My favorite QB prospect is...

Alex

usa_today_9772199.0.jpg

Clayton Thorson, 6'4" 225 lbs. Northwestern.

Vastly of the quarterbacks in this class are overhyped and overrated, it's easy to neglect the need for drafting a quarterback. I was hopeful Thorson would declare, probably a late round 1 to early 2nd round prospect. He said he was to return for the Senior year and then he got really hurt during the bowl game. It's to be said he may not be able to play for a while and I have a hard time seeing him returning, knowing he could potentially hurt his draft stock, this isn't a Sam Bradford situation where Bradford was already stout as the #1 quarterback in the mediocre draft class and got hurt. Poor, poor Yoric (Clayton) he's playing on a really bad team, despite being 11-2 (after winning the bowl game) the team is practically on Clayton's back. Bad offensive line, inconsistent receivers, and mediocre running backs and Thorson is displaying everything you want to see in a quarterback- awareness, arm, mobility, accuracy, and more. 

I have dubbed him as the next Kirk Cousins, even though I strongly feel like Thorson really can be better. So, for this hypothetical situation where Clayton does declare- my two questions are...

1). Would you draft him in this draft class knowing he is going to be hurt for a while?

2) Where would you draft him?

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Here is mine

Dak-Prescott-Nick-Fitzgerald.jpg?w=700

Nick Fitzgerald has the size and ability.  Is out with a dislocated ankle.  My guess is a 2nd rounder.  His coach has a proven record in developing QBs (Alex Smith, Dak Prescot, and Tim Tebow).

This guy looks interesting.  Reminds a little bit of Mahomes.  Guy would be a hell of a flag football / backlot player.  Thought he was a running back for the first 2 minutes of the highlights, but he has a nice arm.  Just needs to fix his footwork.

You know, I watched Thorsen last year and liked him.  This year, I didn't.  Difference in losing guys.  I have his bowl game taped I believe and I'm going to watch it just for him.  

Fitzgerald is another guy I watched out of Miss St.  I liked him some games, other games he looked awful.  Lots of injuries.  I think I have that bowl game taped so I can check him out again.  

Same with Josh Allen.  Horrible against Iowa, outstanding in the bowl game.  He's my #1 guy based on potential.  He checks EVERY box physically and just the overall impression I get from him.  He needs time to develop further though.  He's Carson Wentz 2.0, and even had the same college coach.  

I would not touch Rodolph or Mayfield.  I think Rudolph is inaccurate and can't throw into tight windows.  Mayfield is Manziel without the arm strength. Dude has some character red flags.

I like Falk because he is accurate and a packet passer.  I just like Fitzgerald a lot more

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I'm going to need to review his INT's.  15 TD's with 12 INT's and a 60% COMP% is concerning.

Agree, many scouts said it's due to lack of protection and drops. I just know he could play for a really bad team. My curiosity has more to do what he can do on a good team. Josh Allen have a better supporting casts. That's saying something.

33 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I don't think our next Franchise QB is in this draft. There's a lot to like (and not like) in Falk and Rudolph but I don't know if I'd give them that title.

I'm down with both....as long as Ben is coming back.

My favorite QB is Lamar Jackson.  I love his poise and athleticism.  He has a strong arm and can make almost every throw.  He has the speed of Martavis Bryant.  The arm of Aaron Rodgers.  The pocket presence of Aaron Smith.  The running ability of Marcus Mariota.  Some don't see an NFL QB and all I can do is laugh.  Last season, I said Watson was the best QB in that draft class.  I haven't spent much time on this year's class but Jackson is someone whose ability is something that I love.

I really respect the time and effort that Matt Waldman puts in his breakdowns.  Enjoy!

21 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

My favorite QB is Lamar Jackson.  I love his poise and athleticism.  He has a strong arm and can make almost every throw.  He has the speed of Martavis Bryant.  The arm of Aaron Rodgers.  The pocket presence of Aaron Smith.  The running ability of Marcus Mariota.  Some don't see an NFL QB and all I can do is laugh.  Last season, I said Watson was the best QB in that draft class.  I haven't spent much time on this year's class but Jackson is someone whose ability is something that I love.

Hmmmmm, I'm torn. I respect both your and JPN's prospect analysis but you two are polar opposites on Jackson. I guess I'll have to watch some tape and make up my own mind. >:(

6 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Hmmmmm, I'm torn. I respect both your and JPN's prospect analysis but you two are polar opposites on Jackson. I guess I'll have to watch some tape and make up my own mind. >:(

Remember many felt Desaun Watson would struggle and he thrived on NFL defenses.  

Archived