State of The Browns: One Fans Opinion

TheeRealDeal

Hello everyone long time lurker deciding to step out of the shadows.

First I'll state the obvious, we a very bad football team coach extremely poorly and we are more than likely going to make history going 0-16 among many other bad records; 1-31 in two years 4-44 in 3 years and 4-49 in last 53 games. Wow the suck just suddenly seemed to hit me even harder typing that out. It is truly incredible how bad we have been for so long. I think this was all a result of the Chud/Banner and Pettine/Farmer era in Cleveland. There was no real way to escape this situation except maybe 2-3 more wins total in the last 3 years, but is that really better?

Sashi Brown: I believe he saw exactly what I said about the effects of the previous 2 regimes. He was a man with an understanding that losing was inevitable and an vision to get the Browns out of that losing cycle. I believe he was thinking the same things I believe which is losing is losing whether is is 4-12 or 1-15, 3-13 or 0-16 who really cares? He thought if losing was inevitable then what is the harm in losing bigger because you lost decent players for more assets and high assets due to losing. I was a huge fan of the Sashi approach and I believe it was going to work. I don't believe for one second his intention were ever to keep trading down every single year. He traded up into the 1st just last year and again in the 4th round. I was not a fan of the firing but I believe we will survive the loss as he set us up very well for the future. I believe Hue Jackson should have been the one to take the fall.

Hue Jackson: I was a huge fan of his and will admit he was #1 on my wish list for Head Coach. I will be the first to admit I was wrong. You cannot survive in the NFL if you are not flexible and Hue Jackson has proven time and time again he needs things to be a certain way, he need a certain type of player and he can only coach a certain way. This is not the 1960s anymore you coaches, players, schemes and play calling must be flexible. He never goes to bat for his own players either and that is a huge draw back to me.

John Dorsey: I have read many comments on here by many poster who seem to have written him off already including a friend of mine who drug me out of the shadows. I cannot say that I agree with the sentiment. I was not a fan of his comments regarding the team his first week on the job. Even if they were true I believe a good leader keeps those thoughts in house. Mistakes will be made and I can forgive that minor one. Many of the complaints are about his spending. He has signed many free agents, however, outside of Maclin I cannot think of any big contracts. He has dealt out a lot of 3 year 12-18 million dollar deals which are more than reasonable as that is the going rate for quality veterans and every team needs veteran leadership. One of the biggest positives about Dorsey is his understanding of positional value and how it plays out in the draft. He has had 4 opportunities to draft in the 1st round and has made his picks Eric Fisher(Franchise LT), Dee Ford(Pass Rusher), Marcus Peters(Shutdown CB) and Patrick Mahomes(Franchise QB), hands down the 4 most important positions on the football field and he took players with elite traits combined with proven college production. I believe we are in good hands with the GM position and I am not remotely worried about an epic spending spree that will leave us old and cap strapped.

The Draft

2018 QBs

I believe we are in a great position to find out QB and not just because we have the #1 overall pick either. I don't believe there is a can't miss Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck in the draft but I believe there are more potential franchise QBs in the draft than ever before. There is the obvious front runners Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen. Next I believe Ryan Finley and Riley Ferguson have franchise QB traits and Baker Mayfield is either going to be a spectacular firework show or a bomb that blows up in your face. Now here is where most of you will turn on me but I am going to stand by my convictions and say I believe Ryan Finley is going to be the best of them. He is a tremendous commander of the offense. He has an evenness to him that give everyone faith and keeps everyone focused. He doesn't ever get too excited and he never gets too down he has an ability to keep his emotions out of the game to remain focused on the task at hand. It is one of the most underrated aspects of a great leader. It cannot be coached and you cannot put a value on it. He has superb ground up mechanics you rarely if ever see from young QBs. Most draft prospects it starts and ends with arm up throwing mechanics/motions/strength of arm. Even the best of the best as prospect typically have a very long way to go with there throwing platform, stance and footwork. I believe Ryan Finley has many of the hardest things to correct by coaching. 

I have been a Browns fans long enough to know Browns fans have long hated the idea of drafting a QB with our 1st rounder and I know how every time Browns fans say they like a certain lesser rated QB better it is because they think they can get him with a less valuable pick and still use the premium pick on a "star" position player. I am not in that category at all. I like Ryan Finley enough to say that I would take him #1 overall right now and not even feel bad about it.

1. Ryan Finley

2. Josh Rosen

3. Sam Darnold

4. Riley Ferguson

-------

5. Baker Mayfield

-------

6. Josh Allen

7. Lamar Jackson

8. Mason Rudolph

I believe any of these QBs could potential develop into something in the NFL but I see a clear separation with the Top 4 and then again with Mayfield. The bottom three are in no particular order. Allen has ridiculous traits with his arm and athletic ability, however, he is a lose cannon as a leader and plays reckless. He struggles to read defenses and is wildly inaccurate as well as terrible touch on passes.

Some of the other debates I have been reading on here for awhile and my opinions.

Saquan Barkley: Heck no would I take him in the Top 5 or even Top 10. He is not overly special. He is no Adrian Peterson, Leonard Fournette or Todd Gurley and he is no where close to Zeke was as a back who did all the small things great. He is very good but he is not overly special. The biggest reason I don't take him Top 5 is because of this incredibly talented bunch; Derrius Guice, Sony Michel and Damien Harris. I believe all 3 will be stars in the NFL and my favorite is Sony Michel. I love his desire to initiate contact and how his finishes every run whith his feet always running through the defender. I believe his floor is the highest of all the backs for that very reason.

My preference with Houston's pick is Denzel Ward. The kid is an absolute stud athletically and I believe he can man up with any WR in the NFL. His feet are so fast it is incredible to watch him match receivers step for step at the same speed while he is moving backward and they are moving forward. I believe he is going to be extremely special. I think he is the single most talent player in this draft and he plays one of the 4 premium positions.

1. Denzel Ward

2. Bradley Chubb

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick

That would be the order of my big board. I don't see any WR worth a Top 10 pick right now. Hands down my favorite WR is Michael Gullop from Colorado State but I see him peaking in the 25-40 range. Another position to look at would be a future LT especially if Joe Thomas hangs it up, however, I am not a fan of Orlando Brown's flexibility and movement skills and we didn't get to see enough of Connor Williams this season. 

Another reason to those I already mentioned that makes me more comfortable putting Ward over Fitzpatrick as well as Chubb is Jordan Whitehead, DeShone Elliott, Armanti Watts, Quin Blanding and fairly deep FS class. Jordan Whitehead would be my favorite 2-4th round choice. He is very young and supremely athletic. He is not the best or most aggressive tackler but I believe in a ballhawking centerfielder role could take away a huge portion of the field on every passing down.

Thanks for reading. I am going to slip back into the shadows and just read whatever ya'll have to say.

Your opinion goes against a lot of other people. That being said I like reading differing opinions. I’ll have to look at Finley more. 

I like ward but I don’t see him as being better than Fitzpatrick and I have watched a lot of Ward this year. 

I don’t think this is the year to draft Thomas’s replacement. I still think he has a few good years left. 

My current QB ranks are:

1. Rosen

1b. Darnold 

2. Mayfield

and those are the only three I would personally take at the top of the draft. I like Stidham as my dark horse. I think he could develop into something really good. 

@TheeRealDeal

Welcome!!

A fellow long-poster kinsman...I salute ye sir knight of the long post...we hail from a distant time amongst such charlatans that ascribe to ideals of concision & post quality unbecoming of a long post knight.

A lot of good points...

That Ryan Finley over Darnold and Rosen take is explosive.

So, is the Ferguson over Mayfield and I'm the biggest Riley Ferguson fan.

Denzel Ward has Amazing feet but he's even smaller than Vernon Hargraves coming out and has no physicality...and isn't a good tackler. He's a twig out there wiht most saying he's barely 5 ft 10 182 soaking wet (despite being listed as 190), but he's one of my favorite players in the draft. Top 5 is way too rich for any DB not named Minkah Fitzpatrick but I want Ward in a trade up from round 2. He's not a lock down CB1 at the next level but he will be an impact starter.

37 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

@TheeRealDeal

Welcome!!

A fellow long-poster kinsman...I salute ye sir knight of the long post...we hail from a distant time amongst such charlatans that ascribe to ideals of concision & post quality unbecoming of a long post knight.

A lot of good points...

That Ryan Finley over Darnold and Rosen take is explosive.

So, is the Ferguson over Mayfield and I'm the biggest Riley Ferguson fan.

A few things to point out about Sashi Brown:

1,He was the greatest GM in football history at acquiring draft capital and cap space

2, He was the greatest GM in football history at being a press conference CEO and frontman for a major organization.

3. He was the greatest GM in recent football history at sticking to the plan of the disciplined rebuild and using expert/scout opinions to select good football players in year 2.

However, those 3 things are not all that is required to be an exceptional GM but given how poor many are at their jobs it made him a good one.

He could not give an expert opinion on any player based on a player traits, & understanding of play decisions analysis that could satisfy Coaches or other Personnel execs.

He was great at drawing on a consensus of expert opinions which often leads to correct decisions, but for critical decisions like on QBs, free agents, selecting players that don't fit the system (we played a 34 defense year 1 but drafted Ogbah, a 43 DE....Nassib, a 43 DE-5tech...Joe Schobert, a 43 iLB not a 34 LB) those decisions showed a serious misunderstanding of required aspects of team building; that is, the acquired talent must match the coaching schemes and plans.

Those things doomed him..and for me it's accurate to say both it was right to fire Sashi and hire John Dorsey to shepherd upcoming major team building decisions AND that Sashi Brown will be responsible for us achieving longterm sustainable winning.

Yeah I'm happy with the talent he got but I didn't trust him to eventually construct a roster that competed before his own talent recycled itself.  He did so many other things that didn't seem too bright.  He drafted Jabrill, traded our starting MLB for Calvin Pryor, and already had Kindred and Campbell on the team.  That's going into the season with 4 box safeties.  Or else they really think Jabrill is a FS, or needs to see the entire field.  We cut Joe Haden and ran with basically 3 CBs, perhaps forcing us to play soft zone all game?  The QB situation was a disaster going into the season.  He let multiple talented players walk that would have stayed.  I can see where the coaching staff would have legitimate gripes with what they were given.

3 hours ago, OttoGrahamsGhost said:

Your opinion goes against a lot of other people. That being said I like reading differing opinions. I’ll have to look at Finley more. 

I like ward but I don’t see him as being better than Fitzpatrick and I have watched a lot of Ward this year. 

I don’t think this is the year to draft Thomas’s replacement. I still think he has a few good years left. 

My current QB ranks are:

1. Rosen

1b. Darnold 

2. Mayfield

and those are the only three I would personally take at the top of the draft. I like Stidham as my dark horse. I think he could develop into something really good. 

My comp for stidham is Jake Delhomme

7 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Welcome.

You obviously put a lot of thought into this.

Thanks.

Here are my two cents:

I was a huge fan of the Sashi approach and I believe it is going to work.

fify

It will, if Dorsey, Hueball and the Haslams don't screw it up.

Sashi was the only one of them with the cajones to see it through.

I believe Hue Jackson should have been the one to take the fall.

Without a doubt.

But he is a modern day Machiavelli always putting himself before the team and the players.

Hue Jackson: I was a huge fan of his and will admit he was #1 on my wish list for Head Coach. I will be the first to admit I was wrong. You cannot survive in the NFL if you are not flexible and Hue Jackson has proven time and time again he needs things to be a certain way, he need a certain type of player and he can only coach a certain way.

Hueball's rigidity is programmed success for him, and programmed failure for the team.

I for one do not think that any one "system" is the be all end all of success in anything.

You have to be able to hit what's pitched ala' the Hoodie, and Hueball cannot.

My preference with Houston's pick is Denzel Ward.

I have to go Minkah.

We need playmakers on both sides of the LOS.

I can take or leave the John Dorsey remarks. I don't like what his past has shown and he was fired for a reason but I will agree he may not be as bad as we have been making it. I cannot live with the comments about the Top of the draft. Ryan Finley? Has anyone ever even mentioned this guys name in the draft let alone the 1st round? If he hasn't been hyped by now then he's no real threat to go Top 5. Browns need to quit being stupid and take the guy who has been the stud since last year Sam Darnold. I can live with Minkah Fitzpatrick with Houston's pick and have come to embrace the idea but Denzel Ward and Bradley Chubb as well as others over Saquan Barkley is such a Browns move to make. Take Sam and take Minkah/Barkley which ever is left at #4. Passing up a stud like Barkley for a later round guy like Michel or Harris is yet another Browns move. It is the very reason we are so void of talent right now. I'm guessing your name doesn't refer to scouting.

Archived