Curious Case of Mike Mularkey

KingTitan

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i’m fully expecting us to miss the playoffs next year if no changes are made. watson and luck will be back, the jags will keep building, and we have a way harder schedule. 8-8 at best.

I'm always a wait and see guy. We'll see if Luck and Watson are able to do their thing.

Sidenote:
I know people fee like we didn't take advantage of a down year in the division or AFC, I think we did. We made the playoffs and made it to the divisional round. We lost to the top seed.  We did beat a Chiefs team that was on that "tier."  Wasn't pretty how we got there, but did go as far as a team could go that is on the level we are. 

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Awful part for me is if we fire Mularkey we likely hire McDaniels.

Going from mediocre to awful.

Idk Id  be interested to see what Josh could do with this offense 

But YO we cant let McDaniels have control of the roster. Cause this fool will trade Marcus or something crazy. Jrob needs to keep control lol

If we should keep Mularkey because we got to the playoffs and won a game for the first time in 14 years..

Should the Jags keep Bortles because he got to the playoffs and won a game for the first time in X years?

When you look at it like that, it's easy to see how Mularkey could be fired because he is the weak link, as is Bortles. Just because we got this far, doesn't mean we shouldn't seize opportunity to improve. The Colts wasted years on Pagano because Luck carried him far enough to keep his job. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, footlunder said:

He's not going to have the same control he had in denver.  he was 31 and had total control there. If he's hired, it's to coach.  

Do you think he's not innovative?  Won't maximize mariota/offense?  

I think he's supposed to be an offensive mastermind who has 0 results without Tom Brady, and there isn't a single Pats assistant since Belichick took over that's been successful. Weis failed, McDaniels failed, Crennel failed, Mangini failed, O'Brien is failing. I want nothing to do with a Belichick assistant, particularly one who is supposed to be a great offensive mind but failed in both of his stops without Brady/Belichick.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm always a wait and see guy. We'll see if Luck and Watson are able to do their thing.

Sidenote:
I know people fee like we didn't take advantage of a down year in the division or AFC, I think we did. We made the playoffs and made it to the divisional round. We lost to the top seed.  We did beat a Chiefs team that was on that "tier."  Wasn't pretty how we got there, but did go as far as a team could go that is on the level we are. 

The colts even with Luck don't scare me. Now the Texans are a problem that we haven't been able to solve for a while now. As far as the jags getting better.. MEH we have proven we can beat them and even if they do replace Blake I still think we match up with them pretty well..

Edited by VY-FTW

Just now, TitanSS said:

If we should keep Mularkey because we got to the playoffs and won a game for the first time in 14 years..

Should the Jags keep Bortles because he got to the playoffs and won a game for the first time in X years?

When you look at it like that, it's easy to see how Mularkey could be fired because he is the weak link, as is Bortles. Just because we got this far, doesn't mean we shouldn't seize opportunity to improve. The Colts wasted years on Pagano because Luck carried him far enough to keep his job. I hope we don't make the same mistake.

I think a difference is that Bortles deal is up. And it's 100% clear Bortles is the problem there. With the Titans, there could be some argument the problem is HC, but OC. 
Also, if Murlakey had a deal up, it would be easy just to not bring him back.....Thank him for what he did and move on. The team would have to justify to mainly the players, that a change is needed. I don't think the fans need convincing. lol

Pagano at least made OC changes. But he was saddled with a bad GM. They still were competitive this year too.....

But I get your point. 

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

I think he's supposed to be an offensive mastermind who has 0 results without Tom Brady, and there isn't a single Pats assistant since Belichick took over that's been successful. Weis failed, McDaniels failed, Crennel failed, Mangini failed, O'Brien is failing. I want nothing to do with a Belichick assistant, particularly one who is supposed to be a great offensive mind but failed in both of his stops without Brady/Belichick.

O'Brien has been pretty good for the texans.  absolute crap at qb and won the division twice in 3 years.  Got watson and the offense started clicking until he tore his acl.

Just now, footlunder said:

O'Brien has been pretty good for the texans.  absolute crap at qb and won the division twice in 3 years.  Got watson and the offense started clicking until he tore his acl.

O'Brien literally has done the exact same thing Mularkey just did: went 9-7 in a putrid division to make the playoffs then do nothing of note once getting there. Hell, Mularkey already has the most impressive playoff win between the two.

And even with "Watson and the offense clicking" they still had a losing record.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

O'Brien literally has done the exact same thing Mularkey just did: went 9-7 in a putrid division to make the playoffs then do nothing of note once getting there. Hell, Mularkey already has the most impressive playoff win between the two.

No qb and best player on the team been injured for two years, and won the division twice.  He hasn't failed though.    

Was McDaniels offense really that bad in Denver?

Just looking up statistics I see them as 15th in total yards and 13th in passing yards in 2009. 13th in total yards and 7th in passing yards in 2010.

Had the 32nd ranked scoring and total defense in 2010 when he was fired, which is obviously not a good sign.

Just now, footlunder said:

No qb and best player on the team been injured for two years, and won the division twice.  He hasn't failed though.    

Not really impressed with 9-7 against putrid divisions, and you can go ask Texans fans and they'll tell you the same thing.

O'Brien isn't the worst coach in the world, but I certainly wouldn't call him a success. He pretty much is Mike Mularkey to me, similar "tier" at least.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Thank you.  
Only thing that makes me not feel too bad is that the Patriots do that to everyone, Houston, Kansas City, Indy, Baltimore, Denver......they all have suffered L's in the divisional round at the hands of the Patriots. 

I fear no team in the AFC South. 

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Just looking up statistics I see them as 15th in total yards and 13th in passing yards in 2009. 13th in total yards and 7th in passing yards in 2010.

Had the 32nd ranked scoring and total defense in 2010 when he was fired, which is obviously not a good sign.

Hey now...that's dangerous round here...lol

Past failures are past failures.  
And shall forever mark him for it.

:)

Just now, TitanSS said:

Started 6-0 then finished his stint 5-17. Broncos were 20th and 19th in ppg offensively, so not enough to impress me.