FA Thread 2018

barnaby8787

Just to play the other side (not saying this should be our plan at all). But 3/4 teams left in the playoffs (assuming Minnesota wins) don’t have a good/great QB. Minnesota (Keenum), Jacksonville (Bortles) and Philadelphia (Foles). Now I know Foles didn’t play all year but he did just win a playoff game. It’s not totally ridiculous to think we attack FA with going hard at big time positions and don’t sign that 15-30mill QB or spend the 6th pick on a QB. 

• Like 1

I'd add Foles as well if he looks good enough in this matchup. I wanted Anthony Barr so bad. 

It's true, we don't have to have a big name at QB to win. Just someone good enough to win with when you have a surrounding good enough. Hopefully we can find our Franchise guy this offseason. This is a pretty good offseason for RBs and we can sign an upgrade at center. I really believe if we spread the money correctly, we're going to compete sooner than expected.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Just to play the other side (not saying this should be our plan at all). But 3/4 teams left in the playoffs (assuming Minnesota wins) don’t have a good/great QB. Minnesota (Keenum), Jacksonville (Bortles) and Philadelphia (Foles). Now I know Foles didn’t play all year but he did just win a playoff game. It’s not totally ridiculous to think we attack FA with going hard at big time positions and don’t sign that 15-30mill QB or spend the 6th pick on a QB. 

Yea but how many times have Foles, Keenum, and Bortles been in the playoffs? No one will argue that you can make it into the playoffs with a QB like that but it's so few and far between that you need to find a consistent QB to have a good shot at making a Super Bowl.

Playoffs need to be the goal because unless you have an elite QB you'll likely need multiple appearances over a career to get 1 SB. Not too many fluky QBs getting to the big dance.

10 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Yea but how many times have Foles, Keenum, and Bortles been in the playoffs? No one will argue that you can make it into the playoffs with a QB like that but it's so few and far between that you need to find a consistent QB to have a good shot at making a Super Bowl.

Playoffs need to be the goal because unless you have an elite QB you'll likely need multiple appearances over a career to get 1 SB. Not too many fluky QBs getting to the big dance.

I’m not saying this is the correct way to attack the offseason, but it’s possible. It’s also mentioning that we can’t build this team in 1 year. If what we can get is good and great players in other areas instead of a QB this offseason, than so be it. Get 1 next offseason or the year after.

16 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Kind of interesting, but 3/4 of the teams left don't have top 10 RB's as well (potentially all four depending on where people stand with Fournette).  The three you listed are getting where they are with their great D's.

46 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Kind of interesting, but 3/4 of the teams left don't have top 10 RB's as well (potentially all four depending on where people stand with Fournette).  The three you listed are getting where they are with their great D's.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Eagles because they basically had the #1 seed locked up when Wentz was playing at an MVP level but yes the Jags and Vikings are playing other worldly.

So while I still would love to see Kirk Cousins sign with the Jets, I have no problem with the Jets going for Sam Bradford/Teddy Bridgewater on a 1 year deal, drafting a QB on day 2 (Mason Rudolph, Luke Falk, Tanner Lee), and go full blown competition again. I get that we all want the Jets to find a QB solution immediately, but these playoffs just reassert my belief that great teams don't have to invest enormous resources into the QB position; now more so than ever, teams are able to find QBs in free agency and later in the draft.

I get wanting to have a good team and build around a QB but there are 7 superbowl winning QB's in the NFL still playing right now.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Eli, Wilson, Flacco (that's it).  Unless you have light out defenses like Eli and Flacco had and Wilson when he was winning then you aren't going to be winning many superbowls with the like of Nick Foles and Sam Bradford or a guy like Keenum (who was basically saved by an all time boneheaded defensive play).  These guys are typically good enough to make the playoffs with a great supporting cast but looking at the list you can see how few of them actually are good enough to win it all.  I don't want another AFC championship run and fall short because of mediocre QB play.  I want to know that when my QB drops back he can make the big play.  We were a few bonehead coaching (PIT) and tackling plays (NO) from Brady, Brees, Ben yet again but because we see Bortles and Keenum we should change course, that's crazy talk.

These guys just don't get it done consistently.  MIN has a chance because of their defense as does JAC but the Jets have nothing close to either one of those defenses.  The way to win consistently is to have a great QB so why are we going to continue to try and be the 2009-2010 Jet teams or the 2000 Ravens and win by holding teams to 15 points or less.  Why not look for the next great QB like Rosen or Mayfield and do what we can to land them so we can finally have some stability at the position.  

You continue the line of thinking that we can put enough around a mediocre QB then you will likely continue to fall short of the ultimate goal of a Superbowl.  You will get your Flacco's and your Eli types winning it all it happens occasionally but you will never be consistent championship players until you get a great QB.  Enough is enough of the retreads, get a franchise QB and then build around them.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

I get wanting to have a good team and build around a QB but there are 7 superbowl winning QB's in the NFL still playing right now.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, Eli, Wilson, Flacco (that's it).  Unless you have light out defenses like Eli and Flacco had and Wilson when he was winning then you aren't going to be winning many superbowls with the like of Nick Foles and Sam Bradford or a guy like Keenum (who was basically saved by an all time boneheaded defensive play).  These guys are typically good enough to make the playoffs with a great supporting cast but looking at the list you can see how few of them actually are good enough to win it all.  I don't want another AFC championship run and fall short because of mediocre QB play.  I want to know that when my QB drops back he can make the big play.  We were a few bonehead coaching (PIT) and tackling plays (NO) from Brady, Brees, Ben yet again but because we see Bortles and Keenum we should change course, that's crazy talk.

These guys just don't get it done consistently.  MIN has a chance because of their defense as does JAC but the Jets have nothing close to either one of those defenses.  The way to win consistently is to have a great QB so why are we going to continue to try and be the 2009-2010 Jet teams or the 2000 Ravens and win by holding teams to 15 points or less.  Why not look for the next great QB like Rosen or Mayfield and do what we can to land them so we can finally have some stability at the position.  

You continue the line of thinking that we can put enough around a mediocre QB then you will likely continue to fall short of the ultimate goal of a Superbowl.  You will get your Flacco's and your Eli types winning it all it happens occasionally but you will never be consistent championship players until you get a great QB.  Enough is enough of the retreads, get a franchise QB and then build around them.

This. I don’t understand how so many on this board wanted to pay Cousins whatever he wants/draft any QB at 6 to going back to the Bowles/Rex philosophy of trying to win games 10-6 with a journeyman and draft another developmental guy who will amount to nothing. This defense isn’t even remotely close to the level of Jax or Minn. This staff doesn’t have 3 more offseasons to get there.

Get the QB, build around him this time. And by build around him I mean shore up the line and get a real RB/weapons. Not worry about getting interior linebackers and safeties

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

This. I don’t understand how so many on this board wanted to pay Cousins whatever he wants/draft any QB at 6 to going back to the Bowles/Rex philosophy of trying to win games 10-6 with a journeyman and draft another developmental guy who will amount to nothing. This defense isn’t even remotely close to the level of Jax or Minn. This staff doesn’t have 3 more offseasons to get there.

Get the QB, build around him this time. And by build around him I mean shore up the line and get a real RB/weapons. Not worry about getting interior linebackers and safeties

I actually think we have enough at WR and TE assuming we bring back ASJ or grab another guy like Burton to pair with a healthy Leggett and Enunwa is 100%.  The only position of need is really another RB so McGuire can do more 3rd down stuff.  There will be plenty in the mid rounds that fit the criteria so I don't see that as a problem.

The problem is what QB or QB's are going to be great and how do we get them.  I think there could be 4 potentially good to great QB's in this class (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Jackson)

Jackson is obviously different but none the less with the right coaching and scheme he can be extremely successful and dangerous.  I prefer Mayfield or Rosen first but Jackson would be a good fall back option.  We need to jump DEN to #4 and grab the one who falls.

I expect CLE to take Darnold.  If NYG go LT or RB (I really hope they do) then we very well could have our pick of Mayfield or Rosen at #4.  If INDY wants out of 3 then go to three.  Mayfield or Rosen very well could be the next great QB.  If NYG go Rosen then we need to make sure we secure Mayfield before DEN does.

After that we have tons of money to grab Norwell and Richberg (my top 2 targets in FA) and if we do nothing else then we at least have an offensive foundation built around a potentially great young QB, we protected him with a great OL with those FA additions, and added weapons to ease the pressure with another RB and we can all be excited about the future.

We can obviously improve the defense as well since we'll have so much money but just by adding to the offense we set up a bright future for hopefully our franchise QB.

16 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Any chance Ezekial Ansah makes it to FA? Now that Matt Patricia is going to be HC of DET, I think it's less likely. But there are some DET fans that are mocking him to leave via FA. I would take him in a heart beat. 

Don't want him personally, production is too up and down, 29years old and is more Of a pure 43 DE.

On 14/01/2018 at 6:14 PM, Bobby816 said:

I am not against avoiding the big-money move for Cousins. In fact, I don't want that move to happen at all. But if we don't draft a QB at 8 overall, it HAS to be because Barkley or Chubb is sitting there at 6. No other reason to pass on a QB. AND, if we do that, I hope we have a plan for QB in Round 2 (or maybe use the two 2nd's to move back into Round 1). 

My biggest fear right now is that we're going to hire Todd Haley, who is going to go with Hackenberg because he thinks he can turn him into the next Big Ben.

FML

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am not against avoiding the big-money move for Cousins. In fact, I don't want that move to happen at all. But if we don't draft a QB at 8 overall, it HAS to be because Barkley or Chubb is sitting there at 6. No other reason to pass on a QB. AND, if we do that, I hope we have a plan for QB in Round 2 (or maybe use the two 2nd's to move back into Round 1). 

My biggest fear right now is that we're going to hire Todd Haley, who is going to go with Hackenberg because he thinks he can turn him into the next Big Ben.

FML

I'd be absolutely floored if we went with Hack.

Pass rush: Aaron Lynch- would be awesome at OLBer in the Jets scheme and, really shined in the Harbaugh 3-4.

Jeremiah Attaochu - Another that excelled in the 3-4 OLBer position before being switched to the 4-3 DE.

Both of these guys' would be a huge,monster upgrade over what is in the chicken coup right now. They both had sub 1.6 10 yard splits at the combine. With Aarons' size he could easily go to a 4-3 DE making him and the D more versatile. Just line him up at the 9 and let him rip on passing downs. Remember Leo can play inside when needed, he did it in college.