2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

3 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Maybe teams are just sick of having dumb head coaches. 

???

Im not questioning why teams are looking for new head coaches.   Im questioning why Patricia in particular was considered a top candidate.   And dont get me wrong, if a team interviews him and thinks he is their man based on their interview....thats fine.   I just dont get why he was seemingly so highly regarded as a potential head coach.     

And in regards to your post....as Ive said before, some are just better coordinators than head coaches.      Sometimes, smart coordinators make dumb head coaches.....and you usually dont find out until its too late.

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

???

Im not questioning why teams are looking for new head coaches.   Im questioning why Patricia in particular was considered a top candidate.   And dont get me wrong, if a team interviews him and thinks he is their man based on their interview....thats fine.   I just dont get why he was seemingly so highly regarded as a potential head coach.     

And in regards to your post....as Ive said before, some are just better coordinators than head coaches.      Sometimes, smart coordinators make dumb head coaches.....and you usually dont find out until its too late.

Maybe he was making a sarcastic quip about the fact that Patricia is literally a rocket scientist, lol.

Prefacing this by saying there is nothing substantial behind it yet and obviously nobody knows who the next owner will be or when the next owner will be decided.  I'm unfamiliar with how long the process typically takes.

With that said, there has been a lot of speculation that Rivera's extension was more-so us giving him financial security rather than a guarantee he will coach the team next year.  A lot of people think the next owner will out the coaching staff, paying off their contracts, and bring in there own group of guys.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:54 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Im all for teams hiring coaches based on interviews and how they perceive the individuals fit as a HEAD coach within their organization....but Ill be honest....not entirely sure why Matt Patricia was such a hot candidate.    

I've met him and heard him speak to a large group (he's in the same fraternity I am and he was a keynote speaker at a conference two years ago), he's more than just intelligent, he knows how to communicate, inspire, and he's definitely a leader of men.  Just for reference, Al Saunders is in our same fraternity and there are some definite similarities in how the speak to and inspire groups, but Patricia just managed to find ways to connect with multiple (age) generations better than Saunders did... and I left Saunders keynote speech feeling pumped.

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

I've met him and heard him speak to a large group (he's in the same fraternity I am and he was a keynote speaker at a conference two years ago), he's more than just intelligent, he knows how to communicate, inspire, and he's definitely a leader of men.  Just for reference, Al Saunders is in our same fraternity and there are some definite similarities in how the speak to and inspire groups, but Patricia just managed to find ways to connect with multiple (age) generations better than Saunders did... and I left Saunders keynote speech feeling pumped.

Thanks for the info on him.

Wasnt knocking on the guy.   Was just wondering since the only thing that seemed consistently good about his defenses were the red zone performance.   But as Ive said many times, I think head coaches should be hired based more on who they are rather than what theyve shown as coordinators since that doesnt always mean much. 

Archived