Dean Pees

alfalcone

Do we know anything about Martindale as a DC, like preferences, scheme, personality etc.?

While it is a positive that players love him, it ultimately won't matter much if he is just Dean Pees v.2.

Look at what they have build with the Vikings. A strong 3. down defense that has a very high floor and produce takeaways.

The Vikings defense is what our defense was supposed to be this year. Instead we got a high ceiling loooow floor defense all year.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Do we know anything about Martindale as a DC, like preferences, scheme, personality etc.?

While it is a positive that players love him, it ultimately won't matter much if he is just Dean Pees v.2.

Look at what they have build with the Vikings. A strong 3. down defense that has a very high floor and produce takeaways.

The Vikings defense is what our defense was supposed to be this year. Instead we got a high ceiling loooow floor defense all year.

Martindale was DC for 1 year in Denver in 2010, and the results were..........very bad:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2010.htm#all_team_stats

That defense didn't rank higher than 15th in ANY defensive category. They were 32nd (last) in PPG, YPG, Rushing TD's, and Turnover Percentage.

That right there should really be enough to disqualify him, IMO. If Harbaugh really believes that is the right guy for this job, he needs to be fired immediately and placed in a psych ward.

Another potential option to be on the lookout for might be Terryl Austin. He’s currently defensive coordinator for the Lions but he does have ties to the Ravens organization and if he doesn’t get the head coaching job there and someone else does and replaces him, I would definitely be intrigued with bringing him back.

I’m thinking Harbaugh will do like he did with Gary Kubiak back in 2013 (or was it 2012?), where he goes outside of his coaching tree. So it wouldn’t shock me for us to go after a great leader of men along the defense. I personally hope we target an older coach who has fizzled out as a head coach so we don’t have to see him poached.

With those things being said, I’d love to see us take a look at John Fox. He has a long history with coaching defense. He’s proven he can lead and have the respect of players. I don’t think he has a huge enough ego where he wouldn’t be able to take a step backwards and be unhappy. Lastly, he grew up in Virginia Beach. Which is only an hour flight away from Baltimore (3-4 hour drive). So it would put him close to family as well.

The last time Baltimore hired a defensive coordinator from outside the organization was Marvin Lewis in 1996. Also in 1996 Harbaugh coached with Martindale at Cincinnati. Pair that with Don being an awful choice and it's a virtual lock he gets promoted. I'm not wasting any hope on a different result. 

Harbaugh is going to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. It won't come and he will be fired in 3-4 years, and then maybe the franchise will take a step forward into the new decade. Maybe.

Yeah, I'm extremely disillusioned with the Ravens. There's just not much to put faith in. Bad decisions and mediocre play are coming (again).

Harbaugh had previously only had a history of working with coaches that he knew or had connections with his family before the Gary Kubiak hire. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he goes that route now. Pressure is one of human kinds greatest motivators. And their may not be the pressure of getting fired, but certainly there’s the pressure of being on the hot seat moving forward.

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Harbaugh had previously only had a history of working with coaches that he knew or had connections with his family before the Gary Kubiak hire. I wouldn’t be too surprised if he goes that route now. Pressure is one of human kinds greatest motivators. And their may not be the pressure of getting fired, but certainly there’s the pressure of being on the hot seat moving forward.

Would it be reasonable to say that before we hired Morningweg, there was substantial pressure to get the offense a good coordinator? Two years later and the results are worse than ever before.

I would love to believe that Harbaugh will expand beyond his coaching tree and get creative with the search, but there's nothing to indicate that's going to happen. If he stays within his coaching tree and simply promotes Martindale, it'll be the 2nd worst coaching hire he's ever done, with number 1 being Trestman.

Two years ago we were still known as a perennial playoff team. Also Mornhinweg was our quarterbacks coach and only took over after Trestman was removed mid season. This past season he dealt with very little talent to start with and then had a host of injuries that decimated it further. He had a banged up quarterback for half the season too. So that scenario, I feel, isn’t analogous to the one with the defense. In fact, I’m not even against retaining Mornhinweg, his offense struggled in the first half due to poor ball placement and even worse receiving hands, that’s on the players. He adjusted his playcalling in the second half to shorter passes and also coached a comeback from down by multiple scores to take the lead. So I don’t think that’s a bad hire until we have talent offensively and an average injury situation and we still produce the same offense we had for much of this season.

So far, I’d rather take a wait and see approach with Mornhinweg than to be one of those teams that are constantly running their business like reactionary fans and wonder why they keep struggling and can’t build momentum (Browns, Lions, Bengals before Marvin Lewis, etc) from year to year.

But back to the point. I think this defensive situation more closely resembles the offensive situation and frustration we were in after Cam Cameron’s failures and then Caldwell only being a somewhat more competent version. It was clear that we needed change... and Harbaugh responded by going out of his coaching tree. Our defense has gone from Mattison to Dean Pees. Both coaches who were below average to bad. The fans are frustrated and we haven’t been to the playoffs no matter how much we’ve invested defensively. So if the answer isn’t inside then I think based off the past precedent, Harbaugh will respond by taking this coaching search more serious than simply promoting Martindale because of loyalty.

The news stories coming out that he’s the top in-house candidate makes sense. Because he is. But those reports have to say that and Harbaugh would have to say that, otherwise why would a coach stay on your staff if you wouldn’t even give them the respect of giving them a shot... kind of like how Rex Ryan was the Baltimore’s top in-house candidate to replace Brian Billick for  head coach, but in reality the organization wanted something different, someone younger and that was more even keeled than Ryan. Harbaugh will talk Martindale up because he has to, but I’m sure when it’s all said and done, we’ll see Pagano, Austin, Fangio, Fox, or someone that is a veteran coach that has proven to be a good defensive coordinator at one point in time. I doubt he goes outside of the organization to hire a positional coach that’s up and coming that has yet to prove anything though. That doesn’t feel like his style.

I’ve got this strong feeling that Vic Fangio will become the defensive coordinator.

He wants to become a head coach in the league. And the Ravens track record of producing head coach candidates out of their coordinators is very high. So I think they might sell him on the idea that if he produces one to two great defensive seasons he will be looked at as a top head coaching candidate in the league.

And his strong relationship with the Harbaugh clan also makes him highly likely to come in IMO. If he stays with the Bears, any falloff on defense would probably see him removed, whereas in Baltimore an attractive aspect of the job has to be Harbaugh’s loyalty and focus on consistency. A coordinator isn’t going to be discarded quickly even with a lack of success. They’ll get at least two seasons.

For fans, that might suck. But from an actual coach’s perspective, having that kind of security for my family would be a huge selling point. I have a feeling that he’ll be the guy.

I'd be okay with Vic Fangio as the Defensive Coordinator. We saw what he can do with the 49ers, and during his and Harbaugh's tenure there, that defense was a fearsome unit. Combine that with the obvious Harbaugh connection and Ravens connection that he has, it makes it a logical choice.

I wouldn't be opposed to either of Fangio or Pagano, but if we don't go with either of those guys, I want someone young/creative who isn't a retread or in-house candidate.

I was the biggest person on the Chuck Pagano for defensive coordinator bandwagon back in the day, but I don’t think we see him coaching this season. He’s being paid head coach money by the Colts for the next two seasons and with having had cancer and having stated in 2015 that the Colts job would be his last, I think he’s going to be done for at least a few years. You have to think he must have made some promises of committing more time to his family after all that’s happened.

If anything I could see Fangio brought in as our defensive coordinator and Pagano brought on as some sort of senior defensive advisor, where he can still “stay active in the game” without the same time commitment of a true coach. And for Harbaugh that would really win a lot of morale over with fans. As opposed to getting one of their two fan favorites... they would get both.

Archived