday could be fun if we play them again

1 hour ago, renndawg37 said:

I just want to see Henry bully Ramsey at least once. A win would be nice too. 

I'm so lost at why this is such a thing. Lol

Henry is a 250 pound back. Ramsey is a corner. What are we expecting a guy way bigger to do?

3 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

If Henry ran over people more often I’d make it a thing but Henry’s soft he gets tackled way to easy

You're overreacting to a few plays... Henry has great numbers after contact. IIRC he led the league in average yards after contact last year.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I'm so lost at why this is such a thing. Lol

Henry is a 250 pound back. Ramsey is a corner. What are we expecting a guy way bigger to do?

Let’s not act like Ramsey isn’t one of the bigger DBs in the league and supposedly one of the more physical ones. Henry has embarassed him on more than a number of occasions.  

This is a game the Titans can win. I expect a close game. Problem is I have no faith in the offense. The defense to me I feel will be fine even with the injuries in the secondary. Tye Smith I thought played pretty well last week at CB for us.

I am excited to see Henry as the number 1. Yes I get Murray may be better on passing downs but a strong dose of Henry running is what the Titans need to do to win this game. If there was ever a game where Mariota cannot throw picks this is the game. I am expecting Delanie Walker to show up big in this one. Also Taywan Taylor I hope gets more playing time.

On defense, last week they got tore up by arguably the best overall RB in the NFL. Fournette healthy is no Gurley. The Titans should be able to stop the run but the run defense needs to be better than last week. Hurns is apparently going to be back which could cause some issues for our secondary. The Jaguars are missing two top wide outs though.

Finally, I really do not understand the logic of Marrone. His team has nothing to play for. He has all the advantages in this game as the Titans need to go all out to win. If I was him I would be resting guys and just keeping an eye on what the Titans do as they would be playing them the following week should the Titans win. Playing the starters, if they suffer injuries in what will be a physical game, would look like a complete bonehead move.

I don't like the Jaguars, please Titans win.

Archived