Week 17 GDT - Saints (11-4) @ Buccaneers (4-11)

Mid Iowa

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

After these last few weeks TE has moved to my #2 need for the Saints. Without someone who can be a safety net/draw some coverage our offense is really inefficient.

I agree we need one bad.  A guy named Zach Line is getting TD passes.  Fleener has been a disappointment, and Snead has been a no show for whatever reasons.

We can afford to not take a QB, BUT we should if there's one we love. I mean, we almost did that with Mahomes last year.

If there's not one though, then I'd say we need LB, TE, and WR in that order. Call me crazy here but... could we possibly bring back Jimmy Graham?

27 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

We can afford to not take a QB, BUT we should if there's one we love. I mean, we almost did that with Mahomes last year.

If there's not one though, then I'd say we need LB, TE, and WR in that order. Call me crazy here but... could we possibly bring back Jimmy Graham?

I wouldn't be opposed but not for a lot of money.  I'd rather have a guy that can block, but we definitely need a dependable receiving TE.  I doubt this ever happens though.

5 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

We finish the season with the 4th ranked offense and tied for 8th (with the Rams) ranked defense. Not bad. 

Started 0-2 this year. Finished as one of the best team's in the NFL. With one of the toughest schedules in the league. I'll take that every time.

I just feel like Payton/Brees had a plan to sabotage this game. We held the lead until they saw Atlanta had a 12 point lead with no chance for Carolina to win.

I know that sounds conspiracy like, but you can't tell me that no receivers could get open, no holes could get open for Ingram, and you can't tell me the Buccs offense is that good that they hang that many on us late.

I'm thinking if we really focus, get back to mid-season form, and actually execute on offense (with non retarded play calling) we have a chance at going deep.

If this was a real football game, we're done next week, at home, for the whole world to see. At that point, I'll be right back on the #FirePayton bandwagon.

37 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I just feel like Payton/Brees had a plan to sabotage this game. We held the lead until they saw Atlanta had a 12 point lead with no chance for Carolina to win.

I know that sounds conspiracy like, but you can't tell me that no receivers could get open, no holes could get open for Ingram, and you can't tell me the Buccs offense is that good that they hang that many on us late.

I'm thinking if we really focus, get back to mid-season form, and actually execute on offense (with non retarded play calling) we have a chance at going deep.

If this was a real football game, we're done next week, at home, for the whole world to see. At that point, I'll be right back on the #FirePayton bandwagon.

The Bucs just played us hard, this was their superbowl.  They played really well on offense and defense, and if it wasn't for Jameis being Jameis, the score could have gotten ugly.  When Jameis plays well, they have a good offense.

We didn't play like a top playoff team, our blocking is inconsistent, our receivers are inconsistent, our defense is banged up and all of our weaknesses shown through.  We've had these offensive problems for a while now.  Some games the run blocking is insanely good, and others it isn't good at all. Playcalling has something to do with it, but I don't think it's as big an issue as some believe.  At the end of the day, the players have to block their guy, the receivers have to run good routes, the QB has to throw good balls.  The punt returner has to secure the ball.  Priority number 1 for punt returner:  No one cares how many return yards you get, but DO NOT fumble the football.

We'll be ready for the playoffs. This game was lost because of mistakes, from both players and coaches. It didn't seem like they were really trying too hard and I understand that. In the playoffs, I think they'll prepare and execute better.

What was Brees' deal? He was dead set on basically 1 guy. The only WR's targeted were Thomas & Ginn. No Snead, no Coleman, no Lewis. And he had his happy feet again, the minute he sensed pressure, he made a conservative dump.

This is what I was seeing from him in the beginning of the year, and I commented about it a few times. Hope he shakes it, or we're done.

You've got the defense getting turn overs, Kamara lighting it up on special teams, and that's about it.

One thing not many are talking about and its something I sensed in 2009 as well. 

The Saints had clinched... Sure they would have loved to play, win and secure a home game in the playoffs but what you typically see happen is players understanding that reguardless of the outcome of week 17, they have a playoff game to be ready for the following week.

Far too often when teams have clinched a spot in the post season and enter week 17 aganist a team playing their last game of the season I see a underdog team playing for their futures while the better team has a bunch of players playing not to get hurt and thats kinda what I saw in week 17 with the Bucs and Saints.

Archived