Dom Capers will not return next year

jiggad369

Just now, cannondale said:

Well that's the next million dollar question. You can't interview before the season is over, but you gotta believe MM has put feelers out ? On the other hand MM has had his hands full with Rodgers / Hundley / games etc so I have no clue. Worse case scenario is we can hit the ground running on the interview process

I'd be shocked if the Packers didn't ask to interview potential candidates.  Obviously teams that are playing in Wild Card weekend are probably going to block interviews, but teams who have a bye (PHI, MIN, NE, PIT) are probably going to be more willing to let their coaches interview.  I'd imagine that Minnesota will block any and all interviews though, so let's assume they're out.

This frustrating season at least has a positive end to it. Change was needed and this is a move that IMO was a few yrs overdo. Rather than tear the guy down though I'll thank him for helping in bringing another title to GB. The defense that yr was phenomenal.

Rapoport already linking Fangio to GB and it would make a lot of sense. He learned under Capers so it would be a smooth transition.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Fangio isn't that exciting to me, he's older too, how much longer until we're back in the same boat?

If he's the guy that can hit the ground running without any major transition needed for scheme or personnel - fine by me if its short term.

He had the Bears in the Top 10 in both yards and points this year. My only preference is to not promote from within. Other than that,  I'll trust the process

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Fangio isn't that exciting to me, he's older too, how much longer until we're back in the same boat?

Well, Rodgers just turned 34 a few weeks ago. We're likely talking about a good 3-5 yr window left here. McCarthy is also going on the last yr of his deal(though I'd expect him to get another extension). I don't think he wants to go with a young, unproven guy hoping to strike gold. Fangio is well known and respected. He had those Niners defenses near the top of the league every yr and has a less than talented Bears defense outperforming it's personnel IMO

In any case, there won't be a shortage of candidates available so if there's a time for a change at DC it's now. Could see as many as 8-9 HC openings around the league, which will make plenty of assistants there for the choosing

Opinions I've been reading have been that Fangio's availability for us probably depends on what kinds of terms we're on with Capers as he leaves. Since the two are close, Capers could either be his foot in the door here or if things are soured between Capers and the FO, it could be a turn-off for Fangio. I have to imagine that at this point, Capers knew there weren't really many other offers and knowing TT, I'd think the departure would be a graceful one.