Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

Seriously though....It's hard not to root for him, because I see what he means to the team.  
To me, that is one the most important things about a coach. The players support and being able to lead a locker room is just as important as being able to draw up some plays.

Of course being able to find one that can do it all is ideal.
But if he can't then being smart enough to find someone that can do it.

I stated it somewhere in response to what @titans0021talked about.  Robiskie was a good WR coach and hadn't been an OC since the Bo Jackson days with the Raiders, that was before some of you guys were born. 
I don't mind an older guy as an OC. But someone that has had documented success as an OC in the last 10 years would work better for me.  Even when Robiske was an OC, it wasn't that great. It was middle of the road.

My philosophy with hires and signings is give them a chance to succeed and if/when they fail replace and move on.  I rooted for Robskie, i wanted him to succeed but I've seen enough.
Murlakey is going to be back, baring some epic sideline meltdown Saturday.  

He has the pulse of the team and I'm hoping he feels the players aren fans of what they are doing.  However, they also haven't helped by not executing the simplest of plays.

4 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Mularkey, hire Tom Clements or Greg Olsen and let them run the offense. That's all I ask for at this point.

If need be, demote Robiskie to WR coach.

uhhhhh greg olson who got fired by the jaguars because blake bortles regressed under him? that greg olson?

If he fails to make any changes, I'll be VEEEERY disappointed and frustrated. 

But I'll write this year off as a down year and hope he gets it right.  But only get 3 years from me. Beyond what some think, I'm not ok with floating around the 9-7 mark with a struggling offense. Detroit got rid of the coach after 3 out of 4 winning seasons and 2 playoff appearances. But it didn't feel right and felt like it wasn't going anywhere. 

32 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

uhhhhh greg olson who got fired by the jaguars because blake bortles regressed under him? that greg olson?

I honestly got Bill Musgrave and him mixed up...lol.

Looking at it now, Olson's career is weird. He's played a role in the development of young QBs like Bortles, Derek Carr and now Jared Goff. However, QBs seem to play great the first year under him then regress. Marc Bulger, Josh Freeman, Blake Bortles. It's strange.

Edited by TitanSlim

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Well, if I wasn't already positive that Mularkey would be back, the fact that JLC says it's a possibility he is let go pretty much guarantees it.

Book it.

Probably getting an extension too, since Canfora is reporting.

Surprised if he didn't say Murlakey was "Living On a Prayer."

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I stated it somewhere in response to what @titans0021talked about.  Robiskie was a good WR coach and hadn't been an OC since the Bo Jackson days with the Raiders, that was before some of you guys were born. 
I don't mind an older guy as an OC. But someone that has had documented success as an OC in the last 10 years would work better for me.  Even when Robiske was an OC, it wasn't that great. It was middle of the road.

Yup. Whereas I'd much prefer a younger head coach, I'm fine with an older OC. With the requirement that they've both worked with and helped develop good or great quarterbacks and that they've had something resembling recent success running an offense that isn't based around three tight end sets. Robiskie was a bad hire from day one. Not only because of his age, but because we should have been looking for someone that had a track record of working with young quarterbacks, not a relic that's only success in the last 25 years came as a WR coach.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. Whereas I'd much prefer a younger head coach, I'm fine with an older OC. With the requirement that they've both worked with and helped develop good or great quarterbacks and that they've had something resembling recent success running an offense that isn't based around three tight end sets. Robiskie was a bad hire from day one. Not only because of his age, but because we should have been looking for someone that had a track record of working with young quarterbacks, not a relic that's only success in the last 25 years came as a WR coach.

Will have to go back and look, but does anyone remember what stage he hired him as OC?  What were the choices at the time? Just trying to rationalize the decision and put hope in the fact he might change given more choices. 

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Will have to go back and look, but does anyone remember what stage he hired him as OC?  What were the choices at the time? Just trying to rationalize the decision and put hope in the fact he might change given more choices. 

January 18, 2016. So, in between the divisional and conference championship round, which feels pretty early.

Looked it up, it was also two days after Mularkey was given the full-time job. So he was definitely the first choice.

27 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

January 18, 2016. So, in between the divisional and conference championship round, which feels pretty early.

Looked it up, it was also two days after Mularkey was given the full-time job. So he was definitely the first choice.

I also went back and looked.

Coordinators hired that year:
Clyde Christiansen (Miami)
Todd Monken (Tampa Bay)
Mike Sullivan (New York Giants)
Ken Whisenhunt (San Diego Chargers)
Frank Reich (Philly)
Curtis Modkins (San Fran)

Now....it's not to say this was the only people we could hire...but it's not exactly a who's who of hot OC's.  Frank Reich would have been great, but that was a package deal with Pederson. 

Just now, KingTitan said:

Now....it's not to say this was the only people we could hire...but it's not exactly a who's who of hot OC's.  Frank Reich would have been great, but that was a package deal with Pederson. 

I suppose it makes sense that a group of bad HCs hired a group of bad OCs. 

• Like 1

Just now, titans0021 said:

I suppose it makes sense that a group of bad HCs hired a group of bad OCs. 

Right. 
Guys like Clements was in Green Bay when Murlakey was hired. And hard to argue with keeping Robiskie after last's year success.  But now that someone like Clements, Musgrave, Norv Turner, Greg Roman and possibly Rod Chudzinski are going to be available, Murlakey might have a bigger pool of old guys to choose from..lol

38 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Right. 
Guys like Clements was in Green Bay when Murlakey was hired. And hard to argue with keeping Robiskie after last's year success.  But now that someone like Clements, Musgrave, Norv Turner, Greg Roman and possibly Rod Chudzinski are going to be available, Murlakey might have a bigger pool of old guys to choose from..lol

is clements even coaching these days? does he want to?