2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

4 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Just as long as McDaniels and Patricia both find HC jobs, I'll be happy.  

If Patricia leaves, the Pats will likely promote Brian Flores to DC, and he's supposedly very good.

If McDaniels leaves, it'll be between Brian Daboll (if he decides to come back to the NFL) or Chad O'Shea taking over. I have less confidence in them (though the offense will probably keep plugging away as long as Brady is QB).

Worth mentioning - Belichick's oldest son, Stephen, is the safeties coach and will probably be ready to become a coordinator in a year or two.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

If Fangio is fine just being a DC, the Ravens should already be on the phone with him. It almost makes too much sense with the Harbaugh connection. If Fangio wants to be HC though, he deserves a shot.

Yeah, except... people have to remember that just because a HC gets fired, it doesn't mean the entire staff is out.  If those coaches on staff are still under contracts of their own, they're still contracted to the team, which means you can't just call them up and try to bring them in on a lateral hire.  You have to get permission from the team they're currently contracted to in order to interview them for a lateral hire.  So this is likely to be the case (depending on the state of their contracts) for guys like Fangio, Cooter, Austin, and Bettcher.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, except... people have to remember that just because a HC gets fired, it doesn't mean the entire staff is out.  If those coaches on staff are still under contracts of their own, they're still contracted to the team, which means you can't just call them up and try to bring them in on a lateral hire.  You have to get permission from the team they're currently contracted to in order to interview them for a lateral hire.  So this is likely to be the case (depending on the state of their contracts) for guys like Fangio, Cooter, Austin, and Bettcher.

Fangio's contract ends after this season iirc

12 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Fangio's contract ends after this season iirc

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-bears-vic-fangio-spt-0611-20170610-column.html

Yeah, seems like that's the case.  As to Baltimore going after him... that, as I addressed earlier, I'm not sure I'd see as likely.  I see the fit and I get it, but Fangio has his guys that he prefers to work with too and that's tended to include Ed Donatell as a secondary coach.  Meanwhile, Baltimore has their own secondary coach, Chris Hewitt, who is also a Harbaugh guy through and through (except in his case, specifically John Harbaugh), who would likely be a highly sought-after DC candidate himself if he weren't promoted or protected in some way.

I do expect Fangio to be this off-season's Wade Phillips though.  In that same breath though, I don't think that necessarily means that he's going to just go where the most easily-connectable dots are, similar to Wade last year.  Depending on the state of the relationship with the Yorks, I wouldn't actually rule him going back to the Niners and working under Lil Shanny as an option.  Outside of his time in Baltimore, he's almost seemed to prefer reclamation projects and opportunities to strip down & rebuild defensive units entirely versus takeover and retool existing units.

Ultimately, it wouldn't be shocking to see him take an Asst. HC/LB coach gig either.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I expect the Cardinals will just promote Jim Bettcher. I don't see that as a particularly appealing landing spot for an external candidate, given they have the league's oldest roster and no apparent plan at QB.

A lot of those players are FA in 2018. Here are all of the players 27 and older signed for next year in Arizona.

Antoine Bethea (33), Phil Dawson (42), Larry Fitzgerald (34), Jermaine Gresham (29), Mike Iuapti (30), Chandler Jones (27), Andy Lee (35), Carson Palmer (38), Corey Peters (29), Patrick Peterson (27), Adrian Peterson (32), A.Q. Shipley (31) and Jared Veldheer (31).

Guys in Red I can see retiring or being cut. Having some of the oldest Special Teams players in the league doesn't help that average either. With an influx of OL and WR in the draft I believe the Cardinals are very appealing to a HC. Only 32 of those jobs out there.

One other, I suppose, just observation from me.  I can certainly see the connection to Fangio if the Packers elect to keep Capers' scheme.  But also, just looking at the state of the Packers' defensive personnel, I don't see a lot that necessitates them sticking with Capers' scheme.  These have, from what I can recall, been the instances where clubs tend to not shy away from scheme changes towards those which feature the younger, established talent that they do have on that side of the ball.  So yeah, there's a logical progression from Capers to Fangio since Fangio effectively runs Caper's same scheme, but the more operative question is: Might this be the cleanest opportunity for Green Bay to move on from Capers' scheme to something a better fit for the likes of Perry, Daniels, Dix, King, and Fackrell - none of whom are all that dependent on a 3-4 alignment for their success.

58 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Glad to hear you are a fan. I wasn't sure if it was you who asked about him in the Eagles forum, but I guess it was @G08. Just goes to show you guys have been on top of your coaching options since you were looking at a guy who wasn't really a big name. Kudos to y'all.

And, yeah man....... I'm gonna miss those videos from the Eagles website with him breaking down plays.

I'll definitely be watching more Bears if he gets the job.

Chicago isn't a team where he can just come in and have Sean McVay type success, but its still a pretty good job since I think Trubisky can develop into a pretty good QB.

Yeah it was G08. I was a fan of his  after he got McCown, Manziel, and Austin Davis to combine for 4000 yards, 20TDs, and 12 INTs with almost no talent to speak of around them. Closest thing to Jesus turning water into wine I've seen in the NFL. Thought he was too young though.

Then he worked with Wentz for two years, and now IDGAD what his age is. The transformation has been awesome to see. I wouldn't have even thought Luck (my favorite predraft QB prospect since Rodgers) would have been able to throw so many routes open or put the ball away from the defenders with that much regularity. Wentz did it constantly this year, on the Brady/Brees/Rodgers regularity..

I doubt we get a Rams-level turnaround, but consistent playoffs and deep runs go through QBs. That is why GB has owned Chicago for the 20ish years I have watched, that is what held us back when we had the best D/ST combo in the NFL, etc. If we get Tru developed to his potential, we will be fighting with MIN and GB for the division for the next 10 years (Zimmer has done an awesome job himself, but IDK what happens if/when Shurmur gets his HC shot again). Pace will keep stockpiling good talents via the draft, and supplement with FAs.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

Eagles are gonna need to hire a new DC and QB coach from the looks of things.

Queue Mike McCoy to end up working for his former subordinate.  Wouldn't be shocked to see Reich lobby to bring McCoy in as QB coach (which he's actually pretty good at - you just don't want McCoy gameplanning or calling plays).

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Queue Mike McCoy to end up working for his former subordinate.  Wouldn't be shocked to see Reich lobby to bring McCoy in as QB coach (which he's actually pretty good at - you just don't want McCoy gameplanning or calling plays).

It would keep a strong corps around Wentz.

Even if Reich and DeFilippo were both hired out I think McCoy would be a good OC for them. Pederson will still be the one calling plays, McCoy likely would have moire time to help gameplan if not trying to call plays. Might put him in a better situation as OC.

56 minutes ago, The LBC said:

One other, I suppose, just observation from me.  I can certainly see the connection to Fangio if the Packers elect to keep Capers' scheme.  But also, just looking at the state of the Packers' defensive personnel, I don't see a lot that necessitates them sticking with Capers' scheme.  These have, from what I can recall, been the instances where clubs tend to not shy away from scheme changes towards those which feature the younger, established talent that they do have on that side of the ball.  So yeah, there's a logical progression from Capers to Fangio since Fangio effectively runs Caper's same scheme, but the more operative question is: Might this be the cleanest opportunity for Green Bay to move on from Capers' scheme to something a better fit for the likes of Perry, Daniels, Dix, King, and Fackrell - none of whom are all that dependent on a 3-4 alignment for their success.

We we're rarely a 3-4 under Dom. Our most used D was essentially a 2-4-5. We treated Perry pretty much like a 4-3 DE and Daniels like a 4-3 UT and they succeeded in that role. 

I loved how we played our front 7, our big issue was always the back end. Our new DC will have young talent like HHCD, Josh Jones, King and Randall, it's just letting them play in a way they can be successful. You could tell guys were thinking out there. There was confusion and regression all year long from our DBs. Randall was the only one who took a big step forward.

I'm excited to see where we go, I'd be OK with Fangio or a totally new direction like you're stating. One thing is for sure, we need a starting pass rusher alongside Perry for our D to be successful. Guys like Peppers, Freeney, Harrison, etc all had good years older than Clay is, but not as every down players.

Archived