My favorite QB prospect is...

Alex

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Aaron Rodgers isnt a true dual threat QB.   He is primarily a pocket passer who runs as a last resort, whereas those other QBs would often take off after their first read or as soon as they felt pressure instead of moving around the pocket like Rodgers does.    

Rodgers has elite passing ability.   Cant say that about those other guys.   

Dual threat is a QB who CAN run as well as he throw the ball.  I agree that some dual threat QBs bail too early and try to rely on athleticism too much but Lamar isn't that type.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

I wouldnt mind us taking a chance on Jackson late in the first round, but I have a feeling he will be drafted higher....perhaps top 10, which is a mistake IMO.

Agreed but I think someone will take him in the 20s range.  The game against FSU was a good one to watch.

Just now, armsteeld said:

Dual threat is a QB who CAN run as well as he throw the ball.  I agree that some dual threat QBs bail too early and try to rely on athleticism too much but Lamar isn't that type.

What I meant is Rodgers doesnt use his legs nearly as much as your typical "dual threat" QB.   He is an elite pocket passer as well, so he only uses his dual threat when needed..   Most "dual threat" QBs rely on their legs way too much, and dont have the ability to be great pocket passers.

3 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Agreed but I think someone will take him in the 20s range.  The game against FSU was a good one to watch.

Perhaps.    I could see the Jets taking him as early as 8, the Cardinals taking him at 15 (depending on who takes over for Arians) and the Bills perhaps taking him in the likely early 20s.

If he happened to fall to us, Id seriously consider it.  Give him a year to learn behind Ben and work with some of our talented skill players and he could be real good in a few years.

Depends who else is on the board though.

Lamar Jackson is literally the last QB I'd consider drafting, unless it was in the 5th round as a KR.  Give me Ryan Burns from Stanford over him....a guy that got benched this year.  I just got done watching Jackson's bowl game.  Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible.  They cut off the end of the game, so I didn't see them all, but his INTs were overthrows not under pressure.  He fumbled twice, and one the refs missed (he threw a pick the next play lol) and the other one he picked it back up.  The guy is a hellacious athlete, but he's a also an atrocious passer.  His TDs were just simple, basic passes that anyone can make.  The dropped pass in the end zone was a decent throw.  He showed basically no touch, no accuracy, etc.  He's an athlete, not an NFL QB.  He's a poor man's version of Kordell Stewart.  You guys really want that junk at QB for the Steelers again?

I watched NC State and their QB threw a beautiful ball to start the game and looked pretty solid overall.  Ryan Finley.  He's a projected 6.  I'd take him any day over Jackson in any round, including 7.  He might not be a star, but he looks like he'd be a guy that you could win games with.

As for the dual threat QBs you guys are talking about, Rodgers is not a runner.  He's a passer that runs after everyone else runs downfield and no one is open, or if he's flushed.  He CAN run, but he's not a runner.  Russell Wilson caught my eye at NC State and I was really impressed with him there.  I didn't like him as much as Wisconsin, and didn't like his size, but you could see he could be a real QB at NC State.  Not a gimmick guy like Jackson.  A QB who CAN run but keeps his eyes downfield until he does is good.  A QB who DOES run often and as a first option is not.  

28 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I watched NC State and their QB threw a beautiful ball to start the game and looked pretty solid overall.  Ryan Finley.  He's a projected 6.  I'd take him any day over Jackson in any round, including 7.  He might not be a star, but he looks like he'd be a guy that you could win games with.

I'll believe that when I see it.

Steelers aren't taking a QB anyway, so it really doesn't matter.  Fun exercise, but no real, practical application to our team. 

2019 or 2020.  Ben isn't going to retire... most likely.  Landry has one more year left on his contract.  Dobbs will play out his rookie deal.    

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

Steelers aren't taking a QB anyway, so it really doesn't matter.  Fun exercise, but no real, practical application to our team. 

2019 or 2020.  Ben isn't going to retire... most likely.  Landry has one more year left on his contract.  Dobbs will play out his rookie deal.    

They should take a QB, at least in the mid rounds.  All they have is a guy contemplating retirement and 2 guys that are pure trash.  

9 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

They should take a QB, at least in the mid rounds.  All they have is a guy contemplating retirement and 2 guys that are pure trash.  

I wouldn't have taken Dobbs last year in the 4th, but now that they have him, he's not going anywhere.  He hasn't had to time to develop and show what he can do.

Landry is not trash.  He may not be a starting caliber NFL QB, but he is a capable backup.  I think he proved that yesterday.  

6 hours ago, JLambert58 said:

I wouldn't have taken Dobbs last year in the 4th, but now that they have him, he's not going anywhere.  He hasn't had to time to develop and show what he can do.

Landry is not trash.  He may not be a starting caliber NFL QB, but he is a capable backup.  I think he proved that yesterday.  

Well you might be right about them keeping Dobbs since they wasted a pick on him, but they shouldn't think that way.  The guy is a scrub.  You don't compound a mistake by doubling down and passing on a guy that could be the answer.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on Landry.  I didn't even know they stacked crap 6'4" high.  

On 12/31/2017 at 11:39 AM, armsteeld said:

My favorite QB is Lamar Jackson.  I love his poise and athleticism.  He has a strong arm and can make almost every throw.  He has the speed of Martavis Bryant.  The arm of Aaron Rodgers.  The pocket presence of Aaron Smith.  The running ability of Marcus Mariota.  Some don't see an NFL QB and all I can do is laugh.  Last season, I said Watson was the best QB in that draft class.  I haven't spent much time on this year's class but Jackson is someone whose ability is something that I love.

I really respect the time and effort that Matt Waldman puts in his breakdowns.  Enjoy!

I also like Lamar's Poise but i love the fact that he has it against teams like NC State and FSu and players like James and Chubb...he put a total of over 400 yards and 3 tds on them...i really hope this steal falls our way but i doubt it...

McKenzie Milton, Central Florida, looks great but will never be drafted in the NFL because of his height.  He carved up Auburn with accurate throws.  He will be the next Drew Brees if drafted but I think he will end up in the CFL.

Archived