This Jaguars defense deserves better than Todd Wash

pwny

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-jaguars-defense

This is the interesting situation that the Jaguars find themselves in. They clearly possess the talent to be a Super Bowl-winning defense, but their simple schemes are easily exploitable by coaches who have a bit of creativity in their arsenal. Shanahan absolutely fits that mold. Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels, Mike Tomlin, and Todd Haley are all coaches who have had postseason success, and they're going to be the coaches in Jacksonville's way during the postseason.

A very well written article that highlights a lot of areas of doubt for this coaching staff.

9 minutes ago, iPwn said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-jaguars-defense

A very well written article that highlights a lot of areas of doubt for this coaching staff.

Yeah...I liked Wash a lot but that game against SF really highlighted some glaring issues. 

The fact we kept allowing Poz to be out there in coverage and get torched again and again was gut wrenching. 

Unfortunately, if he doesn't fix things and Wash gets exposed again, there's no way with the success of this season a change is being made. At best TC and co. sit down with Wash and make him change things.

The secondary was pretty vocal after last season about wanting to focus less on scheme and more on allowing our guys to make plays. I don't fault Wash for listening. It didn't work against San Fran for a variety of reasons and hopefully there is more of a balance between the two ideologies heading forward, but I am happy with how the defense has played and with how Wash has performed as a coordinator for us.

20 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

The secondary was pretty vocal after last season about wanting to focus less on scheme and more on allowing our guys to make plays. I don't fault Wash for listening. It didn't work against San Fran for a variety of reasons and hopefully there is more of a balance between the two ideologies heading forward, but I am happy with how the defense has played and with how Wash has performed as a coordinator for us.

Gotta see how the defense responds but I agree. As I said above, I had been largely happy with Wash but it was very obvious he got outcoached in a big way this past Sunday. 

Now, let's also realize we had 3 turnovers, one being a pick 6, as well as multiple dumb pebalties, one of which coming at a crucial time when we still had a chance from Malik.

Regardless, games like SF happens. But I don't want to see it becoming more than just a random occurrence. Talent wise, there's no reason this past Sunday should have occurred.

I hate playing so far off the WRs when our guys are so great playing press-man. That's what kills me the most. Give our DL time to get to the QB, dont give the QB a free few seconds to make a wide open albeit short throw

But we still have a great defense, idk if i want a whole lot to change. Yea it sucks having Poz out there in coverage especially when Jack and Telvin are healthy

I just think our tendency to play things straight forward is a major cause for concern against good coaches. It’s so easy to identify what the defense is doing on each play. When we decide we aren’t going to play press, it’s easy for any decent coach to pencil whip our defense up and down the field.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:20 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I hate playing so far off the WRs when our guys are so great playing press-man. That's what kills me the most. Give our DL time to get to the QB, dont give the QB a free few seconds to make a wide open albeit short throw

But we still have a great defense, idk if i want a whole lot to change. Yea it sucks having Poz out there in coverage especially when Jack and Telvin are healthy

Vs bunched/compressed sets, playing tight man to man defense invites pick plays...

18 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

Vs bunched/compressed sets, playing tight man to man defense invites pick plays...

They need to either play press and work around those pick plays or create confusion with play calling so the QB can’t just pick apart the defense because we’re playing loose coverage that he can recognize immediately.

1 hour ago, MightyRx said:

I'll rather play loose and make them string 12-15 play drives to score then to force our defenders to work around rub routes where one mistake goes for a big play...

> implying our soft coverage doesn’t have an extremely high big play percentage against

Our defense is probably the easiest defense to diagnose in football. We run a handful of plays in the secondary and they adevelop differently. There’s no disguise, no deception. It’s a straight forward defense with very few concepts the offense has to figure out.

What makes it work is that we have extremely talented players playing it. Ramsey and Bouye can mug receivers at the line and disrupt timing routes and the handoffs in zone are flawlessly executed 95% of the time. It makes for extremely small margins the offense needs to work in. And frankly, offenses aren’t good enough to work in those margins with the ball skills our LBs and DBs have.

The problem is - once you play off the ball, Bouye and Ramsey are no longer impacting the offense’s timing. The QB knows a receiver is going to be at a spot at a certain time. They know where the hand off points are, and because the CB hasn’t been playing tight the entire time, the handoffs aren’t as crisp; resulting in larger windows to get the ball into. This allows big plays itself and turns methodical drives into a relative easy endeavors.

If we’re going to play off - and I get why you would want to - you cannot play these same simple coverages. They need to mix coverages, disguise looks, run zone blitzes and not just allow a QB to do whatever they want because we’re afraid of a pick play.

But we've picked a play. Now the onus is on the players to execute. It might be simple but most good defenses are simple because your players don't have to noodle down to focus on which assignment they have to carry out. Just run, cover and hit something. Rinse. Repeat.

2 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

It doesn't. A lot of underneath stuff but nothing game breaking.

Nearly all of our big plays have been given up in soft coverage. Wilson threw all of his deep TD passes against soft coverage. Goff has 5 wide open receivers on deep passes that would have gone for TDs that he missed. Blaine Gabbert threw all over our defense. All of the plays in the link in the OP were exploiting soft coverage on that side of the field.

14 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

But we've picked a play. Now the onus is on the players to execute. It might be simple but most good defenses are simple because your players don't have to noodle down to focus on which assignment they have to carry out. Just run, cover and hit something. Rinse. Repeat.

Asking them to play soft no-disguise coverage is asking them to do something that no defense can do effectively against good passing teams, though. Any good coach or good QB is going to throw all over this defense if they continue to play off when the threat of pick play comes. And we’re going to be playing a lot of them coming up in a week. Andy Reid and Alex Smith, Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, Tod Haley and Ben Roethlisberger (now that they have the film). These guys are gonna eat our lunch if we don’t run something different to confuse them or go with what got us here and make them beat us with pick plays.

Now I will say this - showing our hand by busting out the special coverages in a game against the 49ers after we already locked up the 3 seed would have been dumb. Very, very little was to gain at that point. It’s why Coughlin didn’t break out the Super Bowl gameplan in the 2007 week 17 showdown with the Pats. So maybe they do have something up their sleeves. But we need to break out something or one of these teams is sending us home.

Archived