2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

12 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Once it can be finalized there should be a thread on it, but until then:

Good signing by them and for him. Manning next season and Rosen/Darnold starting the year after that.

I would have assumed that Bradford or Keenum would follow Shurmur but that probably won't happen with Manning under contract. Not a bad spot for Shurmur, he will get to take one of the top two QBs. More attractive than the AZ job.

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Hopefully McDaniels has lowered his ego a bit from his Denver days. 

So who does Tennessee get now?

Somehow I feel like the Colts and Titans are going to fall over themselves trying to bring in McDaniels (who I have some minor confidence in to actually get his act right the second go-round) and the other (because I don't know why Arizona isn't actively just trying to get this done) is probably going to end up lucking into Flip.  

3 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Titans firing Mularkey after a playoff win....Smartest move they could've made, I'd imagine he was offered an extension if he made changes to the offensive staff but bit the bullet so he wouldn't have to fire his guys or the titans were going to fire him regardless.

Hiring McDaniels isn't much better though, but he should improve the offense by leaps and bounds.

I think this also has something to do with the comments Mularkey made about the speculation of his job 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/01/06/titans-mularkey-not-feeling-much-support-in-playoff-push/109222802/

Mularkey was asked whether the speculation had an effect on him, and he replied: "If it has an effect on my family, it has an effect on me. So, yeah. I'd say it had a big effect on me."

Then, he was asked whether he felt sure no matter what happens in the playoffs.

"No," he said. "I haven't had any support to say that I was (secure). No. I just assumed the worst."

I think they offered him an extension and he turned it down. Now it’s probably likely there were conditions to the extension that he didn’t want but I think he gave them the middle finger 

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Somehow I feel like the Colts and Titans are going to fall over themselves trying to bring in McDaniels (who I have some minor confidence in to actually get his act right the second go-round) and the other (because I don't know why Arizona isn't actively just trying to get this done) is probably going to end up lucking into Flip.  

I'm not sure, according to some Bears beat reporters, Flip completely bombed his interview in Chicago and showed that he had absolutely no idea how to assemble a staff.  Maybe he did better in other cities.

3 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not sure, according to some Bears beat reporters, Flip completely bombed his interview in Chicago and showed that he had absolutely no idea how to assemble a staff.  Maybe he did better in other cities.

He's carrying the endorsements of a number of former execs that I respect.  And his resource Rolodex pool to draw a staff from is better than most of the current available candidates.  He could have bombed, it's possible; it could also be beat reporters willing to carry water for the club to maintain their level of access (which we've seen before around the league) and pushing the narrative the team wants so that fans/season-ticket-buyers and players aren't unsettled by the once-leading candidate not being the one to get the hire.

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

He's carrying the endorsements of a number of former execs that I respect.  And his resource Rolodex pool to draw a staff from is better than most of the current available candidates.  He could have bombed, it's possible; it could also be beat reporters willing to carry water for the club to maintain their level of access (which we've seen before around the league) and pushing the narrative the team wants so that fans/season-ticket-buyers and players aren't unsettled by the once-leading candidate not being the one to get the hire.

He really hasn't been mentioned very much from the Arizona media. Of course he was interviewed, but not much has been said after that. Could be because he's still got another game to coach, but so does Shurmur and Flores and they've had plenty of rumors swirling around in our media. It seems as though our interest isn't there, could be totally wrong though

Funny to see and hear about the same retread getting fired and hired every year.

McDaniels at least is smart.  I would give him a second chance. All these other guys are more of the same.  Average at best. Horribad most likely. 

Shurmur is terrible coach. Not sure why you all are happy for Giants. They will suck under Shurmur.  

They others are just retreads including Gruden who basically is overrated. And been not working more than 30 hours a week for 9 years now. So he isn't even hungry either. I guess he is fun abd gives good interview. I expect him to Joe Gibbs it up. 

20 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

He really hasn't been mentioned very much from the Arizona media. Of course he was interviewed, but not much has been said after that. Could be because he's still got another game to coach, but so does Shurmur and Flores and they've had plenty of rumors swirling around in our media. It seems as though our interest isn't there, could be totally wrong though

Flip is coming in for a second interview.

Munchak is coming in for a second interview.

They wanted a second interview with Shurmur

Haven't heard a peep on Flores.

1 hour ago, GongKong said:

Funny to see and hear about the same retread getting fired and hired every year.

McDaniels at least is smart.  I would give him a second chance. All these other guys are more of the same.  Average at best. Horribad most likely. 

Shurmur is terrible coach. Not sure why you all are happy for Giants. They will suck under Shurmur.  

They others are just retreads including Gruden who basically is overrated. And been not working more than 30 hours a week for 9 years now. So he isn't even hungry either. I guess he is fun abd gives good interview. I expect him to Joe Gibbs it up. 

McDaniels, Gruden, and Shurmer are the only guys with HC experience that have even been interviewed by anybody. Not sure what you are even talking about with "retreads" though i am pretty sure your not either.

Archived