Jets extend both Maccagnan, Bowles

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

You can use hindsight for literally every team. If you are going to play with hindsight you'd need to assume all other teams know what those players will become which would put that player out of reach for us. You said Stewart over Kamara. Kamara went before our original 3rd round pick and then we traded down and got Stewart so I don't think you can have an issue with Stewart over Kamara.

Kareem Hunt was on the board still.

4 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

You can use hindsight for literally every team. If you are going to play with hindsight you'd need to assume all other teams know what those players will become which would put that player out of reach for us. You said Stewart over Kamara. Kamara went before our original 3rd round pick and then we traded down and got Stewart so I don't think you can have an issue with Stewart over Kamara.

That was just an example. The thing is missing certain players that can contribute right away and make an impact for players that are barely getting snaps on a 5 win team. Those are the things that drive me crazy about Macc. I'm not saying he should have been fired or anything like that, I'm just picking the one thing that I see as his biggest problem so far. He comes close and miss on some big picks in positions we need. 

Just now, rickyt31 said:

That was just an example. The thing is missing certain players that can contribute right away and make an impact for players that are barely getting snaps on a 5 win team. Those are the things that drive me crazy about Macc. I'm not saying he should have been fired or anything like that, I'm just picking the one thing that I see as his biggest problem so far. He comes close and miss on some big picks in positions we need. 

But again you can make that case for a lot of teams. Stewart's role should be expanded this coming season as should Hansen's and then we'll look back a potentially love the picks.

I think the point is, that a Macc isn’t getting difference makers. He’s had 3 drafts and 2 picks at 6, yet we still have no great player with pretty much 6 high picks (1st and 2nd Rounders). We have Leo (who’s been disappointing this year), D. Smith (who is useless bc of injury), Lee (who hasn’t played like a 1st Rounder yet), Hack (still hasn’t even seen a snap), Adams (solid rookie year but nothing special) and Maye (another solid guy but nothing special).

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think the point is, that a Macc isn’t getting difference makers. He’s had 3 drafts and 2 picks at 6, yet we still have no great player with pretty much 6 high picks (1st and 2nd Rounders). We have Leo (who’s been disappointing this year), D. Smith (who is useless bc of injury), Lee (who hasn’t played like a 1st Rounder yet), Hack (still hasn’t even seen a snap), Adams (solid rookie year but nothing special) and Maye (another solid guy but nothing special).

Thank you.

I really like Maye & Adams, so I won't say much about them. Macc has been really close, but missed on the home run hits on offense.  Players like Elflein and Hunt are great examples. I'm just hoping he can draft a game changer on offense we build around.

26 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

Apparently Elflein was indeed a stud this year

I need Macc to truthfully answer why he traded out of that pick to pick up an extra 7th rounder

Been waiting on that answer since the second it happened

PFF has him Rated the 31st ranked Center with a Poor grade for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Thank you.

I really like Maye & Adams, so I won't say much about them. Macc has been really close, but missed on the home run hits on offense.  Players like Elflein and Hunt are great examples. I'm just hoping he can draft a game changer on offense we build around.

This is sort of how I feel. I've been happy with Macc but my main criticizing of him is that he hasn't hit on an elite talent despite having top 10 picks. Adams and Williams look like they are going to above average players. This team is sorely missing elite talent. 

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This is sort of how I feel. I've been happy with Macc but my main criticizing of him is that he hasn't hit on an elite talent despite having top 10 picks. Adams and Williams look like they are going to above average players. This team is sorely missing elite talent. 

Beyond hitting an elite players, Mac has not hit on a single impact player beyond round 2 and Maye is the only 2nd rounder.  Don't get me wrong, guys like Jenkins, McGuire, etc. are nice complimentary players, but the good GM's find starters late that can make an impact.  

6 hours ago, SDotNova said:

I think there are certain types of players in every draft:

Special Players - These are considered special talents because they generally have a high floor and a high upside. If you find one of these regardless of position you should pull the trigger. 

Premier Position Players - QB, LT, Pass Rusher, CB these are the big 4 positions that cost a ton in FA and rarely leave their drafted team. They are usually high risk/high reward players. 

Play Makers - WR, RB, TE these are usually luxury picks in regards to the top 10. Note the difference between a special talents like AJ Green/Julio/Megatron

Supporting Players - LB, S, G, C, DT Not typically positions you look to draft in the top 10.

That's how I sort of look at prospects. I do think having Leonard and Adams fall into our laps fell under that first category. They were arguably considered the best players in the draft and were generally considered safe picks. I think that is why I don't mind the selections, they are still young but both look to be trending in the right direction. I'm fine adding players like that to our roster especially how after how poorly we drafted the past decade. We need good players that will be here for that long haul, missing on 1st round talent can leave a team barren. I think we can address CB in FA this year, with our money it would be silly not to. QB could be addressed either way but we should have hope for next season come the end of day 1 of the draft. Pass Rusher is one position I'm not sure we'll be able to address in FA so depending on how we handle QB we could have the option to double dip with 2 of our first 4 picks. That leaves us with LT, having Beachum under contract for this season leads me to believe we will play him this season (we could potentially have a stop gap QB to bridge us until the rookie starts) so if he plays well we sign him long term or we look for our answer for LT in FA or top of the draft next year. That will depend on how we handle QB because we could either have cap space if we draft a QB or we may have draft picks if we sign a QB in FA. Either way it looks like LT will be a position that is deferred to next offseason. 

16 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

When it comes to Macc, it's just his draft picks that drives me crazy. Hack over Dak, Stewart over Kamara, and others. No telling what we've would have been like if we made those picks. 

He drives me crazy also with his draft picks. I push so hard for him to draft Dalvin Cook, in his first three games this year Cook had 354 yards rushing for a 4.8 YPR and two TD's, plus one TD in pass reception. He only played three games before he got hurt. We took Maye who has played better than Adams  in his first year, but he was not the playmaker we needed. We have got next to nothing out of Mac offensive draft picks. That has to chance this year. Like Bobby said Leo Williams has not live up to expectations, great run stopper but has only two sacks for the entire year. This years draft when it is Mac turn to pick at the #7 pick (if that is were we pick) I will be sweating bullets because you never know what Mac is going to do. The one thing we know for sure after this offseason, Mac is going to be a genius or a Buffoon.

13 hours ago, Bianconero said:

Apparently Elflein was indeed a stud this year

I need Macc to truthfully answer why he traded out of that pick to pick up an extra 7th rounder

Been waiting on that answer since the second it happened

Dude Elfiein wasn't the only guy he passed nor were we the only team to pass on him nor should he be defined by Elflein.

He could have stayed put and picked anyone else.

17 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

When it comes to Macc, it's just his draft picks that drives me crazy. Hack over Dak, Stewart over Kamara, and others. No telling what we've would have been like if we made those picks. 

Dak has shown his true colors this season, not someone worth losing sleep over. Kamara was someone he eye'd but overall you can't be mad about missing on him when in reality there's always ample opportunity to find a running back almost every year.

Archived