First Head Coach Replacement Rumor--Matt Patricia

Just Want A Title

19 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Patricia seems to be set as our next head coach. The question should now become, who will be our DC and what scheme will we run? 

Vrabel as DC and assistant HC. I think whatever coordinator is brought in it will be a multiple front defence rather than a straight 3-4 or 4-3.

27 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Vrabel as DC and assistant HC. I think whatever coordinator is brought in it will be a multiple front defence rather than a straight 3-4 or 4-3.

Why would he leave a job where he has JJ Watt and Clowney and have a solid chance at a HC job this time around next year? Patricia is going to get all of the credit for the defense (warranted or not). Unless Crennel is imposing on his turf, I just don't see the upside for him on making the switch.

I agree, the Vrabel as DC thing seems like a long shot, but.. it's possible that he could see Quinn and Patricia together as a very promising young combo and want to be part of the next big thing.

After all, Patricia could have chosen the Giants or some other team, presumably he's coming here because he knows Quinn and probably talked in the past how they'd love to work together some day. There's a chance that Vrabel could jump on board too. A long shot, agreed, but not unheard of

25 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I agree, the Vrabel as DC thing seems like a long shot, but.. it's possible that he could see Quinn and Patricia together as a very promising young combo and want to be part of the next big thing.

After all, Patricia could have chosen the Giants or some other team, presumably he's coming here because he knows Quinn and probably talked in the past how they'd love to work together some day. There's a chance that Vrabel could jump on board too. A long shot, agreed, but not unheard of

Anything is possible and it would be awesome if it happened. However, it sounds more like something that would happen with an older guy that has been a HC once or twice and failed. Wade Phillips would be a perfect example of someone that might make a move like that. He's tried to be a HC and it didn't quite work out. However he's a rock solid coordinator. A guy that is unproven and looking to make his mark probably doesn't want to get tied in with another "next big thing".

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out. Crazy things can happen

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Why would he leave a job where he has JJ Watt and Clowney and have a solid chance at a HC job this time around next year? Patricia is going to get all of the credit for the defense (warranted or not). Unless Crennel is imposing on his turf, I just don't see the upside for him on making the switch.

Just throwing it out there. Who knows at this point. It would depend on how he views Detroit’s defence, autonomy and an Assistant HC position. Familiarity with Patricia and Quinn might be a strong hook as well. 

8 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

Pat’s to the Super Bowl. One thing that sticks out is how Patricia makes half time adjustments & shuts down the Jags. Half Time adjustments.... something we’ve haven’t seen in these parts for a long time. 

That's all well and good but no one knows how much of that is him and how much of that is BB... That's always been the issue evaluating a Pats DC

**** Lebeau is not returning as the Titans DC. I'd be interested in Patricia bringing him on as DC. Lebeau has been around for a long time. Would help bring some experience with MP. The Titans D wasn't really the issue. Mariota was hurt and they haven't been able to get him really going.

I think we've heard enough to know that Patricia deserves credit for all aspects of their defense, including in-game adjustments. After all he writes their defensive game plans so you can hardly adjust what he's responsible for without him being involved.

to change the subject, I saw Vrabel's opening presser with the Titans and boy I'm glad we didn't hire him. He looked and sounded very green. He's going to need some serious veteran help in his coaching staff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, rob_shadows said:

That's all well and good but no one knows how much of that is him and how much of that is BB... That's always been the issue evaluating a Pats DC

Solid point, defensive adjustments are far more likely to be BB that Patricia, IMO.

Jeff Davidson is Lions new Oline coach.

The resume

Here's where Davidson has been over the past three decades:

Ohio State guard, 1986-89

Denver Broncos guard, 1990-93

New Orleans Saints guard, 1994

New Orleans Saints offensive assistant, 1995-1996

New England Patriots tight ends coach, 1997

New England Patriots offensive line coach, 1998-2004

Cleveland Browns offensive line coach, 2005

Cleveland Browns offensive coordinator/assistant head coach, 2006

Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator, 2007-10