Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

9 hours ago, KingTitan said:

He shouldn't have been hired based on public opinion and of course previous lack of success. However, what he has done with the team, all the things we can see and the things we can't, looks to mean more than those previous stops and what we think. 

My instincts say he will be here another year.  I think what will end up being important is, 2 "winning" seasons, maybe a playoff berth and a reason to believe things will get better (Mariota with a full off-season without a major surgery to work on technique) and possible changes to the offensive staff. Also the team has never quit. All year, they have played hard (not well but hard).  They compete.  The main reason to get rid of him would be to satisfy the public outcry. Organization loves him and despite the obvious struggles, they believe in him, hence why they hired him without even looking. 
I don't think their belief in him has weakened, especially if he is willing to make a change at OC.  

The main reason to get rid of him, public outcry aside, would be because we have a franchise QB and a head coach who doesn't know what to do with him.

7 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Meh, this is from Ian Rapoport fwiw. Not really anything new but it's out there.

"Tennessee Titans: For the first time in years and years, the Titans have a chance to win a home game to make the playoffs. That is their sole focus heading into Sunday. If they lose -- or perhaps even if they go one-and-done in the playoffs -- coach Mike Mularkey is in danger of losing his job. Sources say there has been serious frustration about the development of quarterback Marcus Mariota, and hiring a quarterback guru as a head coach (Patriotsoffensive coordinator Josh McDaniels would be a possibility) could be the play here."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900056/article/whos-safe-whos-out-afc-coaches-on-hot-seat

God I hope this is true. They spent money trying to advertise Mariota as the face of the franchise years ago and it makes sense that him flourishing would absolutely trump an average record. 

The fact that fans consider 8-8 or 9-7 as a success for Malarkey just goes to show how big of a joke this team has been in the past.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanSS said:

God I hope this is true. They spent money trying to advertise Mariota as the face of the franchise years ago and it makes sense that him flourishing would absolutely trump an average record. 

The fact that fans consider 8-8 or 9-7 as a success for Malarkey just goes to show how big of a joke this team has been in the past.

Yep it’s quite pathetic but I guess since we’re not 2-14 and 3-13 anymore it’s ok. Should’ve just hired Fisher back if that’s the case.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

Watching NFL countdown and Schefter just said that he feels the Titans are "leaning toward" moving away from Mularkey. Again, just Adam's opinion. Said that we are already considering other options and, win or lose, we may move on. He did say, though, that a playoff run would obviously help.

Interesting. I was expecting him to say we were "leaning toward keeping him"

10 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Watching NFL countdown and Schefter just said that he feels the Titans are "leaning toward" moving away from Mularkey. Again, just Adam's opinion. Said that we are already considering other options and, win or lose, we may move on. He did say, though, that a playoff run would obviously help.

Interesting. I was expecting him to say we were "leaning toward keeping him"

There was this from Rapoport early this morning as well, if you take his "sources" seriously:

Hmm...reports that we're "leaning towards" getting rid of Mularkey. Then you have things like this out there....

"That's because those close to McDaniels believe he's as motivated as ever to strongly pursue any opportunities that might come his way, and there are expected to be several. McDaniels has been more deliberate in recent years, wanting to ensure that he wasn't rushing into a second job as a head coach, and that he had a thorough evaluation and understanding of where things went wrong in Denver (2009-2010). Seven years later, the timing seems better than ever for him to take the plunge."

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4809874/tom-brady-bringing-back-his-scuba-suit-to-combat-frigid-temps-in-finale?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

....I'm beginning to wonder.

If Mularkey is canned, are there any assistant coaches currently on staff you guys would like to see kept?

Russ Grimm is probably the first obvious answer for anyone, I feel like Nick Eason and Lou Spanos have done solid jobs at DL and LB coach respectively. Steve Hoffman has done a solid job with the special teams since taking over midway through last year too.  Grimm would probably be the only guy I'd seriously fight to keep if I'm the new head coach though.

• Like 1

Just now, TitanLegend said:

If Mularkey is canned, are there any assistant coaches currently on staff you guys would like to see kept?

Russ Grimm is probably the first obvious answer for anyone, I feel like Nick Eason and Lou Spanos have done solid jobs at DL and LB coach respectively. Steve Hoffman has done a solid job with the special teams since taking over midway through last year too.  Grimm would probably be the only guy I'd seriously fight to keep if I'm the new head coach though.

Is LeBeau considered an assistant? I may be in the minority, but our D has overachieved big time this year. We had a couple cruddy games, but LeBeau has done a very good job with them this year, imo.

Just now, deeluxx3 said:

Is LeBeau considered an assistant? I may be in the minority, but our D has overachieved big time this year. We had a couple cruddy games, but LeBeau has done a very good job with them this year, imo.

I like LeBeau and agree that he's done well with what he's been given, but I want to move on in large part just cause of his age. If I'm a new head coach I don't want to have to worry about my DC possibly retiring each year while trying to build the team. But if he were kept I wouldn't hate it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I like LeBeau and agree that he's done well with what he's been given, but I want to move on in large part just cause of his age. If I'm a new head coach I don't want to have to worry about my DC possibly retiring each year while trying to build the team. But if he were kept I wouldn't hate it.

if we go with one of the younger offensive guys (defilippo, nagy) they would be smart to keep him if he wants to stick around. i’m not sure either could procure a defensive coordinator that would be better than him (faults and all)