Dean Pees

alfalcone

Multiple reports, Russell Street Report and ESPN, saying he will retire.  He will always have a mixed legacy in Baltimore, ran a defense that was far too conservative and relied heavily on a bend but not break philosophy, but he was generally effective.  Hopefully we can get some fresh blood a la Jim Leonard in.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921592

34 minutes ago, alfalcone said:

Multiple reports, Russell Street Report and ESPN, saying he will retire.  He will always have a mixed legacy in Baltimore, ran a defense that was far too conservative and relied heavily on a bend but not break philosophy, but he was generally effective.  Hopefully we can get some fresh blood a la Jim Leonard in.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21921592

You think he's ready for the NFL?  I don't oppose it necessarily, the Wisky D has looked quite good, but just nervous about a first time NFL coach with one year of DC at the college, and only two years of coaching total.

I would prefer Pagano given his track record (and maybe bringing in Reed as the secondary coach, given their relationship).

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

the Wisky D has looked quite good, but just nervous about a first time NFL coach with one year of DC at the college, and only two years of coaching total.

Wisconsin's D didn't look too great in the Orange Bowl earlier today.

I too would be worried about a guy with that sort of resume taking over an NFL D but I'm not because it won't happen in Baltimore.

Dean Pees never had a defense, that performed better than it should. He had defenses underperform and in general, he had to have a boatload of talent to make his defense work. We invested so much in that defense year after year, and we have never seen a consistent good defense. It has always been up and down, 2017 as well, which imo very much has to do with his play-not-to-lose scheme.

Pagano should come back. He somewhat embraced the culture we wanted on defense and is a coach the players seem ro rally around.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Wisconsin's D didn't look too great in the Orange Bowl earlier today.

I too would be worried about a guy with that sort of resume taking over an NFL D but I'm not because it won't happen in Baltimore.

I would be more against Leonhard for reasons that if he did perform well at coordinator he’s exactly the kind of up and coming coach that teams would covet to turn into a head coach immediately. And we’d once again be looking for a replacement. I’d prefer a guy like Pagano only because he’s a fizzled out option that teams might hesitate towards courting.

Maybe its the industry I'm in, but I'm a big believer in underwriting a new hire for two years.  Harbaugh is old enough to think about a replacement, then again his brother is quoted as saying the following, "You're born, you play football for as long as they let you, you coach football and then you die," which leads me to believe that ownership has another 10 years underwritten.

I would actually like to see Chuck Pagano come back. Pagano and Indy are apparently parting ways today. The Ravens had the #3 defense under Pagano in 2011.

Kinda crazy that the year Pees decides to hang it up, Marvin Lewis, Rex Ryan and Chuck Pagano will all be available. Of the 3, I think Marvin Lewis is least likely to take less than a head coaching position.

My greatest fear is that Harbaugh will look to someone from his past first (ala Greg Mattison and Dean Pees). Someone from his mid-America college days or someone he coached with in Philly as opposed to someone that is a great defensive coach better qualified for the job.

I think Harbaugh will understand the gravity of the his position and go all out in his defensive coordinator search, similar to the year we pulled in Gary Kubiak.

So I’m thinking we see either Chuck Pagano or I’m thinking he will interview coaches for the position- obviously including in house candidates.

Archived