My favorite QB prospect is...

Alex

4 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I don't ever recall this much of a split on QB analysis. It doesn't even seem like there's a middle ground. Half say he can be special. The other half thinks he's garbage. Very peculiar. 

Here's my thing and why I think everyone is so split:

He didn't play with the best OL out there so he had to do some certain things to get the ball out.  But at the same time he threw to a ton of wide open guys and played in a "video game" offense.  It personally reminds me of Paxton Lynch.  He put up stats, looked good in this offense that was built to do things like this.  But in the NFL he hasn't looked great because he needs to anticipate routes, guys aren't that open in the NFL, and the DLines are bigger and quicker.

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

McKenzie Milton, Central Florida, looks great but will never be drafted in the NFL because of his height.  He carved up Auburn with accurate throws.  He will be the next Drew Brees if drafted but I think he will end up in the CFL.

I taped that last game of theirs, but I never got around to watching it.  Russell Wilson is shorter than that (almost an inch shorter), but thicker (20 lbs heavier).  Brees was an inch taller and 28 lbs heavier lol.  I definitely don't like 5'11" 185 out of my QB, but if he can play he can play.  I undersold Russell Wilson and would've passed on him in the draft, even though I really liked what I saw out of him when he was at NC State, because he was only 5'10". 

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Here's my thing and why I think everyone is so split:

He didn't play with the best OL out there so he had to do some certain things to get the ball out.  But at the same time he threw to a ton of wide open guys and played in a "video game" offense.  It personally reminds me of Paxton Lynch.  He put up stats, looked good in this offense that was built to do things like this.  But in the NFL he hasn't looked great because he needs to anticipate routes, guys aren't that open in the NFL, and the DLines are bigger and quicker.

Jackson doesn't lack anticipation.  He lacks touch at times and will make flat footed throws with his shoulder rather than with his body.

On 1/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

Well you might be right about them keeping Dobbs since they wasted a pick on him, but they shouldn't think that way.  The guy is a scrub.  You don't compound a mistake by doubling down and passing on a guy that could be the answer.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on Landry.  I didn't even know they stacked crap 6'4" high.  

Honest question:  Did you watch his performance against the Browns with a JV OLine w 3rd string C, no AB & no Bell?  He was 23-27 for 239 yards and a TD.  Yes, he threw an INT and had a bad fumble, but overall, his performance was, at the very least, pretty decent for a guy who hasn't played all year. 

The narrative on Landry has changed.  His first 2-3 years in the league, he was hot garbage.  But he has significantly improved in the last two years.  

If Ben decides to come back before the draft, I'd pass altogether on QB in this draft, unless a top prospect fell into our laps. 

Given that, I would not draft Baker Mayfield regardless.  However, if Luke Falk is there in the late 3rd, maybe? 

On 1/3/2018 at 12:46 PM, JLambert58 said:

Honest question:  Did you watch his performance against the Browns with a JV OLine w 3rd string C, no AB & no Bell?  He was 23-27 for 239 yards and a TD.  Yes, he threw an INT and had a bad fumble, but overall, his performance was, at the very least, pretty decent for a guy who hasn't played all year. 

The narrative on Landry has changed.  His first 2-3 years in the league, he was hot garbage.  But he has significantly improved in the last two years.  

I didn't watch it too closely.  Had stuff going on and was just watching it delayed and just the plays as quickly as I could.  I look at guys like him (the backups behind an "old" QB) and just look at it as him needing to show me he's a potential franchise QB.  He's not.  Simple as that.  The reason I only half watched it is because I don't like watching scrubs play.  No Brown, no Ben, no Bell, means not a lot of anything worth looking at.  

You do realize though that the Browns in their entirety are a 3rd string/JV team right?  0-16.  31st in points allowed and 19th in passing yards allowed.  Offense was 32nd in points scored.  So there was virtually no pressure on Landry to do much of anything in that game.  You take away JuJu's KR TD and the Steelers lose that.  Landry's 2 turnovers are a large reason why it was that close.  

Was he better the last few games than he was early on his in his career?  Hard to not be.  4-6 INTs a game was what I expected at that time.  He did that in the preseason game against scrubs last year.  The year before he threw 4 INTs in 55 attempts, including 2 INTs in 2 games.  And yes, I know Ben had the 5 INT game this year, but he's earned the right to be given a pass on some things.

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I didn't watch it too closely.  Had stuff going on and was just watching it delayed and just the plays as quickly as I could.  I look at guys like him (the backups behind an "old" QB) and just look at it as him needing to show me he's a potential franchise QB.  He's not.  Simple as that.  The reason I only half watched it is because I don't like watching scrubs play.  No Brown, no Ben, no Bell, means not a lot of anything worth looking at.  

You do realize though that the Browns in their entirety are a 3rd string/JV team right?  0-16.  31st in points allowed and 19th in passing yards allowed.  Offense was 32nd in points scored.  So there was virtually no pressure on Landry to do much of anything in that game.  You take away JuJu's KR TD and the Steelers lose that.  Landry's 2 turnovers are a large reason why it was that close.  

Was he better the last few games than he was early on his in his career?  Hard to not be.  4-6 INTs a game was what I expected at that time.  He did that in the preseason game against scrubs last year.  The year before he threw 4 INTs in 55 attempts, including 2 INTs in 2 games.  And yes, I know Ben had the 5 INT game this year, but he's earned the right to be given a pass on some things.

Landry is in no way a franchise QB...it is however possible that he is a decent stop gap manager QB. He won against the browns last year too... but he has performed decently many other times... so I could not consider him “crap”

On 1/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

I look at guys like him (the backups behind an "old" QB) and just look at it as him needing to show me he's a potential franchise QB.  He's not.

No argument there.  (Although he's as close to that now as he's ever been)  But we don't need him to be a potential franchise QB.  He's a back up.  A fairly efficient one.  Like Charlie Batch, we don't need him to be the starter, we just need him to come in on short notice and be competitive and keep the team afloat, whether is be for 3 quarters or 3 games.  

On 1/4/2018 at 5:03 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

You do realize though that the Browns in their entirety are a 3rd string/JV team right?  0-16.  31st in points allowed and 19th in passing yards allowed.  Offense was 32nd

Sure the Browns are the Browns and the game was not critical but he still performed fairly well within the context of the game.  

Bottom line:  IMO he fulfills the role he has well enough that I'm comfortable with it.  Do I want to see him in there starting a 6 game stretch in the middle of the season?  Not really.  But that's true of 99% of backup QBs in the NFL. 

Archived