Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Two coaches need to be gone this offseason... Robiskie and Jackson. How Frisman Jackson a guy from Temple got a job as an NFL coach is beyond me. It wasn’t like he was putting guys in the NFL. WRs got worse this year with far better talent. That’s on him and this offense.

I know we tried to get former Broncos WR coach Tyke Tolbert last year. Wonder if we try to get him again, now that he's available.

Yea I think we need a QB coach as well. This team needs to move towards a power-spread scheme. It’ll work with these current players. Someone mentioned it before but Mularkey needs to take on that CEO role and let the offensive and defensive coordinators run their units. Obviously he has input on the offensive side but we more spread concepts in this offense and the bunching up, we need to see less of.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yea I think we need a QB coach as well. This team needs to move towards a power-spread scheme. It’ll work with these current players. Someone mentioned it before but Mularkey needs to take on that CEO role and let the offensive and defensive coordinators run their units. Obviously he has input on the offensive side but we more spread concepts in this offense and the bunching up, we need to see less of.

+++++

power spread is exactly what we need with our personnel. the players love mularkey and clearly are willing to go all in for him, and that's worth a lot. if we can bring in better offensive staff we'll be in a pretty good place heading into next season.

If somehow DeFillipo doesn’t get a HC job would love him as an OC. But doubt Mularkey is going to want to hire a potential successor to his staff. His coaching choices always seem to be guys no one would replace him with, so imagine we’ll get another retiree to come back to work as OC.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VY said:

If somehow DeFillipo doesn’t get a HC job would love him as an OC. But doubt Mularkey is going to want to hire a potential successor to his staff. His coaching choices always seem to be guys no one would replace him with, so imagine we’ll get another retiree to come back to work as OC.

What’s Chris Palmer up to these days? Lmao

• Like 1

Rex Ryan was a defensive coach who also had ridiculously good defenses when his team was making it to the playoffs.

I'm all for the offense and Mariota being more on the OC, but I just feel like Mularkey has had a lot of input on this offense. I believe this is the scheme he wanted. I believe he hired Robiskie because he knew he would run this scheme that he wanted. I also believe that he now realizes he needs to make a change and adapt, and I hope thats true. 

How do you guys feel about Kevin O’Connel. He’s currently the QB Coach of the Redskins, he’s been around some bright offensive minds from Jay Gruden, josh McDaniels. He’s young & is from Knoxville ? wonder if McDaniels will give it thought, since the patriot connection is there. I’m intrigued 

http://m.redskins.com/news/article-1/Kevin-OConnell-Adds-Passing-Game-Coordinator-Duties/6d432a0c-e3c9-4c55-b3b8-f37c576b472c

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah. They had no choice now. Just wouldn't make sense. Players are 10000% behind him and has produced. Ugly. But producing. 

This summer will be key. 

No mention of an extension. So still a lame duck as of now. 

Not true.  

A long tweet thread on Mularkey/his offense/him sticking around, covering some positives and negatives. Good read overall IMO:

He also takes questions after this tweet thread/makes more comments that are worth reading, so check those out after reading this tweet thread.

Edited by TitanLegend
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

A long tweet thread on Mularkey/his offense/him sticking around, covering some positives and negatives. Good read overall IMO:

He also takes questions after this tweet thread/makes more comments that are worth reading, so check those out after reading this tweet thread.

pretty spot on. mularkey's long term success will depend on whether he (and, ideally, if he's smarter than we believe/hope he is, a new OC with experience in this area) is willing and able to take what we did vs. la rams, san fran, KC and build an entire offense out of it.

the thing that kills me is it's all there for him if he can just adapt, damn it! we can *still* be a nasty, tough team that runs the hell out of the ball and controls the clock if we adopt this offense. it's no coincidence that henry had gaping holes to run through once we started spreading KC out.

Edited by -Hope-

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

"power spread rushing attack mixed with west coast passing concepts"

Exactly what we've been asking f9r all season. When some of us complained about bunching everything up it appeared Mularkey supporters thought we wanted to run the Chip Kelley offense.

Not at all. 

You can still pound the rock, just dont make your passing game reliant on play-action vertical throws. We don't have that QB. We have a QB who could be absolutely dominant in a west-coast passing attack with a heavy emphasis on the running game.

Now let's find an OC who knows how to pair those concepts and get the best out of Mariota.

• Like 1

I do have some hope that these changes will be permanent, and that there was a chance that we could have seen this earlier if Marcus wasn't battling leg injuries all season. He'll be back next year, I guess we'll find out pretty quick if he's going to learn from this season.