Hockey's Mock 1.0

Hockey5djh

Hockey's Mock 1.0

Yea....its not the offseason yet but work was slow. Sue me. No Free Agency, just draft picks.

1 (32) – Traded pick 32 (580 points) to the 49ers for 2 (24)(340 points) and 3 (7)(235 points). John Lynch moves up to get the falling Cortland Sutton to pair with the newly acquired Jimmy G.

og796k-b88833912z.120161105194749000gr5jspjm.10.jpg?w=620

2 (24) – Ronald Jones II

RB, USC - 6’0”, 200lbs

Yep, we traded for Jay Ajayi but Blount is a FA and our backfield could use another playmaker. Enter Ronald Jones, the perfect complement RB. Reminiscent of Shady, Jones, who also wears #25, has a nasty jump cut and the ability to hit home runs with vision, balance, and quickness. He’s not overly active in the receiving game but has shown good ability when used.  Like most RBs coming out of college he could use some work in his pass protection but Jones is another playmaker for Carson to utilize.

USATSI_10373646_156326094_lowres_1509400171833_11515648_ver1.0.jpg?preset=534-401

3 (7) – Duke Ejiofor

DE, Wake Forest - 6’4” 275lbs

Duke falls to the third because of his less than ideal bulk and is lack of ability to drop into coverage to be an effective 3-4 OLB. That said Duke is a disruptive player on the edge totaling 17.5 sacks and 32 TFL as a starter the last two seasons. He has several effective pass rush moves and a great first step. He’ll be super effective as a situational pass rusher early on (ala Carl Lawson) as he bulks up and works on his run defense.

6_4861534.jpg

4 (29) – Micah Kiser

LB, Virginia - 6’2”, 240lbs

Kiser has a good build and big frame but is still very quick and good at closing in on ball carriers. He is a sound tackler that racks up the numbers totaling 382 tackles, 19 sacks, 12 PBUs, and 8 FFs over the last 3 seasons as a starter. At this point in his development he’s best described as a downhill thumper. A strong ILB that can diagnose plays and make solid tackles. Kiser would need to develop his coverage skills to become a more complete LB.

B99479522Z.1_20161223171631_000_G2T19K4EN.1-0.jpg

4 (32) – DJ Moore

Junior WR, Maryland – 5’10” 215lbs

DJ Moore, from Phiadelphia, PA, is a shorter receiver that makes up for his height in every way possible. A YAC machine and a willing blocker. Moore finished his junior season with record breaking 80 catches for 1,033 yards, and 8 TDs despite receiving passes from 5 different QBs on a disappointing team. In 2017 Moore lead the Big 10 in catches per game, tied for third in average yards per catch, and second in yards per game. I think with Caron Wentz throwing Moore the football he could do special things in this offense.

Isaiah%20Wynn.jpg

5 (32) – Isaiah Wynn

Senior OL, Georgia – 6’2” 302 lbs.

Wynn started this season for the Bulldogs at LT, despite his size, and the team ranked top 10 in the NCAA in rushing. Versatility is a key here as Wynn can play all 5 positions on the OL. While I would limit him to the interior at the NFL level Wynn is a great blocker with top notch footwork and strength. He has good balance and rarely loses a block. Wynn could work on his consistency and focus, he also needs to learn second level blocking but his base skills would make him an exceptional guard at the next level. He hits all the buzzwords you want to hear from an OL prospect, “nasty”, “tenacious”, “mean streak”. Hopefully Stoutland can clean up some of the inconsistencies and technical aspects to help Wynn thrive in the NFL.

636487578611145137-basile51.jpg

6 (32) – Mike Basile

Senior FS, Monmouth – 6’0”, 200lbs

Can’t miss an opportunity to rep the Alma Mater. Miles Austin, Chris Hogan, now Mike Basile. Basile is a beast and was named the FCS defensive back of the year and a first team AP All-American. His stat line this season: 126 tackles, 9.5 TFL, 3 Sacks, 5 PDs, and two blocked kicks. He’s not a one year wonder either, compiling 433 tackles and making first team all-conference 4 straight years. NFL comp: Brian Dawkins…duh

First off, I just wanna say that I am happy to see mocks back.

I know... I know. We locked up the #1 seed in the NFC before the last week which is very impressive since there are a lot of good teams, but our team is far from perfect as the past weeks have demonstrated and we need to add more young talent as we are one of the most cash strapped teams.

It's fun to think about ways we can improve and who can help us do that.

With that said, this is a very good mock @Hockey5djh. I like that you included info on the prospects for those that may not know them.

We can dispute if guys will last to certain picks, but I don't think that's worth arguing about unless its egregious and I don't think that's the case here. Like I think Ronald Jones could get selected late 1st or early 2nd, but that isn't guaranteed. I think Duke Ejiofor probably goes closer to early round 2, but having him early round 3 isn't a crazy fall.

Getting Ronald Jones in the later part of the 2nd round is a very good value. He would add an explosive element to the running game that we've been lacking. He's not the biggest back at 200 lbs, but that's still solid size and the 5-10 lbs he put on this past off-season in addition to the new RB coach working on his pad level has resulted in more power to his game as he's breaking more tackles than previous years or at least it seems that way to the naked eye. You're right about his pass protection needing work, but that is a common weakness for most backs coming into the league. Corey Clement was criticized some for his pass blocking coming into the league, but he's made strides in that department since. 

I haven't watched a lot of Duke Ejiofor, but I like what I've seen from the highlights and little game tape I've seen. 

3 hours ago, Jlash said:

At 6'4 275 lbs Ejiofor would seem to have plenty of bulk for that position wouldn't he?

Yeah, I'm not sure why Hockey said that. That is ideal size for a 4-3 DE.

Derek Barnett was only 259 lbs coming into the league.

Being bigger he is more equipped than Barnett to go against right tackles who are usually more powerful.

In fact, he has the size to kick inside on 3rd downs to rush the QB like Brandon Graham does. Not just cause of the size, but also cause he knows how to use his hands.

You won me over with the DJ Moore pick. A guy I mentioned in the draft thread as a possible target. We badly need more YAC since Jeffery and Ertz ain't getting it.

I know about Wynn and Kiser (unlike Basile... lol) , but haven't watched for them specifically, so I won't comment.

I've seen an Eagle blogger whose opinion I respect pimp Wynn though.

This is what was said on him in WalterFootball's rankings by draft insider Charlie Campbell.

12/9/17: Wynn has impressed scouts this season as he has been an excellent run blocker for the Bulldogs. Wynn blocks with aggression and has a temperament that is hard to find in college blockers. In pass protection, Wynn has been very dependable as well. Because he is shorter and doesn't have ideal length, some sources think that Wynn could move to guard or center in the NFL. Wynn started at left guard in 2016, but scouts think he is athletic enough to also play center. Wynn's size and skill set has drawn comparisons to Kelvin Beachum, who is undersized but has managed to carve out a career at left tackle in the NFL. Wynn is just a natural football player who finds a way to get the job done, thus he might end up sticking at left tackle.

Sounds like scouts agree with you on his best spot being inside, but looks like he will be long gone by the late 5th round.

WF has him with a round 2 to 3 projection.

Found more on his draft stock from insider Tony Pauline in a column from his site DraftAnalyst.

Isaiah Wynn/OL/Georgia: Wynn has been a favorite of mine since I first scouted him as a sophomore in 2015. After moving to left tackle this season, Wynn has watched his game take off, and his draft stock is surging. He was terrific during the Bulldogs victory over Auburn in the SEC title game, springing ball carriers free for several long runs while helping keep his quarterback upright just about the entire game. Wynn has the build of the offensive lineman and the strength to play at the next level. Though he won’t be able to stay at left tackle in the NFL, Wynn is a solid mid-round pick who could have a long career as a backup or spot starter.

From your description it sounds like he's a guy you really like, so maybe just move him up a bit in your second mock.

17 hours ago, Jlash said:

At 6'4 275 lbs Ejiofor would seem to have plenty of bulk for that position wouldn't he?

Just by numbers you would think yes but from many things I've read its a very slight 275 and he could add more bulk (not necessarily weight) to help with the run game.

17 hours ago, 808 said:

Would have liked to address OT earlier, but maybe we did in Free Agency prior to this. 

Honestly, My 1A choice without looking at value is to add an OL but when I got into making this draft there weren't really many OTs I liked past the early rounds. I took a hard look at Martez Ivey (who I'm not sure has declared yet) and looked back at the potential of RoJo in the backfield and couldn't pass it up. I guess when I build this out OT will have to be a high FA/trade target. 

14 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why Hockey said that. That is ideal size for a 4-3 DE.

Probably the case of me over analyzing tbh. I had Ejiofor in my mock last year before he decided to go back to school. The dude is just a disruptive force on the end. He needs a bit of work in the run game as he tends to just run around the Tackle to make the play instead of anchoring/stack and shedding.

You won me over with the DJ Moore pick. A guy I mentioned in the draft thread as a possible target. We badly need more YAC since Jeffery and Ertz ain't getting it.

I'll admit that you posting about him did play a role in the pick as the more I read about him the more I liked. Most of his routes are drags and flats and he just makes plays with the ball in his hands, I think that could play nicely with Alshon on the other side and Hollins taking the Torrey Smith fly route role.

Sounds like scouts agree with you on his best spot being inside, but looks like he will be long gone by the late 5th round.

WF has him with a round 2 to 3 projection.

Found more on his draft stock from insider Tony Pauline in a column from his site DraftAnalyst.

I was really torn on where to put him to be honest. WF has him in the second, most places have him in the "mid rounds". I settled on 6th because of NFLdraftscout's ranking. That said they tend to get much more accurate closer to the draft and I could see him being a riser come spring.

11 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Reminds me a bit of Jeremy Maclin at Mizzou in that respect. 

What actually sold me is reading college game day scouting reports. They ALWAYS listed him as the biggest threat and one even called him the best WR in the league. Considering he had 5 different QBs and played on a 4-8 team I think that's saying something. Normally when you're dealing with backup, backup, backup QBs you tend to focus on the running game....not in the case of DJ Moore.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

What actually sold me is reading college game day scouting reports. They ALWAYS listed him as the biggest threat and one even called him the best WR in the league. Considering he had 5 different QBs and played on a 4-8 team I think that's saying something. Normally when you're dealing with backup, backup, backup QBs you tend to focus on the running game....not in the case of DJ Moore.

Agreed.

Also, thanks for tipping off your BDL interests.

Archived