Eagles 2014 1st Round Pick Marcus Smith CUT

Scalamania

wth. I understand cutting guys to give younger guys reps but to get a 7th for Barbe, why not try for a pick for Smith III? I don't know his work ethic but he wasn't a 4-3 fit. He'll go to the Cards/Jets, I wouldn't be surprised if he went Washington. 

4 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

wth. I understand cutting guys to give younger guys reps but to get a 7th for Barbe, why not try for a pick for Smith III? I don't know his work ethic but he wasn't a 4-3 fit. He'll go to the Cards/Jets, I wouldn't be surprised if he went Washington. 

Barbre has some value. He has shown he can fill in when necessary and at multiple positions at that.  The Broncos likely didn't want to risk him getting scooped up by someone higher on the waiver chain.   On the other hand, with Marcus Smith, there likely isn't a single team out there that doesn't think he'd clear waivers.

13 minutes ago, BLick12 said:

Barbre has some value. He has shown he can fill in when necessary and at multiple positions at that.  The Broncos likely didn't want to risk him getting scooped up by someone higher on the waiver chain.   On the other hand, with Marcus Smith, there likely isn't a single team out there that doesn't think he'd clear waivers.

Pass rushers are a premium position as well, not saying he's supplied ample tape to warrant a trade. More curious if Howie this off season was hitting the phones trying to move him. We heard rumors of others being moved, didn't see anything regarding Smith. 

11 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

So, Alex McCalister making the team?

I think he's still got an uphill climb I can't see us holding onto more than 4 DEs  

Barnett

Graham

Long

he'll need to outplay Means and maybe be close enough to Curry, I suggest he jump on some STs to push another position into doubt. 

What's Means PS status? 

I'm gonna guess Howie tried to move him. But he's been so awful I doubt anyone would trade for that. I mean hell, even someone like Barbre got a conditional 7th round pick? And he's worth tons more than Smith to any roster.

But now Smith will go to New England and have a Hall of Fame career.

Howie ringing other GM's

Howie: "Hey broseph, have I got a premium pass rusher for you, and all I want in return is a conditional 7th round pick."

GM: "Who is it mammacita?"

Howie: "Marcus Smith III"

GM: "Never call me again"

Pretty much how it went down...

If we're being honest with ourselves, Steven Means deserved his playing time last year anyway.  Dude thoroughly outplayed Smith in the preseason. Felt like he just got the nod for bieng a former first rounder, the Eagles  wanted to give Smith every chance they could to see if he could make something of himself.

Archived