Gentlemen, I Think Its Time...Consider Baker Mayfield At #1

MistaBohmbastic

21 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I, for one, have liked Mayfield all along. Now, I’m not going to lie to you all. I don’t study tapes, I don’t read scouting reports. But I do read things. 

Now, I have heard that Mayfield is the next Drew Brees. I have heard his touted as in the same league as Russell Wilson.  He has leadership skills. He’s a competitor. He works hard.  I don’t know about you guys, but if we could get Drew Brees or Russell Wilson, gee, I think I’d take that no matter where we pick him, right? 

Now I know some of you all are not big Benjamin Allbright fans, and that’s cool. After the game last night, and people saw Darnold’s performance, he tweeted out that the Ohio State defense is the same one that Mayfield lit up with (and I’m paraphrasing- but it could be looked up) like over 300 yards, 3 TDs, and a 77% rate. I’ll look up the exact tweet and post it. 

Just putting that out there for consideration. 

FWIW: 

Baker Mayfield put 386 yards and 3 TDs on this same defense (on 77% comp pct), with no turnovers earlier this year...

It was no even close to the same defense from early in the year to what they have been doing the last several weeks. You can pretend if it makes you feel better about Mayfield but the defense in the USC game was far superior to what was on the field the first few weeks of the season.

2 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Oh and can we get off this Rosen doesn’t want to play for the Browns crap. He never said that. 

Again remember this time last year when Garrett didn’t want to to the Browns?

Yes he most clearly said it. For once, the guy who is being alleged to want to stay away from the Browns is not pretending otherwise. 

You're a solid poster, but this is cognitive dissonance at its finest; Rosen practically spelled it out. What aren't you understanding? 

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yes he most clearly said it. For once, the guy who is being alleged to want to stay away from the Browns is not pretending otherwise. 

You're a solid poster, but this is cognitive dissonance at its finest; Rosen practically spelled it out. What aren't you understanding? 

Where does he clearly say specifically he doesn’t want to play for the Browns?  If someone interprets it that way I believe it’s the woe is me Browns fan interpretation. 

Again last year Garrett SPECIFICALLY said he didn’t want to play for a cold weather team. He SPECIFICALLY asked the Cowboys to move up for him. Any guess as to how it turned out? Cognitive dissonance, what the heck?

9 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah the Myles Garrett thing was blown way out of context. He was clearly having fun and specifically mentioned one team(clearly in no position to get him even) he wanted to play for which was his favorite team the Cowboys. God for big kids have fun. I know if I were in his position and say the Atlanta Falcons had the 1st pick I would still be hoping and possible joking that I would prefer to play for the Browns.

Josh Rosen's comments were clearly directed at the Browns and clearly spelled out that he has no desire to play here.

1 minute ago, Bonanza23 said:

Where does he clearly say specifically he doesn’t want to play for the Browns?  If someone interprets it that way I believe it’s the woe is me Browns fan interpretation. 

Again last year Garrett SPECIFICALLY said he didn’t want to play for a cold weather team. He SPECIFICALLY asked the Cowboys to move up for him. Any guess as to how it turned out? Cognitive dissonance, what the heck?

Oh thats right he was specifically pointing out that he didn't want to play for the Giants, Cold, Broncos or Buccaneers at the top of the draft when he said he would prefer not to play for the wrong team at the top of the draft.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

SIGH......

And so it begins....

I already can't stomach it really b/c I know this is where this whole thing is heading.

Years later we'll realize how terrible it was that Dorsey told Tony Pauline that he'd "stay away" from Rosen thereby making us forfeit the number 1 QB prospect after we earned it through suffering.

The smiles on Browns fans faces when we draft Baker Mayfield and pass on Rosen and Darnold will only be matched in extremity by the emotion of sickness within me when I hear Mayfield's name announced, Tony Grossi, & Goldhammer celebrate w/ joy, shortly after I will puke....

I'd rather trade down both picks a few spots....pick up major hauls for the future and Select Bradley Chubb with our first pick and Saquon Barkley with our 2nd pick.

Rosen/Darnold & Chubb//Barkley/Fitzpatrick OR Trade down then Chubb & Barkley/Fitzpatrick.

Just as a show of hands...

If your in the Mayfield number 1 camp,

1. Were you a goff or Wentz guy?

2. Were you a Davis Webb guy?

3. Who did you like most out of Trubisky, Deshaun, or Mahomes?

I was a Goff at 1 guy though admittedly was happy with the trade down we didn't trust the small school background enough to feel confident in Wentz. I didn't like Webb or Deshaun and saw Trubisky as likely being over drafted. Mahomes I saw as the biggest boom/bust but saw the IT factor in him. For the record, I've been a Baker guy for some time now.

My take: 

1. Baker deserves to go number one. I'd kill for the "trade down from 1 to 2 to NYG" scenario that everyone keeps thinking they just came up with ?. Give me Baker at 2.

2. Rosen is better than Darnold. I don't know why most people keep making these convoluted hedgings when assessing the two. Rosen is better now and will be the better product. His arm is better than Darnold, as accurate, sees the field better at this stage, and Is take him over Darnold at the end of a game going forward. 

3. Darnold without a lot of development will bust. Idon't know how it happened, but so many of y'all got @brownie man Deshone Kizer beer goggles for Darnold. He's as raw as Mahomes with half the natural tools.  What I see displayed most weeks is an average arm with no real zip, accurate from all platforms when he resets properly-- still off balance on many throws--, terrible footwork that leads to picks, average processing time, a long windup with odd release that doesn't affect accuracy, moderate athleticism with no breakaway speed, good pocket presence that is balanced by bone headed moments ending in turnovers. And he could have easily thrown two more picks if defenders were paying attention. And no, I've thought this way since my cool player names mock months ago, not from yesterday, which was just more of what we've seen all year.

Quit being so melodramatic, Mind. You weren't all in on Deshaun. None of us are for sure right about anything besides Hue. None of us are stupid for disagreeing with you. You might not be right. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

And even more that amnesia will persists regarding Baker Mayfield's game against OSU in 2016 w/ 3 turnovers and low accuracy/completion rate.

We haven't seen that kind of performance against the Buckeye defense since... well, last night.

58 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Similarly, most can't say which fumbles were b/c he was doing to much on the run down field, which ones were b/c he held the ball too long, which one's were b/c his OL got destroyed immediately leading to being blindsided, etc...

I haven't watched any games but if you have and can fill in your own blanks it may help sway (I currently have no take) me until I watch the games myself.

15 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Per Adam Schefter: "I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher one at the wrong team." We are arguably in 2017 the worst team in the history of the NFL with how this franchise had been run in the last several years and the current FO down to players. What team could be more "wrong" than the Browns right now? 

5 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Per Adam Schefter: "I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher one at the wrong team." We are arguably in 2017 the worst team in the history of the NFL with how this franchise had been run in the last several years and the current FO down to players. What team could be more "wrong" than the Browns right now? 

Can you please find the whole thing in context? Until then to you’re misinterpreting this. He’s right and that’s been said many many times before. I don’t see him saying he won’t play for the Browns. 

Wake me up please when he states to the Browns for them to not draft him. I will gladly apologize. In fact I’ll book mark this. 

21 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Oh thats right he was specifically pointing out that he didn't want to play for the Giants, Cold, Broncos or Buccaneers at the top of the draft when he said he would prefer not to play for the wrong team at the top of the draft.

It was a clear shot at the Browns. And btw I was saying the same thing back then when everyone was up in arms that he didn’t want to play for us that I am now. Guess what? I was correct. 

Sheesh if you people just want to argue I’m out. Want to talk about prospects I’ll hang around. 

I "want" to like Baker Mayfield but he just scares me.  I have to be completely honest and say that the Johnny Manziel failed experiment has somewhat scarred me and made me hesitant in regards to embracing Mayfield as a viable first round pick for the Browns. His off/on the field incidences, although "nothing" like Manziels do still make me pause.   I also have to admit that his height makes me wary as well only because the sample size for QB's his height that have succeeded in the NFL is so small.  I do love his accuracy which is something that has been lacking with past Browns QB's over the last 20 years.  Is Baker Mayfield going to be successful in the NFL, no one truly knows, everyone is just speculating on what they have seen from watching his games, highlight videos, and reading articles.  For me, like I said before I was just being honest and would stay away from him in the first round at this moment in time.

Peace!!!

4 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Sorry my man you completely lost me at Rosen and Darnold are not far off from Kizer. They’re far superior as prospects. 

If we drafted Mayfield I’d be ok with it. I think he can be an at least decent starter. Potentially more. I still got Rosen Darnold over him. 

Dude, look at the mistakes that Kizer makes, and tell me those aren't the SAME types of miscues that Rosen and Darnold commit in damn near every outing. Whether they have different ceilings is another debate, but all three of these guys are flawed in near identical areas, except with Darnold, his mechanics are also severely off

Archived