Dave Gettleman hired as GM

Acgott

Great hire for y’all. Did a great job here building depth. We’ve had a lot of injuries here and very little drop-off. He’s a great talent evaluator: Benjamin is the only player he seemed off the mark with.  Plus he mishandled the Norman situation. 

Biggest issue is a lot of ex-players hate him and he was not good at dealing with people. Otherwise though he’s a very good GM that won’t over-pay for average players and will nail the draft.

2 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

So if Gettleman had no previous ties to the organisation then you guys would be OK with it, even though he has been very successful?

Me, I'm okay with it. More than once I have wished they had hired Gettleman instead of Reese, in the years following Jerry's sexy first draft. Thought he had a lot of whiffs after 2007 (especially The Black Hole of the 3rd round); gambled on athletic freaks; never traded down to add extra picks; didn't re-stock the O-line; may not be aware there's a position called "linebacker"; and, you know, Eli Apple. So there's that. I am hoping that Gettleman is a major upgrade. I do not think his previous time with the team should be arbitrarily held against him.

More from CSR’s Smith:

“Dave Gettleman is a classic 'film junkie' who spends a ton of his time scouting players. He's a little too obsessed with measurables for my liking, as he's been known to make statements like 'You can't teach 6'5", 240' when talking about players. His infatuation with measurables led to the Panthers making questionable decisions, like drafting Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess in back-to-back years. This caused the Panthers' offense to be redundant and made their wide receiver group too one-dimensional. (As a side note: trading Kelvin Benjamin to Buffalo this year seems to have helped with that problem.)

“Gettleman is not afraid to take the player he wants, regardless of need or draft position. He drafts based on his board and ignores everything else. For example, he picked Vernon Butler in the 1st round of the 2016 draft when the Panthers already had Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short on the roster. He wasn't afraid to pick multiple players from the same position in consecutive rounds, as he picked three cornerbacks with consecutive picks in the 2016 draft to rebuild the position after Josh Norman left via free agency. He did this again in 2017 by taking Christian McCaffrey in the first round and Curtis Samuel in the 2nd round.

“It's too early to tell if he was a great drafter or not as most of his draft picks are still on their rookie deals, but for the most part Panthers fans don't complain about his drafting because he gave us players like Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short, James Bradberry, Devin Funchess and Christian McCaffrey. He's had some busts like all GMs, but if I had to give him a letter grade for his drafts it would be a B or a B+. 

“His approach to free agency when he was in Carolina was comparable to shopping the clearance rack at Walmart. He loved to shop in the bargain bin for free agents, and he had a strange ability to find good players for cheap. (Example -  Kurt Coleman. A good player that he got for two years, $2.8 million in 2015.)”

RELATED

4 hours ago, Ohbeejay said:

So much for getting new blood. We just got a blood transfusion from old blood. Status quo forever.

I understand the frustration, but let's keep in mind that's always how the Giants have done things and it's worked out pretty well throughout the history of the franchise. Only a few teams have multiple Championships let alone in the last 10 years. McAdoo was "new blood," and he just led us to the worst season in our history and got fired after 2 seasons. Again, I understand the allure of completely new blood, but let's try to look at this on a macro level. Gettleman has proven success building winning teams. I think we should be encouraged by that.

Archived