Giants to pick #2 in 2018 NFL Draft

Acgott

17 hours ago, Acgott said:

Their position is a major flaw. You can’t take a guard with the #2 pick.

You absolutely can. Guards are increasing in value. I’d rather much sign Pugh, and draft Nelson than sign Norwell for big money. 

If you’re picking a QB at 2, being a borderline top 10 player is not enough. You have to be at the very least Ben or at the very very least Matt Ryan. So it’s not just a simple case of “is he our QBOFTF? If so then yeah take him”.

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

So a running back has been taken top 10 6 times in the past 10 years and what? Did I say it’s never been done. And I what said is fact, you CAN get similar production in the later rounds. I just never said it’s guaranteed. LT you would find that the overwhelming majority are 1st rounders. Yes there are some other positions where you can appy the same logic. Difference is that RBs have the shortest shelf life of them all and for RBs it is more noticeably apparent than othe positions aside from guard.  Notice the names you mentioned, only 3 of them lived up to their draft selection. McCaffrey and Fournette are a bit early but none of them were even the top 2 best rookie RBs. 

A little over 20% of 1st round picks are busts.  So if 30% of 1st round RBs are busts then so be it.  The thing about RB is that a studly RB likely has the most impact on the outcome of a game outside of QB.  Given the weapons we have through the air we're a stud RB and a decent O-line away from having a terrifying offense.  We CAN make one more Super Bowl push with Eli IMO.  The team just needs to plug some holes.  If we can keep opposing defenses on the field in the 3rd and 4th quarter with a solid running game it's going to improve the whole team.

Barkley has more value than just in the running game. He is already a solid pass protector and has Leveon Bell like attributes in terms of splitting out wide and running routes. Do we have even a single RB right now that can effectively execute a wheel route? He was also one of the best kick returners in college football last year, a position we are going to need once we jettison Dwayne Harris. Barkley is a great runner, but he also can catch, block, and return kicks. He makes your whole team better, no question. 

This positional importance thing is BS. That goes for Barkley at RB and Nelson at G. Guards are more valuable now than they've ever been. There is a similar renaissance right now at interior DL/interior OL as there has been the past decade or so with WRs/CBs. Receivers were/are the most freakishly athletic players in the league and obtaining CBs to keep up with them became a super high priority because of the receivers' ability to take over a game single handedly. You need good guard play now more than ever with freak athletes like Geno Atkins, Aaron Donald, Fletcher Cox, Suh, etc playing DT. Having a lane for your quarterback to step up into is so valuable and you can't have that if your center and guards are getting pushed back off the snap. 

A very real possibility: Giants have Darnold as their QB1. The Browns do as well and take him at 1. The Giants have Barkley rated as their 2nd highest graded player and take him.

The more I look into all these QBs, the more I'm finding faults. Allen has great personality traits, perfect physical traits, but his inaccuracy issue is very real and those are very tough to fix. Rosen is a great pocket passer and a very smart guy, but his durability issues scare me. Moving on from ironman Eli to a guy who will rarely play 16 games is not an option. I was willing to overlook Mayfield's personality issues for a while, but his press interviews at the combine really rubbed me the wrong way. No way he can handle the NY market. He's easily the most accurate passer in the draft and I love his competitiveness, but his personality and like of ideal size are negatives. I like Lamar Jackson as well, but he needs more work than anyone. His foot and arm work are sloppy. Darnold is the best of the bunch. The biggest knock on him is his interceptions, but I think the concern with those is as big as the concern was with Watson's interceptions last year. They are collectable. He's got the intangibles, size, production, and mechanics. Allen is the most interesting as a project, but I think he is fools gold. I'm not sure his accuracy issues are correctable. I trust Shurmur to evaluate that though. 

4 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

A little over 20% of 1st round picks are busts.  So if 30% of 1st round RBs are busts then so be it.  The thing about RB is that a studly RB likely has the most impact on the outcome of a game outside of QB.  Given the weapons we have through the air we're a stud RB and a decent O-line away from having a terrifying offense.  We CAN make one more Super Bowl push with Eli IMO.  The team just needs to plug some holes.  If we can keep opposing defenses on the field in the 3rd and 4th quarter with a solid running game it's going to improve the whole team.

Again I’m not saying we shouldn’t take Barkley because there have been busts at the position. I’m saying that we shouldn’t take Barkley because it’s hard to live up to his hype and I’m sure we can get better value elsewhere. But like I keep saying if we address the o-line in FA then I’d be more comfortable. It’s not really about an individual RB, it’s about having a stout running game. That’s why I rather go o-line because it lessens the need for an elite talent. Prioritise the line first or rather if you’re gonna take Barkley you better prioritise the o-line to compliment that, don’t just add Barkley and think it solves our running game 

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

All this debate over Barkley vs. a QB.  You are the New York Football Giants.  You are in a unique position to make this an easy solution.  Just let Kate Mara make the decision!

Gratuitous Kate Mara pic incoming...  :)

27z92fb.jpg

Surrrre, @Uncle Buck- that's easy for YOU to say- you used to date her! (And don't give me that "just good friends" stuff, we all know better).  Us lonely Average Joes, all we have to warm the nights is FootballFuture.com, it isn't fair!!

18 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

All this debate over Barkley vs. a QB.  You are the New York Football Giants.  You are in a unique position to make this an easy solution.  Just let Kate Mara make the decision!

Gratuitous Kate Mara pic incoming...  :)

27z92fb.jpg

She’s average at best. 4th rounder maybe.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

Margot Robbie, Allison Brie, Meagon Good, Taraji  just to name a few.

When you look at Jennifer Lawrence's body, she has IT more than Robbie, Brie and Mara. I like Kate Mara but she has to bring it harder to get those roles. Just sleeping around with producers/directors isn't gonna cut it when everybody else is doing the same. Kate is a little plain  and would benefit from both the gym and plastic surgery.  Now, I'm with you about about Megan and Taraji, but it's just gonna be me and you, lol.

In the end, I take JLaw and Robbie 1st round, for body and beauty. Kate is a 4th round player with bloodlines, so that bumps her. Still not 1st round though and that's why she's struggling outchea.

On 3/4/2018 at 3:48 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Again I’m not saying we shouldn’t take Barkley because there have been busts at the position. I’m saying that we shouldn’t take Barkley because it’s hard to live up to his hype and I’m sure we can get better value elsewhere. But like I keep saying if we address the o-line in FA then I’d be more comfortable. It’s not really about an individual RB, it’s about having a stout running game. That’s why I rather go o-line because it lessens the need for an elite talent. Prioritise the line first or rather if you’re gonna take Barkley you better prioritise the o-line to compliment that, don’t just add Barkley and think it solves our running game 

Barkley lessens the need for O-Line talent. And I don't really get your "hard to live up to the hype" reasoning. Couldn't you say the same about Luck?

On 3/4/2018 at 7:45 AM, Kip Smithers said:

You absolutely can. Guards are increasing in value. I’d rather much sign Pugh, and draft Nelson than sign Norwell for big money. 

If you’re picking a QB at 2, being a borderline top 10 player is not enough. You have to be at the very least Ben or at the very very least Matt Ryan. So it’s not just a simple case of “is he our QBOFTF? If so then yeah take him”.

Other than Luck, there's no such thing as a surefire Big Ben/Matt Ryan in the NFL draft. This is how the Browns have operated since 2000...turn down every guy waiting for Prince Charming and you end up an old spinster.

Archived