Titans sign Dennis Kelly to 3 year extension

TitanLegend

I wonder if we'll be seeing any other extensions.

Some names to consider:

Quinton Spain - Probably the most deserving currently. Vastly outperforming his $615,000 cost and is a free agent after this season. Would be wise to lock him up now rather than have to bid on him in FA, because he will be an extremely hot commodity with the lack of good o-linemen in this league.

Jurrell Casey - Is signed through next season, but has outplayed his deal(he took quite the hometown discount for us when he signed his original extension). Even if we didn't bump his pay much,  locking him up for the foreseeable future would be wise.

Taylor Lewan - Pretty well known that he's going to be getting paid sooner rather than later. We should just go ahead and offer to make him the highest paid LT in history and get it over with. That's what it's likely going to take regardless, after seeing garbage OTs like Okung and Kalil rake in the cash this past off-season.

Josh Kline - Another guy on the last year of his deal, making 1.6 mil. He's not even a lock to be starter I don't think(though I would be surprised if he wasn't), I wouldn't be shocked if he's a case where we may be interested in having him back, but don't offer him nearly as much as he could get elsewhere. We do have Lelito under contract as well, a player of a similar caliber to Kline, so keeping Kline isn't a must, but if he's willing to stay he'd be nice to have around, even if not starting.

17 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

A move that many of us hated.
Turned out to be alright. 

Speak for yourself.  I knew that was a legendary trade from the moment it was announced!!!

(Don't worry about going to another outdated forum to check old threads... I swear it's true!!)

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder if we'll be seeing any other extensions.

Some names to consider:

Quinton Spain - Probably the most deserving currently. Vastly outperforming his $615,000 cost and is a free agent after this season. Would be wise to lock him up now rather than have to bid on him in FA, because he will be an extremely hot commodity with the lack of good o-linemen in this league.

Jurrell Casey - Is signed through next season, but has outplayed his deal(he took quite the hometown discount for us when he signed his original extension). Even if we didn't bump his pay much,  locking him up for the foreseeable future would be wise.

Taylor Lewan - Pretty well known that he's going to be getting paid sooner rather than later. We should just go ahead and offer to make him the highest paid LT in history and get it over with. That's what it's likely going to take regardless, after seeing garbage OTs like Okung and Kalil rake in the cash this past off-season.

Josh Kline - Another guy on the last year of his deal, making 1.6 mil. He's not even a lock to be starter I don't think(though I would be surprised if he wasn't), I wouldn't be shocked if he's a case where we may be interested in having him back, but don't offer him nearly as much as he could get elsewhere. We do have Lelito under contract as well, a player of a similar caliber to Kline, so keeping Kline isn't a must, but if he's willing to stay he'd be nice to have around, even if not starting.

One of Kline or Spain will walk. Can't see us tying up that kind of money into every position on our line. My guess is Spain is offered a huge contract elsewhere. 

Just now, titansNvolsR#1 said:

One of Kline or Spain will walk. Can't see us tying up that kind of money into every position on our line. My guess is Spain is offered a huge contract elsewhere. 

Would be extremely foolish of them to let Spain walk. Players like him don't grow on trees.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Would be extremely foolish of them to let Spain walk. Players like him don't grow on trees.

Don't disagree his worth to the team, but just don't know if the FO will be okay giving big extensions to Kline, Kelly, Lewan, Jones, Conklin, and Spain. Mariota coming up for an extension, as well. How long is R. Matthews signed for? If he improves on next season he might be in order for a pay bump, too. 

Good problems to have though.

Just now, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Don't disagree his worth to the team, but just don't know if the FO will be okay giving big extensions to Kline, Kelly, Lewan, Jones, Conklin, and Spain. Mariota coming up for an extension, as well. How long is R. Matthews signed for? If he improves on next season he might be in order for a pay bump, too. 

Good problems to have though.

If Kline wants to be paid a lot you let him walk. Under no circumstances do you let Spain walk though(unless he's asking for some kind of ridiculous #). Jones is under contract for the next 3 seasons so he's good for now. Matthews is under contract for the next two seasons.

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

A move that many of us hated.
Turned out to be alright. 

I wasn't one of those people. He is a solid back up and is used as a TE on heavy packages as I predicted. ???

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Guess I just haven't been as blown away by him. He's not bad, but I honestly don't believe he's been much more than average. There really wasn't a noticeable difference when Schwenke went in for him last year. 

If they can lock him up on the cheap, then cool...continuity is good. But I won't lose sleep if he signs elsewhere when he hits FA. Between Lewan and Jones, I'm comfortable with the next man up approach.

Archived