Gentlemen, I Think Its Time...Consider Baker Mayfield At #1

MistaBohmbastic

Sorry if there's already a post on this, but if there is I must have skimmed over it. I did check, I swear.

Anyways, I truly believe that Baker needs to be considered with that top pick for a number of reasons.

Let's consider his competition first off - Josh Rosen, and Sam Darnold (Because I don't want to get into Josh Allen - but if someone really wants me to explain why Allen is inferior, I can)

Rosen is sort of in between Baker and Sam when it comes to balancing Pro-readiness, and potential. I think between Darnold and Rosen, it's Josh who could come in and have the more immediate impact. However, both guys are so incredibly inconsistent. That's a problem. In fact, the inconsistencies from both players really aren't all that far off from our own DeShone Kizer. Try to dispute it all you want, I'll point out how both of this year's prospects are more heralded, but they are, in reality, not all that much more impressive than Kizer at this stage in their college careers.

Meanwhile, inconsistency is not something we've seen from Mr. Mayfield. The kid has handled every bit of adversity thrown his way with exceptional ability. Go ahead and point out the Iowa State game if you'd like. I'll point you to the Oklahoma defense, which did very little to give Baker any comfort in the game.

His accuracy has been remarkable, his decision-making, vision, poise, mobility and leadership are all top tier. 

So what's the big knock that leaves people not even considering him over the competition? Dude told opposing players who refused to shake his hand to suck it? He's too short? Oh please. His team rallies around him, he's an incredible person. Check out the stories from his former teammates. Dede Westbrook came out recently speaking to who Baker was as a teammate. This guy exemplifies leadership to the fullest.

I'm not going to try to convince you that Baker is THE guy. My only point behind this post is, if we're taking a QB at #1, Mayfield has warranted consideration. 

I'm looking forward to seeing him tested in these playoffs. I think it will be a big indication of how things play out. I also love that he'll be participating in the senior bowl. The guy does not shy away from a challenge, and the Browns will have the chance to coach him up first hand.

Please, give him a look.

After watching him play last night, Darnold reminds me a lot of Kizer in their trajectory. Both were considered #1 overall picks because of great 2nd years and struggled mightily with turnovers and inconsistency the next year. Both have/had people saying they should go back another year but Kizer came out and look what happened. They are both in the same situation so I dont think you can draft Darnold and expect him to come in from Day 1 and be the starter. Like Kizer, he still needs a year to learn.

Also, the thing about Darnold that jumped out to me last night was his wind up. He has a very very long release which as we saw leads to a lot of fumbles and strip sacks. His delivery is super goofy.

As far as as Josh Allen goes I will say it again and again. He is Paxton Lynch. Stud at a small school, all of the physical gifts with size and arm talent but lacks a lot in terms of accuracy and decision making. No...thank....you. In the 20% chance Allen isnt a project bust, I see him as a carbon copy of Joe Flacco.

Lastly, Mayfield IS THE ANSWER. He checks all of the boxes. He doesnt have destination preference like Rosen, he is a better pocket passer than Darnold and his ability to read defenses and throw accurately demolishes Allen. Outside of his measurables being Tyrod Taylor---Mayfield is clearly without question the best QB in this draft who can start day 1.

Sorry my man you completely lost me at Rosen and Darnold are not far off from Kizer. They’re far superior as prospects. 

If we drafted Mayfield I’d be ok with it. I think he can be an at least decent starter. Potentially more. I still got Rosen Darnold over him. 

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Sorry my man you completely lost me at Rosen and Darnold are not far off from Kizer. They’re far superior as prospects. 

If we drafted Mayfield I’d be ok with it. I think he can be an at least decent starter. Potentially more. I still got Rosen Darnold over him. 

Cross Rosen off the list right now-- Dorsey has said to be one of 3 GMs who said he doesnt like him last year plus Rosen has taken his media shots at the Browns. Not going to happen. Its essentially down to Mayfield or Darnold. 

Dorsey has also shown he doesnt care about size multiple times--He loved Chase Daniels and also went out of his way to cite Russel Wilson.

I am going to go out on a limb with a BOLD prediction. Here it is: The Browns trade the #1 pick to the Giants and they swap spots just like Eli Manning/Phillip Rivers. The Giants get Rosen because of the talk that he doesnt want to play in a bad situation/franchise. The Browns with the Giants pick at #2 take Baker Mayfield. Sam Darnold returns to school.

WATCH IT HAPPE AND SAVE THIS POST!!

I will say, if Baker goes out there and slays some dragons, kicking Georgia and Bamas rear-ends, it would be awfully difficult to ignore him at one. Dorsey and Hue would have some serious explaining to do to take Rosen or, God help us, Josh Allen at that pick instead. 

1 minute ago, Fatgerman said:

Think of it though, going from walk-on to the number one overall pick in the draft. Wow. I wonder if thats ever happened before.

He wont go #1 just because of his size. Right now all draft guru people still have him as a just a 1st round prospect going to a team like Denver or Arizona outside the top 5.

You cant take a QB that short #1 despite how good he is because if he flops it looks extremely bad. 

Thats why Im saying trade with the Giants, swap picks and take him #2 overall and let the Giants take Rosen.

16 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Browns fans fall for the flare every year. Hope the new FO doesn't make the same mistake. If Mayfield is the Browns pick then they might as well just add his name to the Jersey with all the failed QBs on it.

Browns fans love flash and stories.

Its still Rosen #1 for me. If he goes to the Giants he will win a super bowl in 4 years.

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Browns fans love flash and stories.

Its still Rosen #1 for me. If he goes to the Giants he will win a super bowl in 4 years.

I like Rosen but I don't think you fully understand how talent devoid that team is right now. They are maybe even worse off than the Browns. Eli, Odell and Landon are about the only guys worth a darn on that team. Old DBs and a highly overrated DL with Harrison, Vernon and a declining JPP.  They are more than 4 years from a Super Bowl even if they traded for Brady.

25 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Browns fans fall for the flare every year. Hope the new FO doesn't make the same mistake. If Mayfield is the Browns pick then they might as well just add his name to the Jersey with all the failed QBs on it.

thats pretty condescending. Elaborate on the flaws in Bakers game. Other than he is short and had a run in with the law, what are your issues with his actual play?

Archived