Brandon Carr in 2018

sp6488

Do you see  him coming back next season?  He was a reliable second corner to start the season, then was picked on a bit in the latter half once Jimmy went out (abused in the Pitt game).  That said, he's tied his career high in picks with 4 and has had his most PD (10) since 2013.  Cutting him next season would free up $4MM of cap space (per RSR, below).

CARR-Brandon-2017-Contract-1.png

He's potentially an obvious cut if we need the $$, but at the same time, it's not like we could sign a FA CB for that money.  I like what we have in Smith, Humphrey, Young and Canady (as well as Jaylen Hill, but he won't be ready to start next season), but all of those guys (with the exception of MH) have had injury concerns.

I'd think he'd be kept him unless that $4m was really needed to sign a different FA that was thought to be able to provide a bigger impact (i.e a WR).

Jaylen Hill will start the season on PUP, and it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy did either.  That would leave just 3 CBs with any significant defensive snaps + Anthony "Mr Utility" Levine, and given the history of injuries for this franchise recently, I wouldn't be comfortable with that

37 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'd think he'd be kept him unless that $4m was really needed to sign a different FA that was thought to be able to provide a bigger impact (i.e a WR).

Jaylen Hill will start the season on PUP, and it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy did either.  That would leave just 3 CBs with any significant defensive snaps + Anthony "Mr Utility" Levine, and given the history of injuries for this franchise recently, I wouldn't be comfortable with that

The biggest question, I guess, is what the cap will be for next season.  Per RSR, we were $3.2MM under the $167MM 2017 cap.  RSR has us at $169MM for next season (including raises and CJ Mosley's 5th year option; doesn't include rollover money, I think), so we may very well not need the space if there is any significant increase in the cap (barring the desire to bring in a higher ticket FA).  Another space we could actually open up some money for 2018 would be signing Mosley to a LTD.

22 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The cap will be higher, but assuming that RSRs numbers don't include rookie cap hits, we won't have that much room to move without cutting people

Eh, with the rule of 51, I wouldn't see it being too much higher.  Our 1st and 2nd rounder will add about $2.2MM and $1MM (less the minimum player they replace), going off Humphrey and Bowser's numbers from this year.

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Hill injury forces our hand unless a top corner falls to us at some point in the draft or we get a good enough trade offer for him.

Not sure Hill necessarily forces our hand.  

That said, I could easily see them wait it out and see where they stand after the draft and what other teams do with cuts.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Rule of 51 only applies in the off-season.

In season, all players on the active roster and IR count under the cap

My mistake.  We would still only be up the delta from the min contracts that we currently have on the books for those last spots (mostly end of roster guys that are on IR, like Boykin).

I don't understand why anyone would NOT want Carr back next year. He's a completely capable #2 corner in any scheme. No, he's not going to cover Antonio Brown 1v1 without safety help, but he will do his part against most NFL receivers AND HE WILL STAY HEALTHY, and I cannot overstate how important that is.

Also, a very underrated aspect is his veteran presence in a group that's dominated by rookies and very young players. We need him there.

It's really $6M that we have to pay him each year we want him on the team (4.5 salary+1.5 roster bonus). The 4M savings figure is because the 2M from the signing bonus charged to 2019 and 2020 would move up, but that cap charge doesn't totally go away if he stays on the team.

But yes, I think he was worth $6M this year and we should keep him next year. 

Archived