25 members have voted

1. 1. should the niners re-sign Hyde?

• heck no he sucks
    • yes, as long as it doesn't cost too much
    • No he doesn't suck but we can draft another back who's better
    • Yes sign him! he's a major part of our offense moving forward

I'm trying to understand why there is so much disdain for Carlos on this thread

let me clarify this statement:

We all know Carlos will be a free agent after Sunday. He as amassed 1190 yds from scrimmage and 6 TDs. Basically, with the exception of Jimmy G he has been the brightest part of our offense this season. 

He has been much quicker and seems to really fit the zone blocking scheme also he believes in the team going forward and really wants to come back.

so why are there so many folks on here with the "he can go" mentality as if he's trash?

I haven't seem many folks in favor of resigning him moreover, there are many who want to let him walk and and waste the first pick we have on drafting Barkley ( who I think is a great player) when we have so many other glaring needs this offseason.

Please, help me understand

I agree - at least to an extent. Playing behind an o-line that is arguably right down there with the worst in the league and without a passing game to speak of most of the year he is still rated 14th in the league in rushing and 6th (I think) among running backs for receptions. That's not great, nor is it anywhere near awful. I think he's a decent running back. But not good enough to demand big bucks on the open marrket.  I'd be happy to re-sign him if the price is right.

My feeling is that this regime wants to rid itself of Baalke era guys unless they are clearly important parts of our future. I'm not sure Hyde qualifies as that.  So if I'm betting, I'm betting that we let him go.  My only hesitation is that we know nothing about Williams (or maybe we know he did not look good in what little we saw of him) and Breida is still a 190 pound back.  So I think we let him go IF we sign a comparble replacement or draft a high potential rookie.  I don't think we just go with Williams/Breida.

I think we got really spoiled with Gore.  Reasoning?  Consistency.  Gore was not a "break through the line and he's gone for a touchdown" guy, but he consistently kept moving forward and picked up an extra 2 or 3 yards on dang nearly every play.  

Hyde flashes here and there.  I just don't see that hunger for the extra yardage from him, though.  And, when he's not having a good game, he's really not having a good game.  

All that said, it's really hard to judge what's really going on with our offensive line.  So hard, I can't even decide what to pick on the poll yet.  

As I've said before, if we were to re-sign Carlos, we would already have done so. It was already mentioned, but he's not good in the outside zone scheme. I discussed it in another thread. He's not decisive enough. Even in his good runs, he wastes many more steps than a good zone runner would. He's decent in inside zones, but I think he'd be better still in a man scheme. He's a good player, but not so good that Kyle would want to change his running scheme for him. So I think he leaves in free agency, and we probably sign a veteran who fits the scheme. Alfred Morris will be a free agent, and he's a Shanahan guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him. Or, I don't know... Frank Gore.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Are you talking about in reality? Because in my head, he, Jimmy G, allen Robinson, Demarcus Lawrence and Trumaine Johnson have already signed with us. 

And already won next year's Superbowl. Do I have a hot girlfriend in your head? If so, make room, I'm coming in.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Are you talking about in reality? Because in my head, he, Jimmy G, allen Robinson, Demarcus Lawrence and Trumaine Johnson have already signed with us. 

Great.  Can you please take over as GM just long enought to make this happen?

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:05 PM, Pandomonium said:

I'm trying to understand why there is so much disdain for Carlos on this thread

let me clarify this statement:

We all know Carlos will be a free agent after Sunday. He as amassed 1190 yds from scrimmage and 6 TDs. Basically, with the exception of Jimmy G he has been the brightest part of our offense this season. 

He has been much quicker and seems to really fit the zone blocking scheme also he believes in the team going forward and really wants to come back.

so why are there so many folks on here with the "he can go" mentality as if he's trash?

I haven't seem many folks in favor of resigning him moreover, there are many who want to let him walk and and waste the first pick we have on drafting Barkley ( who I think is a great player) when we have so many other glaring needs this offseason.

Please, help me understand

Well its really a simple matter of fit. I think in the right scheme, Hyde could be one of the better RBs in the league. I really liked him as a prospect. I thought he had a insane combo of size, power and escapbility that was unique. I really thought the Monday Night game against the Vikes was going to be his coming out party. He displayed a little bit of all his best attributes as a runner and he looked like he was toying with that defense at times. I just don't believe his style of preferred running meshes well with Shanny's scheme. He's a very talented player so he adapted to the scheme and left his mark, despite a porous O-Line. But if we're going by pure fit for his skill-set, he should be playing in a scheme like Pittsburgh or Seattle's. A man Power-based blocking scheme or any scheme that would allow him attack the LOS downhill and let him use his ability to make ppl miss is where he should go and thrive.

20 hours ago, Forge said:

giphy.gif

As crazy as it sounds, Bell would look much like Hyde in this scheme. I think Bell and Hyde are very similar as runners, just not production. A outside zone scheme wouldn't let Bell use his natural inclination to prod and poke at the LOS and find creases. Shanny scheme is more for the north/south runners. One cut and downhill. For as gifted of a runner as Bell is, he dances far too much to be successful in a zone-blocking scheme honestly.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

As crazy as it sounds, Bell would look much like Hyde in this scheme. I think Bell and Hyde are very similar as runners, just not production. A outside zone scheme wouldn't let Bell use his natural inclination to prod and poke at the LOS and find creases. Shanny scheme is more for the north/south runners. One cut and downhill. For as gifted of a runner as Bell is, he dances far too much to be successful in a zone-blocking scheme honestly.

I think Bell would need a lot more help from the OL on those stretch plays than even Hyde needs, just in order to stay clean until he finds the hole. But if he could get to that hole, I feel he'd hit it a lot harder and cleaner than Hyde can and would break a lot more runs.

Archived