Packers Extend C Corey Linsley

ChaRisMa

6 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

this means GB can cut him in 20' and save 8.5m right? 

Correct.  And they can cut him after 2018, and save $4.5M.  It's essentially a two year deal with a pair of options.  I'd venture a guess to say he doesn't see that $10.5M cap hit in 2020.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:
9 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

this means GB can cut him in 20' and save 8.5m right? 

Correct.  And they can cut him after 2018, and save $4.5M.  It's essentially a two year deal with a pair of options.  I'd venture a guess to say he doesn't see that $10.5M cap hit in 2020.

Looks about right.  That might be the way things go in the future for contracts.  Need to have an out if needed, or an option to extend and reduce the cap number at the tail end of the contract.   THings will potentially reset themselves when GB eventually has a starting QB making rookie salary.  Hope that is a long ways off

14 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If the contracts were the same, would Packers be better off with Tretter or Linsley at Center going forward ?

They each have their pro's and cons - but who would you take if given the choice ?

Tretter is the better player

I've always felt Tretter was the better center of the two and was disappointed to see we did not offer him the contract that he got from the Browns. It was an absolute bargain.

Lock up that bargain contract and trade Linsley. He was always going to get the larger deal.

Unfortunately it didnt shake out that way.

Tretter might be the better player but he had problems staying healthy with us.  I don't know if he played in all 16 games with Cleveland this year but Corey was one of the few starters we had that didn't miss a game all year.

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

Tretter might be the better player but he had problems staying healthy with us.  I don't know if he played in all 16 games with Cleveland this year but Corey was one of the few starters we had that didn't miss a game all year.

the only reason tretter got the job was Linsley had a serious hamstring injury which kept him out the first 6? ish weeks.  Then Tretter got hurt late and we went back to Corey.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the only reason tretter got the job was Linsley had a serious hamstring injury which kept him out the first 6? ish weeks.  Then Tretter got hurt late and we went back to Corey.

The only reason Linsley got the job was because Tretter hurt his knee. It works both ways. Both were just as injury prone as each other.

Just now, Chili said:

The only reason Linsley got the job was because Tretter hurt his knee. It works both ways. Both were just as injury prone as each other.

yes.  Tretter is undoubtedly injury prone.  Linsley had a few things too, so was just setting the record that he's missed a few games in his career as well.

Tretter was decidedly more injury prone though, having missed his entire rookie season and half of two other seasons.

17 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I always felt that Linsley was a bit stronger, while Tretter was more versatile. I thought they'd go with Tretter (could have used him this last year) but they are both starter quality.

I expect GB would have went with Tretter over Linsley had Tretter been able to stay on the field during his time in GB. 

18 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If the contracts were the same, would Packers be better off with Tretter or Linsley at Center going forward ?

They each have their pro's and cons - but who would you take if given the choice ?

Tretter was the better athlete.  

Linsley is the better football player.  

I think GB made the right choice...unless the choice could have been keeping both and putting Tretter at RG.

Archived