Suggs: HOFer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Suggs: HOFer?

• Absolutely, unequivocally yes
    • Probably, but he could solidify it with just a little more
    • Maybe, he would have to do more for me to say yes
    • Probably not, but he could get in the conversation with something amazing
    • Absolutely not, barring a miracle

This is definitely something we've tossed around before.  Pretty straightforward question, is he a HOFer?  

The Stats (all going into 2017 season week 17)

125.5 sacks (#2 active; #17 all-time)*
806 Total Tackles (574 Solo)
32 FF / 12 F3
7 INT , 144 yds, 2 TD

* Not an official stat until 1982

Playoffs

Notable player on a SB team
12.5 playoff sacks (#1 active; #3 all-time, behind Willie McGinest and Bruce Smith)
Started 17 playoff games (#70 all-time)

Accolades/Awards

2003 NFL DRotY
2011 NFL DPotY
7 x Probowl
1 x 1st Team All Pro
1 x 2nd Team All Pro

Non-quantifiable Items

One of the better 3-4 OLBs at setting the edge against the run
Possesses an uncanny ability to sniff our and blow up screen passes
Big personality that has received a lot of media attention over his career
Some off-field issues, although these haven't received a ton of attention nationally

My thinking is he's a more-likely-than-not guys right now, but I think one more good season puts him in easily.  At that point, I think his numbers might be too much to let him be kept out.  For argument's sake, if he doesn't add any more sacks against the Bengals tomorrow (decent chance he does, though, with their OL problems - he got 2 in week one), then he will be at 125.5 going into next season.  At that point, a productive-albeit not extraordinary-season of 8 sacks would vault him past Dwight Freeney, Derrick Thomas, Rickey Jackson, Lawrence Taylor* and Leslie O'neal into a tie for #12 all-time with Johnathan Abraham at 135.5.  Alternatively, if he goes nuts this postseason, I could see that being a path to sure induction (if he snags the top post-season sack spot or helps the team to a deep run, like to the AFCCG).

In line with any further production he can add is the question of how much longer he will play.  He looks like he found the fountain of youth this season and I'd love to see him stay in Baltimore as long as he can play and wants to.  We would save $4MM cutting him next season, but I don't think we actually need the space (and there are other folks who would be in line for release before him IMO).  If anything, I wouldn't mind seeing us offer him a two/three-year extension that would open up a few million of space for 2018 and keep him in Baltimore through his last game.  Current cap situation for Suggs below:

Screen-Shot-2016-02-01-at-3.52.18-PM.png

Anyway, interested to hear y'all's thoughts.

Voted "Probably"

He's got a number of the things that when put together would suggest he should be a lock or close to it (DPOY, DROY, SB ring) but his lack of All-Pro recognition and being overshadowed for much of his career by guys like Ware, Freeney etc mean he's not a lock.  And the fact that one of the things he was elite at doesn't rack up stats (setting the edge) doesn't help either when it comes to guys that may not have watched him much voting on his candidacy.

If he could somehow get the 12 sacks necessary to get him into the Top 10 for career sacks he'd be an absolute lock

21 minutes ago, alfalcone said:

He was better against the run than most, if not all, of his contemporaries on the sack list.  He also benefits from longevity, and playing from an all time great defense (2006 and a Super Bowl). 

I also wonder if his affiliation with the Ravens defense will benefit him (unfairly in some ways relative to other candidates).  Baltimore hasn't had many prolific sack guys, particularly over an extended period, with the exception of Peter Boulware.  His standing as the all-time sack leader for the Ravens, a team known for D almost more than any other (in terms of the perception of the franchise as a whole), may vault him over the top.

I think I’m terms of 3-4 OLBs in their prime, outside of Harrison, Suggs was HANDS DOWN the second best all around player.

To me, he was always the one player I feared most when the Steelers & Ravens got together for a brutal matchup. I think he is a hell of an edge rusher and an underrated one at that, damn good at stuffing the run, has the ability to be moved all over the field creating havoc and confusion, & not to mention one hell of a leader & intimidator. I know guys like DeMarcus Ware & Clay Matthews get a lot of love in the public eye but I’ll take Suggs every day and twice on sundays if I were starting a franchise and/or voting those said players into Canton. To me, he SHOULD be a first ballot HOF’er but will more than likely have to wait a few years to get in. 

26 minutes ago, waffles7 said:

I think I’m terms of 3-4 OLBs in their prime, outside of Harrison, Suggs was HANDS DOWN the second best all around player.

To me, he was always the one player I feared most when the Steelers & Ravens got together for a brutal matchup. I think he is a hell of an edge rusher and an underrated one at that, damn good at stuffing the run, has the ability to be moved all over the field creating havoc and confusion, & not to mention one hell of a leader & intimidator. I know guys like DeMarcus Ware & Clay Matthews get a lot of love in the public eye but I’ll take Suggs every day and twice on sundays if I were starting a franchise and/or voting those said players into Canton. To me, he SHOULD be a first ballot HOF’er but will more than likely have to wait a few years to get in. 

Bro...let me just stop you there, especially in terms of DeMarcus Ware. Clay Matthews, sure, but DeMarcus Ware is better than Suggs and it's not even debatable - and that's not a hit against Suggs, because Ware was the most dominant OLB/DE in the 2000's. 

Yeah, I just think with every player outside of a Ray Lewis or a Jerry Rice type, the moment they retire we seem to lower them for the next big thing. DeMarcus Ware was utterly dominant, but because of JJ Watt.. who is Ware? And Suggs for how great he’s been against the run and how solid he is as a pass rusher... when he retires, I think he’ll be remembered as a “solid” player. He’ll lose some luster. Outside of slam dunk first ballot players, it’s difficult to truly rate a guy’s chances. With another Super Bowl or another high sack production season, I think Suggs gets in there eventually. But with his current resume, I think he’d miss out.

That said, like has been stated he’ll benefit from three things.

1) Ravens defenders and that prestige will buy him some Canton Coins.

2) Steelers are the most popular football team and we played against them 2x a year.

3) Patriots are the most successful team of this era and Suggs always has great success against them.

In the end though, his longevity is what likely will get him into the HOF.

He'll definitely get in, but whether it's first ballot or not will depend on who else is up there with him that year.

For all his on field accolades, I think his media-friendly personality will be the clincher. He seems to be a guy who even hated rivals grudgingly respect and almost hate-like.

And he's not just a stats player, he does so much of the grunt work as well. Setting the edge, stopping the run, reading offenses. That stuff does get taken into account, alongside the recorded sack totals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived