Pat Mahomes to start vs Broncos

ET80

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Alex won't be in KC next year regardless of this game IMO. My gut tells me he's going to end up in Cleveland.

I have a hard time seeing that happening. Alex hasn't been a guy solely motivated by money, I think he wants to be a starter on a Superbowl bound team. Cleveland just doesnt fit that bill. It would make sense from Cleveland's side though. 

It will boil down to how he does in the playoffs. If he has a game like he did in the NFCCG in 2011 or like last year in PIT, then this is more than likely his last year. If he takes them to the AFCCG and plays well, they almost have to bring him back for another year.

I think its more likely he ends up in Denver than in Cleveland. Denver would actually be a great fit for him.  

Curious to see how Mahomes does. Also Paxton Lynch is starting for Denver. Has the potential to be a really boring game. 

Mahomes is in a good situation to start. Get in the flow and Nagy seems to be doing great as a playcaller. Only real negative is that Nagy is a hot name for HC consideration now, and the solid playcalling he has recently been putting up will only increase that.

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

I have a hard time seeing that happening. Alex hasn't been a guy solely motivated by money, I think he wants to be a starter on a Superbowl bound team. Cleveland just doesnt fit that bill. It would make sense from Cleveland's side though. 

It will boil down to how he does in the playoffs. If he has a game like he did in the NFCCG in 2011 or like last year in PIT, then this is more than likely his last year. If he takes them to the AFCCG and plays well, they almost have to bring him back for another year.

I think its more likely he ends up in Denver than in Cleveland. Denver would actually be a great fit for him.  

Curious to see how Mahomes does. Also Paxton Lynch is starting for Denver. Has the potential to be a really boring game. 

Question is though if he plays well enough to garner a new deal it likely won't be for just 1-2 years right? 

19 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Alex won't be in KC next year regardless of this game IMO. My gut tells me he's going to end up in Cleveland.

That would actually be a solid move for Cleveland.  Having a "steady/good" QB would be a huge improvement for that team. 

14 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Question is though if he plays well enough to garner a new deal it likely won't be for just 1-2 years right? 

Who knows, maybe its a two year deal that is structured so there is little dead weight in year 2. Maybe Alex values winning or the chance to win a SB more than a long term contract. Maybe hes thinking if he wins a SB that he would just retire. This is his 12th NFL season and hes 33 years old.

The guy was the first overall pick pre-rookie structure and isnt a lavish spender. He was driving the same beat up pickup truck he had in college when he was with the Niners, so Alex taking a team friendly deal for a year or two to try to WIN doesnt seem that far off to me. Whether or not they want him back is another story and will depend on their playoff success. 

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Is KC benching most of their starters?

From the sounds of things it's kind of a mix. Reid has only confirmed benching a few. Smith is definitely benched for Mahomes. A few guys who have been playing somewhat banged up late in the season likely won't play (LDT at RG, Logan at NT, and Houston at OLB are probably safe bets.) Reid has also said that some young players who haven't gotten much playing time will be getting substantial looks too (Jehu Chesson at WR, Ehinger at G, Kpass at OLB, and Eligwe at ILB are likely qualifiers there.)

But they really haven't confirmed much officially, and the roster size restricts things a bit. Can't bench a full OL, for instance. I'd expect them to limit Kareem Hunt's workload, but at the same time, West has missed practice with illness, so if he's out you can't roll with just one RB.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

If Mahomes does his best Deshone Kizer impression, Alex will absolutely be back.  That's an unlikely if though. 

I expect Mahonnes to have a good rookie showing. Not anything spectacular but enough to get his beak wet. Alex Smith should be back next year. I don't see the value in just gift wrapping the job to Mahonnes. Make him compete and earn that job. There aren't a ton of teams out there that would make a move for Alex. Buffalo, Denver, New York are all possibilities but I don't how interested they'd be in a stop gap quarterback with a ceiling of a Jon Kitna.

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

I expect Mahonnes to have a good rookie showing. Not anything spectacular but enough to get his beak wet. Alex Smith should be back next year. I don't see the value in just gift wrapping the job to Mahonnes. Make him compete and earn that job. There aren't a ton of teams out there that would make a move for Alex. Buffalo, Denver, New York are all possibilities but I don't how interested they'd be in a stop gap quarterback with a ceiling of a Jon Kitna.

Eh, what? Alex Smith this year is really a lot better than Kitna ever was. I'd like him in Denver but I can't see it because KC still has his rights and probably won't trade him in the division. I know Andy Reid did that before with Donovan McNabb but I doubt lightning will strike twice. Look for them to send him to a team that has a decent roster outside of the QB position but just needs a QB to keep them going. For me that's the Bills, the Cardinals, Jags (I doubt they move on from Bortles though), Redskins (if Cousins leaves) or Texans (if Watson is going to be out again next year)

Archived