First Head Coach Replacement Rumor--Matt Patricia

Just Want A Title

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What do people see in Vrabel?  The DC of the worst scoring defense in football, worse than the lions last year in yards per play.  All with arguably more talent than we had.  I get that he is a name but he has proven absolutely nothing at the NFL level as a coach.

Texans were missing a lot of players on their defense due to injury. JJ Watt, Whitney Mercilus, DJ Reader, and Brian Cushing are the big names that missed a lot of time. They went through a ton of LB's because they kept getting hurt, and their replacements kept getting hurt, etc. If that defense was healthy it would've been a top unit.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, IDOG_det said:

Texans were missing a lot of players on their defense due to injury. JJ Watt, Whitney Mercilus, DJ Reader, and Brian Cushing are the big names that missed a lot of time. They went through a ton of LB's because they kept getting hurt, and their replacements kept getting hurt, etc. If that defense was healthy it would've been a top unit.

I get they were down some pieces, but that D still had more talent than half the league.  They were a top unit on talent alone before Vrabel got there.  What I want to see from a coach is how they coach up the lesser talent and get the most out of them.  New England develops talent and figures things out even without big names.  Someone who makes that D consistently great even after replacing top talent year after year has a much better resume than a guy who has spent a couple years with a super talent D that has underperformed.

Looks like Patricia is the choice per Ian Rappoport on GMFB this morning.  Hopefully he brings in a DC w/ coordinator experience.  Took a look at some of the Lions current defensive coaches.  Good solid coaches.   Kocurek will have to bone up on 3-4 line schemes.  If he keeps Cooter as OC, obviously a new OL coach and probably a new RB coach who can also be a Running game coord., like we had w/Cutis Modkins a few years back

On 2018-01-11 at 5:01 PM, Karnage84 said:

I actually would have no complaints about that. Brings exactly what I think he needs - a former HC that will help out on D. Let JBC run the offensive show. I wouldn't mind bringing in Tom Cable as OL Coach. Again, more experience and a track record of success. Learn from their mistakes and have good counsel.

I think Gruden already poached Cable.

16 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I think Gruden already poached Cable.

Yeah - a lot has changed in about 72 hours lol Patricia actually appears to be our HC, Cable is the OL coach in Oakland, Shurmur in NY, McDaniels in Indy. I'm fascinated to see what Shurmur does at QB in New York. Keenum has played his best football ever with the Vikings. I wonder if he decides to stick it out there or follow Shurmur.

19 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Yeah - a lot has changed in about 72 hours lol Patricia actually appears to be our HC, Cable is the OL coach in Oakland, Shurmur in NY, McDaniels in Indy. I'm fascinated to see what Shurmur does at QB in New York. Keenum has played his best football ever with the Vikings. I wonder if he decides to stick it out there or follow Shurmur.

Another good question. The Vikings certainly have a number of QB’s and someone I’ll be leaving via free agency, cuts etc.

Archived