Broncos Trade for G Allen Barbre (Conditional Pick)

Broncofan

I posted this in the old Forum, but might as well keep this one current...

So the Broncos just traded with the Eagles for Allen Barbre, who while able to play a few positions, is best as an interior OL.  Isaac Seumalo was going to win the starting spot, so PHI wanted salary cap relief (2.1M) for a guy no longer starting.  Seumalo was the definition of above-average, ranking 23rd out of 72 G's according to PFF.   Now, he's going to be 33, so this is a quick-fix, but even if he could be a top 30 G (remember there are 2 starting G's per team, so 60-70 G's will qualify for ranking), that would be a step up from last year, let alone if he can be a top 20 G.

I applaud the move, but this also has to be ominous for how the Broncos see Max Garcia's present and future:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/890312339609833473

This has to be a sign that they aren't comfortable with Garcia as their starting G - first they moved Leary to RG after initially putting him in his old LG spot (Leary said he didn't care which side he played) around to help get Garcia more comfortable in his old position - wonder if they will move Leary back to the left side with this news, or bank on Barbre helping Bolles more than Garcia would, and keep Leary on the RG spot.

I think bodes badly for both Garcia and Schofield. I think it also is a sign they want Leary to play on his natural left side next to Bolles, a rookie with limited upside, a penchant for committing penalties and a poor pedigree who they reached for in the draft. 

This was a really smart move by Elway, the pick is a conditional one probably based on playing time and, I would wager would be at most a 5th. 

Other than Orlando Franklin and Matt Paradis, Elway is yet to draft a lineman who is not a bust so it's good he's able to plug some holes with trades and the like. 

No surprise but VJ confirmed today that Barbre is playing exclusively at LG.  Looks like Leary will stay at RG as plan A while Barbre & Garcia battle for the LG spot.

This holds up I see it as the staff's first major mistake. 

You spent a crap ton of money on Leary you need to play him at his natural position (LG) and in doing so give some help to Bollles. You make due on the right side and have a strong left. This incessant shifting around cannot work.

If we start moving everyone around everywhere it's a sign that all hope is lost. We might as well just have a chimp throw darts at the wall and the first five names that hit is our OL.

@AnAngryAmerican, time will tell - but keep in mind that Barbre graded out really well in pass pro last year as the Eagles LG - even when Lane Johnson was suspended for 10 games.  In 262 pass snaps, he allowed 2 sacks and 14 pressures - and did so without Johnson as LT.   Leary's pass pro stats look good, but that's in the context of Tyrone Smith and Travis Frederick bookending him, when the film shows he's the pass pro weak link there.    

Leary would be a road grader with Bolles for sure in the run game - so your concern that we don't beef up a lockdown run blocking side is very much on-point - it may be that pass-pro actually is better with Barbre as LG, rather than Leary.  Time will tell.   Either way, as discussed before, this really knocks the shine off Garcia's long-term prospects as our LG if he can't crack the lineup - by year 3, no excuses on being able to win a starting job, at least not on an OL that's far from elite.   

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/07/releasing_allen_barbre_is_a_mistake_by_the_eagles.html

EDIT:  @paul-mac correctly pointed out that Lane Johnson was the RT, not LT, still Jason Peters.  Props.

Archived