2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

10 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Question for all - why is Mike Vrabel getting as much run as he is right now? He took a top rated defense and drove it down to the 32nd ranked scoring defense. Point at the injuries, sure...but it's not like JJ Watt played last season. Is the loss of Whitney Mercilius THAT much of a swing?

In the case of the Lions, I think it makes more sense than the Colts.  The Lions' GM has roots in the Patriots organization and appears to be bringing in (to do due diligence at the very least) anyone with an Pats lineage.

Just now, The LBC said:

In the case of the Lions, I think it makes more sense than the Colts.  The Lions' GM has roots in the Patriots organization and appears to be bringing in (to do due diligence at the very least) anyone with an Pats lineage.

As far as I see, Vrabel is the first "Belicheck tree" guy that never coached for Belicheck. I guess a fairer tree would be the Urban Meyer tree?

Nonetheless, don't see him as a good hire, but I've been wrong before...

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I really don't want to go back and look for the tweet I saw, but the rumblings I heard were that Guenther is at the top of Gruden's list for DC in Las OakVegasland.

Yeah, it sounds like he'll end up there. Guenther was a strong candidate to replace Lewis and was waiting for that situation to unfold.

13 minutes ago, marky mark said:

Yeah, it sounds like he'll end up there. Guenther was a strong candidate to replace Lewis and was waiting for that situation to unfold.

One thing I find myself wondering - and it could certainly just be prognostication on my part, but - is whether we might not see one of the sought-after DC's by Baltimore (more specifically, Chuck Pagano) leave the Ravens hanging to take the same job under Marvin Lewis, knowing that Marvin is/has been already close to stepping to the side and seeing that a more immediate "in" to a(nother) head coaching opportunity.  Realizing that Pagano never actually coached under Marvin when Marvin was in Baltimore, this was more something that had come to mind for me when the talks were swelling that Elway might scapegoat Vance Joseph (who has coached under Marvin in the past - clearly, it was just two seasons ago).  But it remains a possibility and an interesting one.

10 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Question for all - why is Mike Vrabel getting as much run as he is right now? He took a top rated defense and drove it down to the 32nd ranked scoring defense. Point at the injuries, sure...but it's not like JJ Watt played last season. Is the loss of Whitney Mercilius THAT much of a swing?

Vance Joseph 2.0

2 hours ago, marky mark said:

If anyone thinks that the Vikes defense is George Edwards doing, they are kidding themselves. Zimmer calls the plays on game day  and it's his scheme. I just have a hard time taking someone like Edwards seriously as a HC candidate but I'm sure he will get a lot of looks based on Zimmers success and to fulfill the Rooney rule.

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If anyone thinks that the Vikes defense is George Edwards doing, they are kidding themselves. Zimmer calls the plays on game day  and it's his scheme. I just have a hard time taking someone like Edwards seriously as a HC candidate but I'm sure he will get a lot of looks based on Zimmers success and to fulfill the Rooney rule.

16 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Funny you ask that because there's actually an article written asking the exact same thing:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mike-vrabel-nfl-head-coach-candidate-black-monday-coaching-carousel

If you ask me what has surprised me the most over the past five days, since I’ve been asking team people and some coaches with jobs about the various coaching searches around the NFL, I would say it comes down to this name: Houston defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel.

I have heard four people from four different teams bring up Vrabel as a possible 2018 head coach, and certainly as someone whom teams will be interested in interviewing. Detroit GM Bob Quinn will interview him for the Lions’ vacancy on Wednesday, and The MMQB’s Albert Breer says Indianapolis and Arizona could also be interested in talking to Vrabel about their openings.

The 42-year-old Vrabel, coming off his first season as a coordinator, will have some difficult questions to answer, including this one: You coached the worst scoring defense in the league in your only year as coordinator—why should we hire you as our head coach?

That will be a big one to get over. The Texans allowed seven points more per game in 2017 than in ’16, and Vrabel’s unit struggled to get over the early losses of Whitney Mercilus and J.J. Watt. So it’s a legitimate question, and one that coaches who have waited for an opportunity will pounce on if Vrabel gets his shot so soon.

24 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Funny you ask that because there's actually an article written asking the exact same thing:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/mike-vrabel-nfl-head-coach-candidate-black-monday-coaching-carousel

Yeah, a few local sports talk guys bringing up this article. It's legit questions all around, and you can't just wave a wand and blame injuries.

Maybe he's a delegates better than schemes and would be a strong HC, but the production does not meet with the advancement.

7 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Yeah, a few local sports talk guys bringing up this article. It's legit questions all around, and you can't just wave a wand and blame injuries.

Maybe he's a delegates better than schemes and would be a strong HC, but the production does not meet with the advancement.

Are there any examples of guys that were mediocre or bad as coordinators but good as HCs?

Archived